Senate Fails To Pass Satellite Extension Extension

Essentially all that needs to happen is the bill be brought to the floor of the Senate and voted on. I doubt there would be an attempt at filabuster since 99 other senators did not object. The problem is that the agenda of the Senate is all booked up or something like that and they do not "have the time" to debate the bill. Looks like now they will have to find the time.

Looks like they may have found the time.

Senate OKs jobless aid after Sen. Bunning relents - Yahoo! News

Was this the bill the distants were attached to??

Extended until 3/28/2010, then what?

So now I guess they need to go back and submit a bill to extend this for a # of years length of time.
I wonder when they will start working on that bill.
Hopefully this new bill won't have any hiccups.

The 622 has a port on the back that you can hook an OTA antenna into and scan in your locals that the antenna picks up. Then you can record off that cause they will appear on your guide.

I have my 622 hooked up to the antenna. The problem is that without distant nets (that point is now moot), I would not be able to record two shows at once like I can now. The second problem is that the shows do not appear in my guide. They say "Digital Service" for all of the antenna channels. I have to do manual timers for all of my antenna channels.

Distant Networks Situation is Very Confusing

It may not mean a whole lot to some folks, but the ability to receive "distant networks" does affect a lot of people. I live in Arkansas, about 60 miles from Memphis and about 120 miles from Little Rock. A few years ago, when Dish stopped providing distant networks, it was only through All-American Direct that I'm able to watch any of the network shows. I'm able to get an ABC and a PBS station OTA, but because I'm "out of the DMA Area" for both Memphis and Little Rock, Dish can't provide any network stations for me. And if legislation removes the right for All-American Direct to give me NBC or CBS, there goes Law & Order, CSI, Good Wife, etc. Perhaps it doesn't mean anything to some, but for others it does. If the rules are changed, at least change them to make sense---not just to punish consumers by removing their ability to receive all the networks because of their geographical location!

It may not mean a whole lot to some folks, but the ability to receive "distant networks" does affect a lot of people. I live in Arkansas, about 60 miles from Memphis and about 120 miles from Little Rock. A few years ago, when Dish stopped providing distant networks, it was only through All-American Direct that I'm able to watch any of the network shows. I'm able to get an ABC and a PBS station OTA, but because I'm "out of the DMA Area" for both Memphis and Little Rock, Dish can't provide any network stations for me. And if legislation removes the right for All-American Direct to give me NBC or CBS, there goes Law & Order, CSI, Good Wife, etc. Perhaps it doesn't mean anything to some, but for others it does. If the rules are changed, at least change them to make sense---not just to punish consumers by removing their ability to receive all the networks because of their geographical location!

The DMA system and the rules governing said system do not take into acount those that live in remote( relative to transmission tower location) areas.
The way I see it is this, adverstisers and braodcasters do not consider rural America because of a perception those people do not patronize sponsors enough to make a difference.
HOwever, instead of ignoring those in the remote places, the broadcasters sy to the rural people, "if you can;t get our tv ,you won't get it from anyone."
I think if a person cannot receive tv signals from the DMA boradcasters the viewer is not part of that DMA and as such can do what he must to receive signals from elsewhere.
This DMA system needs to be blown up and redone.

Part of the "deal" Dish is trying to get through, is that they would provide all 210 markets. Any market that did not have one or more of the big 4 they would be able to provide one from a nearby market.

Its very sad that cable companies, including Verizon FiosTV can transmit channels from all over the country and are able to legally pipe them into any home! I just recently had FiosTV installed and I'm getting local channels from all over the country!

Its very sad that cable companies, including Verizon FiosTV can transmit channels from all over the country and are able to legally pipe them into any home! I just recently had FiosTV installed and I'm getting local channels from all over the country!

And just what channels might they be? I'll bet they are super stations and they are available over multiple providers.

gwhitelover said:
gwhitelover said:
...they are PBS, CW, ABC, and a few spanish channels from LA.
A quick perusal of the Fios TV channel listing for northernmost New Castle County shows many local PBS stations. However, I do not see multiple CW or ABC stations.

A fast review of the middle of Delaware, Kent County Fios system reveals some additional channels coming from Baltimore and Salisbury. And if either provider was able to come to terms (or in Dish Network's case, be allowed to use the copyright license) regarding significantly-viewed stations, then they'd be on satellite and available to you as well.

It sounds like Verizon screwed something up (but don't complain). From my understanding Cable (and DBS too) can only provide significantly viewed locals from a nearby DMA...just as long is meets the FCC guidelines and the parties reach some sort of an agreement. The following post touches on the subject...and it's three years old.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ed-waiting-my-quest-significantly-viewed.html

Here is the FCC list of SV: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/significantviewedstations022509.pdf

Last edited:
Nope, they are PBS, CW, ABC, and a few spanish channels from LA.

I wonder if one of those Spanish channels from LA that you are seeing is LATV? That is a subchannel on a number of broadcast DTV stations across the country, which originates from KJLA Ventura (Los Angeles). Probably no special agreement there if it is already retransmitted in your area as a local digital subchannel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)