Selling Dish Receiver DP301 & Smart Card on Ebay

pdxbuysell

Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
Portland, OR
I am thinking of selling my Dish Receiver DP301 & Smart Card on Ebay. I know I own it. I have been off of Dish for a couple of years now. My account has no balance on it.

I had a couple of questions
1. Do I need to call Dish and ask them to stop associating my info with that card? If someone buys this, will I be liable for any charges that they rack up?
2. Can I give out my Smart Card number to potential buyers?
3. Is there a problem with calling Dish with such type of questions about selling equipment?

Thanks

If the receiver is deactivated from your account then you will be fine. The account that it is activated on is the one responsible for any bills associated with that receiver. The only exception to this is any PPV's that were ordered while you had the service if they still show on the purchase info screen and not transmitted to dish through the phoneline.

It is fine to give out the receiver and smart card info as they need that to verify that there is no balance owed on the receiver. Nobody can run up a bill on your account by using that receiver once they buy it from you and they also cannot run up a bill on your account by having your smart card and receiver number.

I've been thinking of selling my old SD receivers as well. I saw one ebay seller claim that giving out these numbers was an invitation to hackery, and he only promised to provide the nuimbers to the winning bidder before they paid. Any truth to that fear?

BS.
We had a lot of threads/posts about selling Dish receivers on eBay and methods of preventing cheating of buyers.

You must have the numbers BEFORE bidding !

Why bother selling it with a yellow card since they are/ will be obsolete shortly.

Will dish even allow you to activate someone else's old smartcard, especially yellow or blue cards, or do they make you pay $50 to buy a new purple card before they let you activate?

Anybody know?

You only need the R00... number to check for a balance and that is all the seller should give out. Otherwise some unscrupulous potential buyer could activate the receiver on his own account without paying for it.

Where is the logic and common sense ?!

You only need the R00... number to check for a balance and that is all the seller should give out. Otherwise some unscrupulous potential buyer could activate the receiver on his own account without paying for it.
Another urban legend ! If you activating anything on your account - you'll PAY !

Some sellers reported people doing just that. Not sure why either. Maybe as blackmail to get the receiver cheaper. I don't know.

I think this is called "cloning." You do not want this to happen to a receiver you own, because the nepharious hacker will run up a big balance and you will never ever be able to sell your own receiver again.

I think this is called "cloning." You do not want this to happen to a receiver you own, because the nepharious hacker will run up a big balance and you will never ever be able to sell your own receiver again.
I think you're fantasize too much or too paranoid. :p

Clone of disabled IRD at eBay - what is that ? Technically cloning impossible also.
Speculations continue ...

As a dealer even I refuse to give out R00 and S00 numbers to customers prior to sale.

With all this privacy of information crap that Dish has been doing lately, they will not realease any information to you on a receiver on ebay unless your the dealer of record or the customer the receiver is assigned to.

Then when your potential buyer does call Dish, the dam CSR's try to talk to them into an upgrade and scare your potential buyer away.

Its at the point right now I don't even deal in used equipment anymore, we simply send the used equipment back to Dish under an RA and get referbished equipment that is free and clear and not tied back to any previous accounts.

Any potential buyers has rights to check the STB and any seller should inform him about R/S posting the info or by his request.
If a seller refusing do that the buyer should avoid the seller.

Its at the point right now I don't even deal in used equipment anymore, we simply send the used equipment back to Dish under an RA and get referbished equipment that is free and clear and not tied back to any previous accounts.
Can you elaborate on that a tad? Are you just sending to Dish all used equipment without any compensation whatsoever? Or do you get a refurbished model in return for that used equipment? What if there is a problem with the used equipment, such as high balance, etc?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)