Selling receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jb1945

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Sacramento, California
I discontinued Directv about 18 months ago. I still have the Hughes receiver and access cards (original & replacement). I own the equipment which is gathering dust in the garage so I thought I would try to sell it. The access cards both have statements indicating that they are the property of someone else and must be returned upon request. There has been no such request. Can these be legally sold?

jb1945 said:
I discontinued Directv about 18 months ago. I still have the Hughes receiver and access cards (original & replacement). I own the equipment which is gathering dust in the garage so I thought I would try to sell it. The access cards both have statements indicating that they are the property of someone else and must be returned upon request. There has been no such request. Can these be legally sold?

If you are referring to the receiver and the access card as a package...
Then Yes , they can be sold.
the card cannot be sold seperatly ...

That said :
D* normally will not re-activate an older receiver like this and they definatly will not authorize the existing access card.

It is possible, that D* will re-authorize it for someone that already has D* service, but that is at D*'s disgression and they will have to purchase another access card as well (from D*)

D* generally would like subs to go with the newer receivers as the technology is advancing quickly.

Jimbo

Following up on the original question on this thread, I have a TS360 that I no longer need (after using it for less than two years). I see them eBay, but I was told by the install tech that I can not sell the unit. He added that since I was the original subscriber on the unit, D* will only let me re-activate it Is that true?

If I sell just the receiver (and not the card as suggested above), how would the buyer acquire a new card? Has anyone bought a used receiver online? Just curious about the process of re-activation because I want to make sure that the buyer of the unit should be successful.

Thanks in advance for any information.

The receiver will work OTA with a deactivated card in it, any old DTV card. Direc WILL activate it for someone else as long as they get a new card from DirecTV.

"I see them eBay, but I was told by the install tech that I can not sell the unit. He added that since I was the original subscriber on the unit, D* will only let me re-activate it Is that true?"

He's talking out of his rear end!

To bad that the newer receivers don't have the great features that some of the older ones do. The newer ones are very watered down, as far as features.

Guess they do that to cut expenses.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)