Serious Sound Problems For Returning Dish Customer

Dude, your custom font is painful.

'Dude'? I don't think I've ever been addressed as 'dude'. Considering my age, 'geezer' might be a better appellation.

Painful? In what way is it painful? Seriously. It looks fine on my screen. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else doesn't like the font.

The font is Trebuchet MS, one of the Satellite Guys font options, but if JSheridan doesn't like the font, then I'll revert to plain, old, boring Times New Roman :sorry .

From Wikipedia:
“Trebuchet MS is a humanist sans-serif typeface designed by Vincent Connare for the Microsoft Corporation in 1996. It is named after the trebuchet, a medieval siege engine. The name was inspired by a puzzle question that Connare heard at Microsoft headquarters: “Can you make a trebuchet that could launch a person from main campus to the new consumer campus about a mile away? Mathematically, is it possible and how?” Connare “thought that would be a great name for a font that launches words across the Internet”.”

Could you try running the dish receiver into the TV using HDMI, then the optical cable out of the TV into your avr?

I've been thinking about doing that, but I'm tired of messing around with all the cables; however I might try it, anyway.

I would be extremely surprised if it works, because the problem SEEMS to be with the software, not with the cabling, but it's worth a try.

Once again, I resent having to have these discussions and search for workarounds because of Dish's buggy software/hardware, the fixing of which seems to be a very low priority for Dish, since the sound dropout problem has been around for at least 1.5 years.

'Dude'? I don't think I've ever been addressed as 'dude'. Considering my age, 'geezer' might be a better appellation.

Painful? In what way is it painful? Seriously. It looks fine on my screen. I would be interested in knowing if anyone else doesn't like the font.

The font is Trebuchet MS, one of the Satellite Guys font options, but if JSheridan doesn't like the font, then I'll revert to plain, old, boring Times New Roman :sorry .

From Wikipedia:
“Trebuchet MS is a humanist sans-serif typeface designed by Vincent Connare for the Microsoft Corporation in 1996. It is named after the trebuchet, a medieval siege engine. The name was inspired by a puzzle question that Connare heard at Microsoft headquarters: “Can you make a trebuchet that could launch a person from main campus to the new consumer campus about a mile away? Mathematically, is it possible and how?” Connare “thought that would be a great name for a font that launches words across the Internet”.”

Too small. That's better dude.

You're only as old as you feel. I'm not even going to say how old I am. :)

Yes, I have a Sony KDL60EX720. In the 15-page thread on the Dish Support site, I believe that people mention having TV’s other than Sony.

I read the following on the Internet (which means that it may or may not be true):

• “With component cable you only get video up to 720P.”
  • “No difference in Video quality, except that your component will probably be limited to 1080i (not 1080p).”

I’m glad that you found a solution that works for you, but I’m going to stay with HDMI and optical and hope that Dish finally fixes the sound dropout problem.

I could be wrong on this (someone please chime in if you know for sure!) but component cables will support 720 and and 1080i, but not 1080p. However the hopper does not support 1080p except by interpolation. Saying that I'm OK with the solution.

Hopper does support 1080P but only for a few PPV movies.... and yes, component cables support 720P and 1080i...

Only on some PPV movies correct. Plus using comp cables makes for more of a mess of wires... Not sure if it's likely to fix it but doesn't hurt to try, have you called Sony to see if they can send you a flash drive with a software update?

Since my Sony was more than a year old (out of warranty) they would do nothing! Lovely support. I downloaded the s/w and it did not help solve the problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)