Self Installation of Dish 500+ for 118.7 EARC

I'm retracting my answer because I really have no idea. It should be possible, but I'm thinking it would be a PIA.

Last edited:
And what about equipment wise? Is that all I need?
If i get the superdish, is that enough?

And I have almost no experience with installing a dish

Last edited:
Just called Dish and told me if I add the dish myself, I would have to call up and they will have to add the orbital location to the account and I lose the package I currently have so I'm not moving forward an not doing the self-install. Thanks to those who replied.

Just called Dish and told me if I add the dish myself, I would have to call up and they will have to add the orbital location to the account...
I'm pretty sure that's a false statement. I never had to call Dish when I changed my antennas around. Just run Check Switch and you're done.

I'm pretty sure that's a false statement. I never had to call Dish when I changed my antennas around. Just run Check Switch and you're done.

It's recommended to call us, but updating (or not for that matter) will not effect the end user. In the case of the OP, I wouldn't call us because if we make ANY changes to the account, our system will make try to take off the grandfathered programming

Recommendation: install 118.7, and don't tell us.

Problem I'm seeing is...why install 118.7 unless you want to add programming from it. If you're just piecing together a dish, you need the old style 500+ LNB (DP not DPP). You can use 500+ or 1k4 dish assembly. Point using 119 (2D port) and then run a cable for 118.7 (1F port) into the fourth port on EA dish (LNB in). Check switch it (menu,6,1,1) and you're good

Soon enough the programming he has will only be on 118.7, which is why he needs it (needs 118.7 along with EA setup)

I've been trying to find a work around to have only the 118.7 tag added to his account so that he can self install it, keep his programming (which is grandfathered), and not get calls from us about needing a tech to come out to install it for him

So I can do so and add it and not call Dish up and tell them...
I'll have to think and see what to do, knowing the equipment I chose, the superdish will work.

Last edited:
Just checked the dish I was gonna buy and its already sold, and I'm searching for a cheap 118.7 compatible dish with all the things I need. Any help is appreciated.