Selling HDTivo and getting another basic receiver ???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Shleprock

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Hello all,
Here is my dilemma. I had a DTV HD Tivo installed in August. Everything was cool until a couple of months ago. Then I started getting freeze ups, almost exclusively on local channels. I called Direct TV a couple of weeks ago and had a brand new replacement sent. My question is this, can I sell the new unit and replace it with a basic direct tivo? I rarely watch the HD content and it has become unimportant as a feature to me. I am not watching that much of anything at the moment.
I would like to sell the HD Tivo (ebay or wherever) and get a standard replacement, but how will this effect my programming commitment, etc. Also, will whoever buys it be able to activate it with no problems, etc.? I can't seem to find a definitive answer. I will continue the service, with two receivers, I would just like to buy an inexpensive receiver and sell the HD unit to offset some of the programming costs for the rest of my commitment to them.
Hope this all makes sense, and TIA for any help anyone might offer.

Wm

Thanks,
Not kidding. I bought the equipment outright. Paid $1000 for the HD unit and paid for the 40 hour unit (I think about $100). In other words, no free equipment deal. So, will they let me deactivate the HD unit and replace with an 80 hour standard unit?
I was hoping to get a fair price for the HD, buy one of the 80 hour units at $99 or so and have enough to offset some of my 7 month commitment that's left.
Doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Wm

They will let you deactivate the HD receiver but I think if you activate another NEW receiver it will start your 1 year commitment over again. If you are not watching much HD ( not sure why not) then just drop the HD package and continue on.
Do you have the latest software version for your new replacement? If not do a force update call in to get it.
Reaim your antenna for better reception? That could be your problem with your locals.
They will activate the receiver to someone else if you sell it. They will just have to get D* to send them a new access card.

Thanks a lot for the info. Again, I would like to sell the HD Tivo for $650 or so and use the money to buy the standard receiver and offset programming cost.
I can then also drop the monthly HD fee, further lowering my costs.
Also, the locals freezing were not from the off-air antenna, but the local feed over the satellite. Off air HD from my chimney antenna was fine.
The software I am running is the E version. But again, they sent me a new receiver and it appears to be OK.

Thanks
Wm

you own the stb, you can do what ever you want with it, but i am pretty sure that if you add a new stb your 1 year commitment will start over.

If you just want to swap the box and tell Directv that you no longer have the HDTivo, they will allow you to switch STB "WITHOUT" starting a new 1 year commitment. I know this for a FACT I have traded out 2 STB and activated to new HD STB in ther place and I do not have a new 1 year commitment. Better yet Im not in a commitment at all. So, you can sell your HDTivo and yes someone else can get it activated without problems and yes you a can activate an non-hd unit in its place without a new commitment. Remember though, you must let them know that its replacing the HDTivo because you sold it!!!

Thanks for all the great heads up!! I think I will go ahead and order the 80 hour standard Tivo stb. Ncc1701 if you want to email me off list I will be glad to follow up with you as the HD unit will be for sale.
Again, thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to be more informed before dealing with Direct TV. Officially for sale now.

Thanks,
Wm

Thanks again everyone. Unit is sold pending receipt of the money. Didn't mean to use the forum as a sales tool - but someone wanted it. Thanks.

Wm

Are you saying that you got your HD Tivo replaced with another one form D*? If so you need to send the old one back to them or they will charge you for it. If you mean your selling the one they replaced for you then your ok.

My brother wants to sell His HD Tivo and my two SD Tivos in April when His contract ends. He was asking me about whats fair for Ebay pricing.

How does that work anyway?

1. Do you include the access card with you sell it on Ebay , or does Direct TV not like that as they want the buying to get a new card when they activate?

2. Will the buying be forced into an other 1 year contract with Direct TV?

3. Is $500 a fair price for a 1 year old HD Tivo that has worked perfectly

4. What is the fair market price of 1 year old SD Tivos?

ScottChez said:
1. Do you include the access card with you sell it on Ebay , or does Direct TV not like that as they want the buying to get a new card when they activate?

2. Will the buying be forced into an other 1 year contract with Direct TV?

3. Is $500 a fair price for a 1 year old HD Tivo that has worked perfectly

4. What is the fair market price of 1 year old SD Tivos?

1. You can include if you want, DirecTV will most likely make the purchaser buy a card from them.

2. Buyer will be signing up for 12 month commitment just like anyone else that activates a new receiver.

3. I think so.

4. Since lots of people can get them for free or $49, I would say that $49 is fair.

I sent the defective unit back to DTV. I am selling the new replacement. I am working with one receiver.
Most of the HD Tivo's I have seen on ebay went for more than $500 used, but who knows at any given moment what one will sell for.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)