Senator Rockefeller unveils Over the Top video reform bill

A few thoughts:

1. I agree this would help boost the market for online video distributors
2. Online distribution bodes well for a la carte
3. Online video providers will start paying their fair share in the form of cable franchise fees, taxes, etc.
4. Streaming video will be taxed...and taxing Internet usage is not far behind

My question is,what's wrong with it the way it is now?Prices are competitive,plenty of providers to choose from,also plenty of content.Sounds to me like the government wanting get control over it and get more revenue.

My question is,what's wrong with it the way it is now?Prices are competitive,plenty of providers to choose from,also plenty of content.Sounds to me like the government wanting get control over it and get more revenue.

Teehar you hit the nail on the head they want more revenue so they can spend more and they are going to tax anything they can to do that!! ;) :)

Can anyone legally stream TNT live right now? TCM? How about USA Network? ABC?
If you want a streaming cable-like service right now, you can't have one. You have to hunt and look and sometimes use shady services essentially stealing signals. This would give everyone equal access to programming. It is not about controlling the internet. It is about creating a level playing field where services are forced to deal equally with streaming services.
The other main part of the bill looks to be codifying what is currently being disputed in court. This would prevent Time Warner Cable internet from degrading a streaming service owned by Charter or other competing cable service an vice-versa.
The word "tax" or "revenue" is not in this bill.

Can anyone legally stream TNT live right now? TCM? How about USA Network? ABC?
If you want a streaming cable-like service right now, you can't have one. You have to hunt and look and sometimes use shady services essentially stealing signals. This would give everyone equal access to programming. It is not about controlling the internet. It is about creating a level playing field where services are forced to deal equally with streaming services.
The other main part of the bill looks to be codifying what is currently being disputed in court. This would prevent Time Warner Cable internet from degrading a streaming service owned by Charter or other competing cable service an vice-versa.
The word "tax" or "revenue" is not in this bill.

Depending on how you look at streaming, you can legally stream both TNT and TBS, live feeds from both east and west, as long as you have an account with certain pay TV services. Although I'm thinking what your comment really means is that any one can legally stream regardless of their already having a subscription to a pay tv service? For example I'm a cord cutter I can't stream TNT TBS or any other networks that require a pay TV account to log in.

Ross

Sent via Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)