GEOSATpro Serial Transfer Cable for the microHD

Larry1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Port Hope, ON Canada
Well last weekend when I uploaded a channel ist and put my microHD into the "reboot mode" I realized I should of ordered a USB cable when I purchased my box. My situation was do I wait for a cable to come in the mail and not have the use of the microHD for some time or can I build a cable for it. Well searching around in my odds and ends of parts, I found an old circuit I had made up with a MAX202CPE RS232 to TTL converter. After looking some more, I found an old CD-Rom cable that had the correct plug to connect to the microHD as well as a DB9 serial connector. I build the cable as per my drawing attached with one difference. My CD-Rom cable only had 3 pins in the connector and one one empty spot with no pin. I varied from my drawing by using a 9V battery and a 7805 voltage regulator to power the cable. The rest is the same as shown.
I just thought I would upload my drawing incase any other hobbyist was in a simular situation and could benefit from my drawing.
If you are going to edit your channel lists and have not already ordered a USB cable, make sure to get it ordered before you are in a situation like I was and really needed the cable.

Attachments

• CABLE0002.pdf
    126.1 KB · Views: 325
Well last weekend when I uploaded a channel ist and put my microHD into the "reboot mode" I realized I should of ordered a USB cable when I purchased my box. My situation was do I wait for a cable to come in the mail and not have the use of the microHD for some time or can I build a cable for it. Well searching around in my odds and ends of parts, I found an old circuit I had made up with a MAX202CPE RS232 to TTL converter. After looking some more, I found an old CD-Rom cable that had the correct plug to connect to the microHD as well as a DB9 serial connector. I build the cable as per my drawing attached with one difference. My CD-Rom cable only had 3 pins in the connector and one one empty spot with no pin. I varied from my drawing by using a 9V battery and a 7805 voltage regulator to power the cable. The rest is the same as shown.
I just thought I would upload my drawing incase any other hobbyist was in a simular situation and could benefit from my drawing.
If you are going to edit your channel lists and have not already ordered a USB cable, make sure to get it ordered before you are in a situation like I was and really needed the cable.

Nice!! Thanks for posting. I Love getting stuff to work from old projects. :)

Great advice. I found myself in this situation too. This should be standard practice; if you buy a microHD get a ttl cable with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)