Selling my old DirecTV receiver with card - Any risk?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tsquare75

Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I want to sell my old DirecTV receiver with access card on eBay. My account with DirecTV was closed. Is there any risk involved with regards to the access card? Is it ok for me to sell the receiver and access card?

thanks in advance!

Your old card will be of no use to anyone else. Sell the receiver without the card and cut it up like you would an old credit card.

I just bought a receiver from someone on ebay with their old card. As long as you call to activate the box under your account you should be fine. There may be cases where the card doesn't work. I wouldn't see too much of a problem.

My girlfriend and her sister just got DirecTv moved to the new home and they wanted a receiver from a different account to be activated on theirs. They said a new card had to be mailed out. They activated it to the wrong receiver. They said that they could not put the card that was in the receiver that they married it to wrong and put it in the other one it was supposed to be in. Have to have another card mailed to us. At least they waived the $20 fee in both cases. THIS IS REDIUCLOUS!!!!! I never have any such issues with Dish Network. Just activate receiver and be done with it. Perhaps when DirecTv gets their receivers with built in cards this will no longer be an issue unless they insist on changing the card versions of the current card so much.

I just sold 3 on ebay. It all depends on your account and the type of receiver and how old it is.

Most of the time they get to use the old card. Sometimes they have to spend $20 if they have to ship out a new card.

As long as the cards are deactivated and you have confirmed on there web site that they are in fact deactivated you have nothing to loose.

Watch out , sometimes they say they deactivaed it when they did not, then the new person either runs your bill up or it also casued the new person to pay the $20 for a new card as the card is then red flaged.

Botton line, you have nothing to worry about, and the new person sometimes has to pay $20. Tell them to just plan on paying the $20 anyway, then its like an added BONUS if they dont.

DTV-T2-Tech said:
Old card will not work, on used equipment you will have buy a new ac, $20

This must be something that has just started recently.I have personally activated several used receivers with "old" access cards on an entirely different account.I would say no less than 10 or 12 times.Also I don't see what the problem is outside of DTV wanting to get in the customers pocket a little deeper.The card is sent a new authorization with all the new account info.If the card had already been deactivated there is no chance of it being billed to a previous customer upon reactivation on a new account.

I have also used "old"receivers with "old"cards that did not belong to it(not married)and had no problem having them activated either.

tom,

would you care to post your sbca # here or your directv acc# im sure they would love to speak to you.

after the p4 came out even i (sbca certified tech , and active) CANNOT get a shut down card activated......it AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

read the back of the access card ,,,it is not yours,directv owns the card , or in the earlier cards, the rights to the card...

DirecTv has in fact told me that once it gets deactivated and was on a different account that you must have a new card shipped and must pay the $20. They wouldn't even waive the $20 fee three years ago when the customer threatened to switch to Dish Network. That customer is still a Dish Network customer to this day.

Don't sell the acces card, just make sure you call and disconnect the rec from your account before selling it and tell your customer to get a new ac from dtv for $20.

Tom Cahill said:
This must be something that has just started recently.I have personally activated several used receivers with "old" access cards on an entirely different account.I would say no less than 10 or 12 times.Also I don't see what the problem is outside of DTV wanting to get in the customers pocket a little deeper.The card is sent a new authorization with all the new account info.If the card had already been deactivated there is no chance of it being billed to a previous customer upon reactivation on a new account.

I have also used "old"receivers with "old"cards that did not belong to it(not married)and had no problem having them activated either.
No way, no how. Once activated, it is no longer a "virgin" card, therefore, cannot be activated again. :no

Incaico said:
No way, no how. Once activated, it is no longer a "virgin" card, therefore, cannot be activated again. :no

Yes Way, I just got a new HD Tivo last week and activated the card from my old HD reciever in it. Told the CSR that I was replacing the HTL-HD with the HR10-250 and she activated it. Now I am selling the HTL-HD on EBay with the virgin card that came with the HD Tivo. :D :D

I bought one from a neighbor, who was moving into a condo, and added it as a second receiver. I set it up, called D*, and they just sent me a new card for it.

mikeacollins said:
Yes Way, I just got a new HD Tivo last week and activated the card from my old HD reciever in it. Told the CSR that I was replacing the HTL-HD with the HR10-250 and she activated it. Now I am selling the HTL-HD on EBay with the virgin card that came with the HD Tivo. :D :D
Being that it was originally your card, they may activate. If it was previously activated by someone else, like I said, No Way! :no

lou_do said:
I bought one from a neighbor, who was moving into a condo, and added it as a second receiver. I set it up, called D*, and they just sent me a new card for it.
Receivers, yes. Previously activated cards, no. :no

people here who say that D* won't ever activate a non-virgin access card are full of it. i bought a used receiver w/ a card off ebay, they activated it no problem, no fee.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)