Senate Fails To Pass Satellite Extension Extension

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I live in a DMA (Panama City Fl) that considers my CBS a distant network. I have all the other major networks (NBC, FOX, ABC). When I lost my CBS (Dothan Al) in 2006 , they put me in touch with All American Direct and I have been buying my CBS from them since 2006.

Do you think I will be affected by the failure to pass this law. Am I at risk of losing my CBS.

Just looking for some clarity, thanks in advance. I might add I cannot receive a Dothan Al signal OTA.

My interpretation is all distant net signals are illegal after today.
However you must note the comentary amongst COngressional members that indicates they would like a "stay" in the cutoff to see if they can get the Distant Nets issue seperated foprm the unemployment issue.

A word about the inner workings of DC.
On many occasions, Members of Congress will attach unrelated legislation that normally would not pass on it's own to far more popular bills. For example, a few years ago Congress passed a ports bill, which then Senator Ted Stevens(R-AK) attached a ban on internet gaming. The ports Bill was a very important piece of legislation. Stevens , a far right wing crusader under pressure from Church groups had been pressuring Congress to outlaw internet gaming for years. The ports bill was his opportunity to placate his constiuency.
In other instances members of congess will attach what are known as "poison pills" to Bills they do not want passed.
I think these practices should be outlawed because while they are politically expedient, are illogical on their face.
I digress. Sorry Scott . Had to give this explanation to kind of wipe the fog off the mirror, if you will.

My interpretation is all distant net signals are illegal after today.
However you must note the comentary amongst COngressional members that indicates they would like a "stay" in the cutoff to see if they can get the Distant Nets issue seperated foprm the unemployment issue.

A word about the inner workings of DC.
On many occasions, Members of Congress will attach unrelated legislation that normally would not pass on it's own to far more popular bills. For example, a few years ago Congress passed a ports bill, which then Senator Ted Stevens(R-AK) attached a ban on internet gaming. The ports Bill was a very important piece of legislation. Stevens , a far right wing crusader under pressure from Church groups had been pressuring Congress to outlaw internet gaming for years. The ports bill was his opportunity to placate his constiuency.
In other instances members of congess will attach what are known as "poison pills" to Bills they do not want passed.
I think these practices should be outlawed because while they are politically expedient, are illogical on their face.
I digress. Sorry Scott . Had to give this explanation to kind of wipe the fog off the mirror, if you will.

Thanks guys. Hopefully as mentioned Congress will act and pass this bill.

I appreciate the responses, it's up to the gang in Congress.

Thank you

I have my supers as well. Do others have distants and/or supers?

There was a letter sent from some of the congresscritters asking to leave the status quo, and that congress would cover them with a hold-harmless in the law once it gets passed.

There's an MCN article about it somewhere.

We since no law was passed or signed extending it obviously something was worked out somewhere, unless both companies are illegally distrbuting distant networks.

I don't think there is such a thing as a get out of hotwater free card from the senate.

We since no law was passed or signed extending it obviously something was worked out somewhere, unless both companies are illegally distrbuting distant networks.

I don't think there is such a thing as a get out of hotwater free card from the senate.

Reread LER's post. I think he is correct in terms of what they might be betting on. There is no get of hot water free card free card from the NAB but there might be something similar from the congress----and IMHO that is what they are banking on.

I thought the legislation also is what allowed them to offer LIL without paying for those who wanted Must Carry status. I know that most majors stations do not insist on Must Carry and instead have agreements with DISH and DirecTv.

I've been with Dish for 11 years. I'm only able to pick up 2 locals OTA (1 before the digital switch.)

When Dish lost the ability to carry distants a few years ago, I immediately "moved" to beat the deadline and haven't moved back. I now get ABC, CBS, NBC, ABC, CW, FOX and PBS.

The irony is that by moving, I now get the exact same channels that my neighbors down the street with Time Warner Cable get being they have access to the significantly viewed channels to fill in the gaps in our DMA.

Passing an extension to the current bill does nothing. The double standard needs to go and satellite should fall under the same rules as cable.

The satellite bill was attached to a Unemployment benefits extension bill . Due to political grandstanding by one senator Bunsen from Kentucky , he kept the bill from passing last Friday. But this bill should be passed by this week or by next week. The majority of the senate wants to get the unemployment benefits to the people who need them, so look for the satellite bill to eventually get passed with it. I think that is why the distants are still on for now.

The satellite bill was attached to a Unemployment benefits extension bill . Due to political grandstanding by one senator Bunsen from Kentucky , he kept the bill from passing last Friday. But this bill should be passed by this week or by next week. The majority of the senate wants to get the unemployment benefits to the people who need them, so look for the satellite bill to eventually get passed with it. I think that is why the distants are still on for now.

According to ABC news tonight Senator Jim Bunning blocked the bill because he wanted the $10 billion price tag to be paid for by TARP/stimulus money, but Senator Reid refused.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)