Send back old receiver after upgrade?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

David

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
My 622 install is this Sunday March 5th. I am replacing my old DISH Player 500 with the 622. I received an empty box last week to send the DISH Player back. I informed the CSR that I own the equipment and she explained that I could get a $25 credit for it if I return it, although I see this nowhere in writing.
What is their motivation for offering money for an obsolete receiver? I am wondering if I should take them up on this offer...

Last edited:
Don't know what their motive is, but it gets the receiver off your account, and puts a $25 credit on your account. I replaced a 311 with a vip211, and sent the 311 back for the credit.

I figure that I could have sold the 311 for $50, maybe, but when you put the cost of shipping in, it wasn't worth the hassle.

I just received a SECOND empty return box from UPS. I was secretly hoping that it weighed 17 lbs and contained another 622. (Then I would be "forced" to buy another HD TV for the other room!)

I think they see value in getting old non-MPEG-4 STBs out of circulation.

They probably refurbish them and then trade those units with ones that get shipped back for people that have the insurance plan

I must be missing something because I can't figure out why on earth people upgrading to a 622 before April 1st are being sent empty boxes. There's no "trade-in" required and it's $299 to lease.

Seems like a big waste of money on Dish's part and it's apparently causing some aggravation to customers.

waltinvt said:
I must be missing something because I can't figure out why on earth people upgrading to a 622 before April 1st are being sent empty boxes. There's no "trade-in" required and it's $299 to lease.

That's what I though, and I asked the CSR to double check when they said I have to send back one of my 522's as part of the $299 deal. In fact, at first she was trying to tell me I had to return BOTH of my 522's to get ONE 622! Got her to see the light on that one anyway.

The thing I can't figure out - I thought when I got my setup (two 522's) a year ago, that I owned the equipment even though I paid nothing up front. I'm trying to find my original paperwork, but so far, no luck.

My monthly bill shows no lease charges - just additional reciever charge and 2 DVR fees, plus the Dish Home Protection Plan charge (5.99) which until a month ago was credited out to $0 each month since I opted for the 1 year commitment back then.

I'd actually like to keep the old 522 as a spare in case my existing 522's HardDrive (or the unit itself) tanks. Then theoretically I could swap out the drive or the entire unit and be up and running with only an actication phone call.

Not a big deal, actually. Since I didn't really pay anything for the 522's I don't mind sending one back.

Sorry for the slight hijack - i just got carried away - but can anyone tell from that info if I lease or own?

Anyway, they DO tell you you have to return one. I'd love to find something in writing that says you don't!

Since I didn't really pay anything for the 522's I don't mind sending one back.

Sorry for the slight hijack - i just got carried away - but can anyone tell from that info if I lease or own?
There's your answer - you're leasing.

Interesting that you got TWO 522s on lease a year ago, though - that was hard to do!

" Interesting that you got TWO 522s on lease a year ago, though - that was hard to do!"

Good catch - yep, I got lucky!
The Short Version: I originally had one 522 and two (I think) 311's. The next day, I decided I wanted DVR in "room 3", so they tried to switch a 311 for a single reciever DVR (don't remember model). The tech couldn't get it to work given the cabling and equipment or something (or he didn't know how), so he just replaced both 311's with another 522. The bonus was ending up with DVR in "room 4" for the same price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)