Semi-old-timer upgrading system-how does this setup sound?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ChrisW6ATV

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Hayward, Cal. USA
Hi-

I started with a 10-foot C-band dish system built from surplus components in 1995, and I upgraded it over the years (C/Ku, 4DTV, and a separate FTA receiver/dish/motor that I never got working right at first). Now I have a new FTA receiver, and I am thinking of upgrading and combining the system. What do you all think of this plan:

-Replace Chapparal Corotor with dual-output C-only LNBF on the 10-foot dish (abandon Ku on it)
-Connect one output to the FTA receiver (through a DiSEqC switch), the other to the 4DTV receiver (set to C-band LNBF)
-Use a Vbox with the FTA receiver to control the 10-foot dish
-The 4DTV receiver will be used for 105 only, or any time I want to look for NTSC feeds
-The FTA receiver will also be connected to my 76cm dish/SG2100 motor

Thanks for any comments or advice.

Yes that sounds good and will work. One thing you may want to look at is map master and use your 4dtv as the dish mover and skip the vbox.

wallyhts-

Thank you for the quick reply. I have looked a bit at the Map Master program/device and it does look interesting, especially the possibility of "naming" all of the satellites by their positions. It would be nice to have a readout on the front panel that displayed "97" or "21" (for 121). Since I recently replaced my DSR-922's battery and some of its capacitors, I should get some good life out of it still.

What is the 10' dish?
Show us a picture.

I can't comment on the MapMaster matter.

All else sounds workable. :up

Here are some things to consider: (but no deal-breakers)
- 90cm dish instead of 76cm
- PLL Ku LNBF. maybe a Standard, from SatelliteAV
- 22khz Ecoda switch instead of diseqc?
See the Switches Simplified FAQ, if you think it might help.

a lnbf will not be as good as your Chaparral if it has a really good lnb on it.(norsat/cal amp)
what do you have ?

what FTA receiver do you have ?
if you don't have a HD one the Pansat 9500 will work with your Chaparral & servo.

if you don't have a 90- 1.2 meter dish for ku spend your $$ there.

SG2100 motors are junk buy a Stab 100. mine are 5-7+ years old now.
good luck

Thank you for the detailed notes, Anola and madmadworld. The dish is the one in my avatar, but I posted a bigger picture below. My C-band LNB is indeed a Cal Amp, 25 degrees, bought in the late 1990s. The Ku on the 10' dish is an unknown one, maybe from SatMart around 1997-2000, 0.8 or 0.7 dB maybe.

I do plan to replace the Ku dish with a 90-120cm one. Its LNBF is an unknown model, it came in the package deal with the dish and Satwork ST3688 receiver in 2004-2005. I actually bought those direct from an Ebay seller from Roseville or Carmichael here in California and met him there while I was working nearby, so it could have been Brian from SatelliteAV even, if he was in the business already then.

The receiver is an X2 Premium (it was cheap to get me re-started in this hobby), so I cannot control the Polarotor if I kept it except from the 4DTV DSR-922 receiver, and that is a pain to do.

I figured to use a DiSEqC switch (1) because I already have a four-port one (Spacelab DS-41), and (2) because I have two other Ku dishes that I may want to add at some point, so I would need more than two switch inputs. Anole, your switch diagrams were very helpful. Would a 22 kHz switch be more reliable? The other dishes are a fiberglass 90cm (with no LNBF yet) and a Primestar oval with its original LNBF. Both of those seem to be too heavy to put onto the SG2100 motor, but maybe a Stab HH100 or HH120 could handle one?
Satellite dish small.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't there also that issue which causes the 4DTV polarity to read different than the FTA on a dual output C-band LNBF? I think they did, at least when I ran a DSR-410 for HITS. I seem to remember when I slaved 4D over to FTA I had some issue with the HITS and 4D being opposite of the FTA...but its been a few years! I ended up using two dishes. I hope I'm remembering incorrectly, but if it saves scratching the head.....

With a 4D all you have to do is go into Options and set the polarity to "rotated 90'" and all will be right with an lnbf.The 410 doesn't have that option because it was meant for a 1 sat 1 dish only,kind of setup,I believe.

Food for thought

Your original plan wasn't bad.
Just had some room for improvement, depending in what area you wanted to focus on.

re Ecoda 22khz: I thought you might try powering your 2100 through your switch.
Many diseqc switches won't handle the current.
I never recommend using a switch ahead of a motor, but some users insist on that configuration.
The Ecoda 22khz was shown to handle the load, along with a few diseqc switches.
About all I have to say on the matter.

re Ku dish size: if you are happy with a 76cm on a 2100, that's fine.
But somewhere down the line, you'll find some stations need their own fixed dish...often a bigger one.
Instead of making a decision in the dark, why not put this aside and come back to it later?
There are just too many variables and choices; leave room to change your mind.

re molded dishes: my favorite kind. :)
the 90cm would be an improvement, but the weight would call for a more robust motor.
I'd outfit it with a Standard PLL LNBF.
The oval Primestar would be best if you kept the matching feedhorn.
But unless it was the larger 84e, you'd be better off with the 90cm molded.
And it would need a robust motor, too.

When/if you are ready to spend money on a big Ku dish and motorize it, a safe choice would be the GeoSatPro 1.2m and PLL LNBF from SatellliteAV.
I'd stick that on a STAB 120, and be done. :)
There are a 100 other ways to skin that cat.

Hi all-

I bought and installed an ESX242 dual-output C-band LNBF and an Ecoda 22 kHz switch, and everything is working well. The DSR-922 is happy on Digicipher and NTSC signals, and the X2 Premium is running the Ku dish/motor fine through the Ecoda switch as well as C-band through the other side of the switch (signals are strong there compared to my mediocre 76cm Ku dish). At some point, I will upgrade the Ku setup, and maybe install those two other dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.