Serial - USB Control for HR-20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vivek9856

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2007
I know that it is possible to control the lower DTV receiver models (D10 and such) using a Serial - USB adapter. However, I could not find anywhere stating that an HR-20 could be controlled by a similar cable.

My reason for asking is as follows. If you have any suggestions, let me know:

I have an HTPC / Server sitting next to my HR-20. I want to be able to stream videos through Orb to my phone/over the internet. Also, I want to be able to record shows and watch them on computers on my home network. Also, I wanted to be able to watch TV through my computer (Windows Media Center through a tuner), but also directly from my receiver to my TV.

I originally planned on using an IR blaster that I had, but my receiver is in a cabinet, and I wanted to be able to use the RF remote. However, I can't use IR and RF at the same time. So. I thought I could use RF for the remote, and then use the Serial / USB for my comp.

How do I go about doing this?

Future updates to the HR20 may make it possible to do as you want. Currently, the HR20 can only receive content from a server.

DBSTalk has a lot of info about the HR20. This thread will help you with networking it.
Step-by-Step Router/Bridge/HR20 Network Configuration Doc - DBSTalk.Com

I just checked over there, and it seems you have been there a couple of times. :)

I don't know if you understand what I am trying to get at exactly... :(:confused:

What do you mean that the HR20 can only pull content from a server? I am not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean the remote booking?

Basically, my goal is to use a serial to USB cable to control the HR20 in place of an IR blaster.

There is a program to do this: DirecTV Serial Control Utility

But, is there a way to integrate this into Media Center through some driver or something?

Exactly.

The USB translator cable is just a USB to serial cable which you can get off of Newegg for $15 bucks.

Just download their software, get the cable from newegg, and your set.

Thanks for the link!

Exactly.

The USB translator cable is just a USB to serial cable which you can get off of Newegg for $15 bucks.

Just download their software, get the cable from newegg, and your set.

Thanks for the link!

Were you able to feed the RS232 codes from within Media Center?

Thanks,

Zeusage

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)