separator vs. splitter

rjad

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 24, 2004
Separator and splitter look similiar, but I understand you can't use a splitter in place of a separator. But can one use a separator as a splitter to split out the VHF/UHF signals to serve two old TVs?

The separator is a specific piece of equipment to make the DishProPlus portion work correctly. If you try and use a splitter it wont work. Dish likes to use its own switches for obvious reasons :)

I don't understand the 2nd part....are you trying to combine a OTA antenna and the satellite cable into one? Thats a Diplexer

I understand the first part.

For the second part: I need to split the RF output from a receiver to serve two old TVs (barely used). Don't have a splitter handy, and there is an unused separater lying around. Can it be used as a splitter temperarily?

A seperator cannot be used as a splitter.
A seperator is kinda like a diplexor that seperates the "stacked" DBS band from the "normal" DBS band.

rjad said:
I understand the first part.

For the second part: I need to split the RF output from a receiver to serve two old TVs (barely used). Don't have a splitter handy, and there is an unused separater lying around. Can it be used as a splitter temperarily?

ah, ok...for that you can use any old RF splitter

rjad said:
Separator and splitter look similiar, but I understand you can't use a splitter in place of a separator. But can one use a separator as a splitter to split out the VHF/UHF signals to serve two old TVs?

A splitter will take one VHF/UHF signal path and divide it into two equal VHF/UHF signal paths.

A separator will take in one VHF/UHF signal path and separate it into one VHF path and one UHF path.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)