Seriously?

Here is what I wanna know.

What DOES dish do with the returned receivers?

As far as the older ones, dish no longer offers them, and they sure as heck don't give you a used receiver when you sign up.

So where do they all go, do they just recycle them?

They most certainly give out "used" (refurbished) receivers. Not necessarily to new customers but for existing customers who have their receivers replaced for one reason or another, they will most likely get a refurb.

any current receiver model dish refurbs them. So if you give them a 311 or 322 they refurb them and put them back into the field. They do take the 322 and remove the 2nd output and put it in the field as a single tuner SD reciever

The older receivers, get refurbished and sent to Mexico for DISH Mexico, or Canada for Bell TV (ExpressVU)

The newer receviers get tested, fixed and then put back in the field here in the US.

If it looks too good to be true, chances are it is... $30 for satellite equipment (especially a 722) is beyond too good to be true. The 722 has a 500GB SATA drive, not sure where you got 250GB IDE from... The DVR 625 has a 250GB IDE. A for what Dish does with them, yes they do give new customers refurbs, all the time. They also give out refurbs as replacement receivers.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Coinmaster32, I'd love to buy that receiver off of you. I'll pay $50 for it. All I need you to do is wire me $1000 and I'll send you the change after I get the receiver in the mail. Sending me your SS # and Credit Card numbers are optional.

Coinmaster32, I'd love to buy that receiver off of you. I'll pay $50 for it. All I need you to do is wire me $1000 and I'll send you the change after I get the receiver in the mail. Sending me your SS # and Credit Card numbers are optional.

Don't forget, you'll need his mother's maiden name, name of his first pet, and city of birth for, err, "verification."
;)

I would return it to them if asked, but it would not cost me to do so. Aside from the money pissed away on eBay obviously.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

They most certainly give out "used" (refurbished) receivers. Not necessarily to new customers but for existing customers who have their receivers replaced for one reason or another, they will most likely get a refurb.

Yep, they sent me a refurb 211 (at no charge, just paid shipping) to replace a non-working legacy 301. And 3 years later it still works great. All the included cables and the remote looked new.
I was surprised that the receiver was the classic silver color instead of the more modern black color. BTW, what's the differnce in a silver 211 and a black 211?? (and don't tell me it's the color)

All receivers eventually go out of production. So there's only refurbs available for replacements and new customers.

Does anyone thing anything other than the HWS is still in production?

I'm not certain but,I do know that the 722K has a faster,or maybe I should say improved chip.So,I suppose it's possible the 211K falls into that category as well.

Does anyone think anything other than the HWS is still in production?

No.

Here are my thoughts...

Its technically property of Dish since its their leased receiver, so it should be returned.

However, the person who sold it to you has some responcibility to make sure that they can indeed sell it to you, so I would go back and contact the seller on ebay and let them know they sold you leased equipment and the persons whos name is on the account will more than likely be charged $300 for the equipment. Offer for them to pay your return shipping and provide a full refund and let them ship it back to Dish.

If the seller refuses, then they can pay Dish the $300 for the un-returned equipment and you can take out the hard drive and use the receiver for parts.

As far as Dish asking for you to send the receiver back, unless they want to credit you the money you paid for the receiver, or send you an empty box with a label to send it back to them, I wouldn't waste my time

Here are my thoughts...

However, the person who sold it to you has some responcibility to make sure that they can indeed sell it to you, so I would go back and contact the seller on ebay and let them know they sold you leased equipment and the persons whos name is on the account will more than likely be charged $300 for the equipment.

Claude, please read original post. Unit was purchased at an Estate Sale. He intended to RESELL it on Ebay.

Claude, please read original post. Unit was purchased at an Estate Sale. He intended to RESELL it on Ebay.

I read that part. Who ever is selling the items in the estate sale, have an obligation to make sure they are not costing the estate any money.

Here is a question. If there was a Comcast box, would the person doing the estate sale be selling it on ebay?

For lack of a better title, that's call I could think of.

I will admit this is partially my fault.

A couple of days ago, I purchased a Dish receiver to resell on eBay. I see a lot of used receivers on eBay, so I bought it for $30, it is worth around $100.

It was at a house sale auction. They sold the house, and then the personal property. The couple that owned it, the man passed away, and the wife was the last out of the family alive.

I figure since they moved out of the house, they would of cancelled the programming, since they had not live there for a couple years.

So I assumed (my fault), that it was clear to resell.

Today I call dish and give them the R00# and they said there is a $654 balance owed on it. (Dunno how on earth they could of racked up that much).

Dish wants the receiver back.

Now I can understand that dish did not want to credit me $30 for my loss, and that's OK with me. It's not dish's fault that I bought a "balance owed" receiver.

Get this, dish wants me to return the receiver to them. They said they would pay for return shipping, but I would (get this) have to buy a box, packing material, and tape, to box it up and send it to them.

So not only am I out $30, they wanted ME to buy a box, and packing material, and tape (about $5.) and send it back.

So I asked if maybe they would hook me up with HBO or Cinemax free for 3 months (about $12-$13).

I figure if I have to spend time and money boxing it up, they should at least compensate me somehow, right?

Nope, even after speaking to loyalty, they won't do anything for me.

So hence the title of this thread. Not only did I just loose 30 dollars, they wanted me to spend time and money shipping it back to them.

Well guess what? Unless dish offers me something (hell a $5 ala-carte channel would suffice), I'm going to keep the receiver in my closet.

Who do you think they are? DIRECTV?