Self-installation

ledo1611

Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
I'm purchasing superdish & a receiver from eBay, and I plan to do the installation myself. but actually I donno much about the process. I would like to hear from you guys if you know a simple guide for 1st-time installers. I need to know how to run the wiring from outside to where I'll place the receiver in th eliving room, I wanna do the wiring through the walls instead of having the wires go through the deck door, windows....etc. but I have no idea how the wiring in my new house goes, this is my biggest concern; wiring. because I believe I can mount the dish with no problem. I also wanna know how can I do the mutli-TV installation, I'll install the main receiver in the living room and make the basement wired (I'm getting one of those recivers with the 2 remotes).

I appreciate your input guys.
Thanks

why would you do it yourself when you could get a free system and install through anyone

fishman said:
why would you do it yourself when you could get a free system and install through anyone

Agreed. You get a free dish and plenty of choice of free receivers with no commitment. It doesn't make ANY sense at all to buy everything off eBay if you are a new customer.

Don't buy it

First off it is a free install, second there are codes to follow, third it sounds like you are getting either a 322 or 522, which needs 2 cables just for the tuners unless you purchase a dp 44plus sw which you could than get by with one feed but still need a backfed cable, or go back through diplexors which have to be rated. Trust me just go with the DHA and have them install it. Just keep it mind it needs to be grounded, etc.

Thanks for the reply guys. looks like it's much easier & better to let the pros do it. now my question is, if I get teh deal from Dishnetwork & let them install the syatem for me, then after a while I decide to switch to cable or DirecTV, let's say after a week or so, would they charge me a termination fee & let me pay for the equipment? anybody has experience with the Dishnetwork service in this regard? I heared that u return the receiver but keep the dish itself, is that true?

As I said previously, there is NO commitment. If you sign-up through a retailer, there will probably be a one-year term.

Make sure you ask about the retailer commitment first. If you cannot find a retailer that has no commitment then go directly through Dish Network. You may have to wait a while if you go directly through Dish.

Retailers (like me) are starting to wise up.

The no-commitment deal from Dish is designed to screw the retailer because disconnects chargeback - so when the customer is not locked in, the retailer loses real dollars.

SimpleSimon said:
Retailers (like me) are starting to wise up.

The no-commitment deal from Dish is designed to screw the retailer because disconnects chargeback - so when the customer is not locked in, the retailer loses real dollars.

what do u mean by "disconnects chargeback" ??

Dish as NO CONTRACTS for all new customers now.

The retailers will try to get you to sign a 1 year so they can not ever be charged back if you cancel after 3 months.

Sometimes they will have you sign a 1 year free one year warranty card, DONT thats the one year contract.

Read the fine print before you sign anything.

I think that I would have rather bought my own equipment and installed it myself. After installing D* at 3 residences and Dway on my own, I really didn't want someone mucking around my attic and HT setup. But, I bit the bullet and let them do it. Sort of.... I ran all the cabling both inside and out, and essentially all I let the installer do is mount and ground the dish then connect to my cables. I hooked up all the receivers inside while he mounted the dish.

snathanb said:
I think that I would have rather bought my own equipment and installed it myself. After installing D* at 3 residences and Dway on my own, I really didn't want someone mucking around my attic and HT setup. But, I bit the bullet and let them do it. Sort of.... I ran all the cabling both inside and out, and essentially all I let the installer do is mount and ground the dish then connect to my cables. I hooked up all the receivers inside while he mounted the dish.

would you please let me know what's the best way to do the wiring if I plan to do it myself? I wanna install the dish for 2 TVs using a receiver which has the 2 remotes, if this means a lot of trouble I'll just do the single TV thing.

I don't think the cabling is the big issue. Pointing the freakin' superdish is what made me think twice. You have to have two cables from the dish to the receiver since it's a dual receiver.

I have done 5 installs myself, yet they want to send someone out to do it for me only to have me later do it MY way later.

When I did my Direct TV install, I was able to do a self install and get a $100 rebate later after the retailer got paid for the install (they did not do).

We have so many customers in my area that want to install everything themselves, because they have installed a single D* dish.

When you get into SuperDish, and dual tuner recievers, backfeeding, diplexing.... all that good stuff, it can get quite a but more difficult.

If you take this on, good luck to ya, many of my installers that have worked with me for many years have problems getting a SuperDish lined up every once in a while.

And I know personally, at my company, it ends up costing the customer so much more to have us come back out and line it up later.

ledo1611 said:
what do u mean by "disconnects chargeback" ??
If a customer disconnects their service in less than (usually) one year, E* reaches into the retailer's pocket and takes back money - anywhere from "some" to "ALL" of it.

THAT'S why retailers want a contract - so that if E* bends them over, they can come back to the deadbeat customer to try and at least break-even on the job.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)