Sending Client back and getting HR24 to use with HR44

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
I understand id have a unified playlist, but would have to manage timers separately. I figure Id rather have the second DVR (used to have two Hoppers) to run as a backup for recordings, because even in the slow times we tend to run 2-3 weeks behind.

Here is the closet connection, just wondering if anything needs to be done differently to connect the HR24 where the Client was, or it it is plug and play?

Thanks.

photo_zps679df1b8.jpg

Closest connection? Do you have more than 1 SWM splitter? Are you just running an HR44 and HR24?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

"Closet" connection. That is all I have right. Coax from dish drops in this closet and all house wires drop in here. What you see in the pic is the in from the dish, one out to genie and other out to where the client was. Can I just hook the HR24 right up how the client was connected?

"Closet" connection. That is all I have right. Coax from dish drops in this closet and all house wires drop in here. What you see in the pic is the in from the dish, one out to genie and other out to where the client was. Can I just hook the HR24 right up how the client was connected?
Yes,
Provided that the Power Inserter is also on the run.
The PI needs to go on the run that has the red line going to it, the farthest to the left.

I guess I dont understand, with the Genie there is already a PI on the run.

The setup is simple, one out goes to the Genie/PI, the other went straight to the Client.

I guess I dont understand, with the Genie there is already a PI on the run.

The setup is simple, one out goes to the Genie/PI, the other went straight to the Client.
I was just verifying the PI, seeing you didn't mention it.
So the Genie is on the farthest one to the left with the PI, the other one connected is the run to the old Client ?

If so, Yes, just connect the new recvr to that line and boot it up.

Thats exactly right, the Genie and PI are on the far left one with the red line, the client line to the bedroom is the one next to it.

Im gonna order a HR24 tonight and I already have a few 1 and 2 TB HDD's laying around, will get an EHD ready. Will make for a nice backed up system.

The hard drives you have are esata, yes? Those the only ones that will work with Directv dvrs.

Oh yeah, two types of thermaltake cases and 3 drives. I think I have 2 2Tb drives and 1 1TB drive.

Im just gonna put it in the bedroom and let it go. I figure one DVR crashes, got all or most of my other junk on the other.

Refresh my memory please:

Boot-up HR24 and go ahead with 04268 to grab new software, or will it do that anyways?
Or should I activate first?
When hooking up EHD, do you plug in when off then boot, or plug in when HR24 is on?

TIA

Connect them when the HR24 is off, then reboot. I'm not sure if it will d/l the software on it's own, no harm in doing the 02468 yourself.
One of the real installers will answer your question about the authorization. My guess is it should be authorized first.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
I've done hot swaps of external hard drives before with my HR20 and it worked, but it's certainly not recommended.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
Got it installed, booted, activated, rebooted for new software, then shut down and hooked up EHD. Powered back up and all is well. 2TB's of back up space for the Genie :)

Got it installed, booted, activated, rebooted for new software, then shut down and hooked up EHD. Powered back up and all is well. 2TB's of back up space for the Genie :)
Now, don't fill the HD up and wonder what your gonna do without if the HD goes bad eventually ... what I'm saying is don't leave important stuff on the HD, theres no way to get it back if the drive does go bad, I'd hate to be out of 2 tbs worth of shows.

Now, don't fill the HD up and wonder what your gonna do without if the HD goes bad eventually ... what I'm saying is don't leave important stuff on the HD, theres no way to get it back if the drive does go bad, I'd hate to be out of 2 tbs worth of shows.

Ah, but you missed my plan. The HR24 is a mirror and will record everything the HR44 does. One dies, other still has my stuff! :yessign

I do that on some shows with either the 34, 24 or 20 ...

When I was running a HWS and a Hopper 2000, I just had both record the same thing. Nice knowing there was no concern (mostly). Other than this time of year, if we arent at least 4 weeks behind it is a miracle. Thats a lot of tv shows to lose.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)