Sending HDTV Signal Through My House?

andrews777

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 5, 2004
I currently have two 522 units for my Dish programming. I take the RGB output from each unit and send it back out through the house so I can pick up the signal on any TV using a Channel Plus modulator (much better than the built-in option).

Can I do anything like this if I upgrade to a 722 (or possibly 622)? I am very tempted now, though I would hate to lose the ability to send the signal out through the house.

Is this even possible?

Brad

Since he wants HD he probably means he component cables that re Red Green and Blue. that could be done i guess but not sure about modualting it and having it stay HD.

Since he wants HD he probably means he component cables that re Red Green and Blue. that could be done i guess but not sure about modualting it and having it stay HD.

I don't care (within reason) how it gets back to an HDTV signal, I just want to be able to watch the signal on other HDTVs in the house, especially recorded shows.

I have gotten used to not having to worry about which TV I am at.

Brad

Analog SD transmission around the house is a mature technology. HDTV transmission around the house is still in the egg. I am not aware of any reasonably priced ATSC encoders that would allow whole house transmission.

You might somehow rig an HDMI network or something. Chaching!

At the moment, full featured ATSC modulators are not going to be cost effective. However, there are point-to-point systems (using baluns) that will transport component video and digital (coax) audio over conventional CAT-5 network cable at distances of at least 500 ft.

Here are some links:

Intelix Component Video, Digital Audio Balun (Pair) AVO-V3AD-PAC-F
Component Video/Digital Audio Balun - 500050
Niles Audio C5-HDDA Component Video and Digital Audio Balun: Niles Audio Audio Balun > Custom Installation

At the moment, full featured ATSC modulators are not going to be cost effective. However, there are point-to-point systems (using baluns) that will transport component video and digital (coax) audio over conventional CAT-5 network cable at distances of at least 500 ft.

Here are some links:

Intelix Component Video, Digital Audio Balun (Pair) AVO-V3AD-PAC-F
Component Video/Digital Audio Balun - 500050
Niles Audio C5-HDDA Component Video and Digital Audio Balun: Niles Audio Audio Balun > Custom Installation

Those might work.

How do you split a component signal?

It looks like the wire must be dedicated to this task. I am looking at adding some wiring to my house, so I suppose I could run dedicated lines if/when I do that.

Brad

I have my upstairs and downstairs HDTV's split via component out of my 622. I used a cheap little Radio Shack 4-2 switcher splitter for component. Works great. The only artifact I see is an occasional power phase issue. I am sure that if I intently scanned the screen I could see some issues with it, but I am happy enough. If you split component, make sure you get a powered amp and not a cheap passive device. In my case I run out of my 622 component to the powered splitter/switcher, into my 30" upstairs via a 50 ft cable and to my LCD projector via another 50ft cable. The farthest I have tested the signal is a 100ft run to projector and on a 98" screen I was happy enough with the results...

Does anyone know if these devices work when run to a common point, requiring more than a single cable? I am planning on rewiring things to a "wiring closet" where I would then patch different cables to the rest of the house. Most points would hook to a network switch, but the HDMI extension would likely just have one point cabled directly to another. Running an extra CAT5 (or 2) shouldn't be too hard.

Brad

When I built my house a few years ago, I installed structured wiring to all the rooms in the house (two Cat-5e, two rg-6) and 2 pair 14 gauge speaker wire in the ceilings, back patio, and garage. They all come to a closet in a common point where the "gear" is. At the time, I didn't have HD receivers, etc. I bought the audio amp that uses analog audio and composite video (ran through rg-6). The audio amp is the Elan System 6 with 6 source/6 room capability. The video is run through the Z-880 composite video matrix (8 sources/8 rooms). Last year I upgraded to a couple 622s. I bought two more Z-880s and used each switcher for each of the R-G-B signals. I used baluns to pass the component video through the existing Cat-5. I don't have digital audio sent throughout yet. I don't have the amps at the other side to justify it. The ceiling speakers are sufficient enough at this point. I have the digital audio switched with a cheap 3-1 component video/coax digital audio switch I picked up for $70. I only use it for the audio portion to feed the standalone amp in my HT family room.

Any suggestions on what to look for locally to find a cheaper source of wire? Shipping really hits hard on the spools.

Brad

Can I do anything like this if I upgrade to a 722 (or possibly 622)? I am very tempted now, though I would hate to lose the ability to send the signal out through the house.
You can't reasonably send an HD signal around, but the ViP622/722 has a pretty decent modulator built in that will send SD renditions of SD and HD channels through your existing system.

Do you have HD TVs at all locations, or just one?

You can't reasonably send an HD signal around, but the ViP622/722 has a pretty decent modulator built in that will send SD renditions of SD and HD channels through your existing system.

Do you have HD TVs at all locations, or just one?

I don't have any HDTVs yet, though I am on the verge of buying one. I am thinking toward the future. Though I think the smaller TV I have on my desk is HD-ready, which probably means it could take the signal too. I don't know if I would want to pay for a DVR just for it though. I have gotten used to having 2 522s to play with though, so going back to a single unit could seem like a step back.

I am not sure if I could get 2 622/722 units though. I recall reading something indicating they were allowing 4 tuners through the promo, but I am not certain.

I am just trying to figure out my options before I start the dominoes going. :)

Brad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)