Service Downgrade - Beware

Problem resolved with Dish Chat. Took over 2 hours, way too long, kept coming back to the same issue your equipment must be upgraded to the latest to receive all the channels. Even had some hilarious responses like -USA Network isn't in HD and that I never had it in HD - and - system won't let me give you HD because your 311 is not an HD receiver- never mind my 2 VIP 612 DVRs that I had with HD for years. For now I am back to the channels I had before I did the downgrade, but doing some research on DISHCHANNELCHART.COM I see HD channels listed on 110 & 119 satellites that I am not receiving. Once I gather all the info I will raise the issue with Dish.

Make sure they are conus HD channels you are seeing listed but missing and not spot beam HD channels that only Alaska or Hawaii can see.

Reactions: TheKrell
Even had some hilarious responses like -USA Network isn't in HD and that I never had it in HD
I wouldn't have had the patience you had in dealing with incompetence like that.

system won't let me give you HD because your 311 is not an HD receiver
If they try that again, tell them to deactivate it (for now).

I am back to the channels I had before I did the downgrade, but doing some research on DISHCHANNELCHART.COM I see HD channels listed on 110 & 119 satellites that I am not receiving
What channels ?

I have a pretty good idea what may have happened. When a customer has HD, with the America's Everything package, they will have AEP and HD AEP. Another example, if they have AT120 and HD, will show in our system that they have AT120 and HD120. I cannot tell you how many agents mess it up (it makes a vein pop in my head). Often, when changing packages, the agent will change the base pack (in this case from AEP to AT250), remove the HD AEP, and not add the HD250 to the account. It takes a good, veteran agent about 15 seconds to find that in the activity tab on our system. The problem, of course, is getting a good, veteran agent. Chat agents are usually not that.

I have a pretty good idea what may have happened. When a customer has HD, with the America's Everything package, they will have AEP and HD AEP. Another example, if they have AT120 and HD, will show in our system that they have AT120 and HD120. I cannot tell you how many agents mess it up (it makes a vein pop in my head). Often, when changing packages, the agent will change the base pack (in this case from AEP to AT250), remove the HD AEP, and not add the HD250 to the account. It takes a good, veteran agent about 15 seconds to find that in the activity tab on our system. The problem, of course, is getting a good, veteran agent. Chat agents are usually not that.

Your explanation makes some sense because at one point during my conversation with Dish it was said that I didn't have HD with AEP.
I feel they're too focused on equipment, if it don't match what they have been told is the latest system it can't possibly work. They couldn't understand
that my system was working fine I downgraded and lost these HD channels .This occurred with more than one agent and was what caused me a lot of time to get this issue resolved.

Oh glob! I had to go through that... before DIRT existed.

I see in your record you changed to Top 200 and dropped HD.
Why would I want to drop HD?
We can add it for $10 a month.
I have it for free!
But you dropped it.
No, the last agent dropped it...

AAAACCCCCKKK!!!

Who is this DIRT guy and why isn't he out working the garden?

Really, what is the DIRT team, excuse my ignorance.

DIRT is the Dish Internet Response Team. They are employees of Dish who monitor this forum and act as a go between. They are major problem solvers. Their names will always be in red when they are on line. There are several of them.

They really are great agents. Super agents, so to speak. I have a different (higher) position, so to speak, but most of them have been doing what they're doing longer than I have been in the company. When it comes to finding answers, they are really, really good. This forum is not their only responsibility, so I can imagine they have their hands full. They handle the replies on the company's FB page, which has to take the patience of a saint.

Also, while I may sometimes be helpful, the DIRT folks are doing this on the clock (I'm not) and they can actually check people's accounts. I can't (I'm off the clock).

Great explanation from SomeDishGuy. OP, had you been talking to offshore CSR's. I have found that they seem to just stick to script, not dishonest, but just don't have an understanding of what's going on HERE in the USA and HOW these things work in real-life. Right now Dish is heavily involved in changing out equipment to meet 8PSK in the WA and most of the time the issue may be equipment upgrade related, but offshore they always seem to believe you need the WRONG thing. I've found CSR's in the USA to be 100% the last 5 times I've had to call, and sometimes I let the offshore people handle it, but they have NO CLUE they are just plain wrong because they have no personal experience with US DBS services.

Of course, the DIRT are the best. They seem to have taken the place of the old Executive Office CSR's Dish used to have (does Dish still have them?) . If it is a somewhat nuanced situation or problem, I always start with USA CSR's, and if that does not work or if it is a truly complex matter, I would head straight for DIRT.

Glad it was fixed, but there needs to be MAJOR re-training offshore. I've had people become very upset because they were told they needed new equipment or an upgrade when all it took was a push of a button on the USA CSR center.

Of course, the DIRT are the best. They seem to have taken the place of the old Executive Office CSR's Dish used to have (does Dish still have them?) . If it is a somewhat nuanced situation or problem, I always start with USA CSR's, and if that does not work or if it is a truly complex matter, I would head straight for DIRT.

If you are talking about the Executive REsolution Team, they are now called the Office of the President. DIRT shares the department with the online reps, although there is a definite seperation between the offshore and onshore reps(Just like on the phones). The best way I have to describe DIRT, is they are Hand Picked agents, that would rather be on an internet based CS, rather than phone based. The fact that they are a small department and hand picked, does afford them the ability to perform their tasks so much better. They truly are some of the best agents in the company, and that is coming from a former Broadband Supervisor(we could do almost anything we wanted). Being an internet based team, they tend to be more knowledgeable in technology as well, which is a major upper hand. I am not saying there are not people like that on the phones, but with their big higher spout a couple years ago, the Advanced TEch Support, and Broadband teams are SOOOO watered down now, it is hard to tell when you are going to get a good agent on the phone. If I need something done right away, I call in. If I can wait a little while, Ill shoot the DIRT team a quick message. I would rather allow them to take care of "real" customers first, especially the pissed off ones on their FB and Twitter pages.

If you are talking about the Executive REsolution Team, they are now called the Office of the President. DIRT shares the department with the online reps, although there is a definite seperation between the offshore and onshore reps(Just like on the phones). The best way I have to describe DIRT, is they are Hand Picked agents, that would rather be on an internet based CS, rather than phone based. The fact that they are a small department and hand picked, does afford them the ability to perform their tasks so much better. They truly are some of the best agents in the company, and that is coming from a former Broadband Supervisor(we could do almost anything we wanted). Being an internet based team, they tend to be more knowledgeable in technology as well, which is a major upper hand. I am not saying there are not people like that on the phones, but with their big higher spout a couple years ago, the Advanced TEch Support, and Broadband teams are SOOOO watered down now, it is hard to tell when you are going to get a good agent on the phone. If I need something done right away, I call in. If I can wait a little while, Ill shoot the DIRT team a quick message. I would rather allow them to take care of "real" customers first, especially the pissed off ones on their FB and Twitter pages.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I think another thing about DIRT, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that DIRT seems to be authorized to do things beyond what the software at the common CSR does NOT allow them to do.

I totally, agree. I will ALWAYS just call CSR-but USA CSR ONLY-for just about anything because I'll have simple matters, and reserve any contact with DIRT or Office of President for when the CSR's either did not satisfy or are just clueless about something that is rather complicated. I, too try leave the higher level assistance from Dish for those who really need SPECIAL help.

Reactions: TheKrell
I think the best way I can describe it would be, they have the same capability as any rep on the phone, but less eyes watching, and more knowledge to be able to get it right the first time. basically, they do the same as any phone rep, they are just smarter then most phone reps. Lol.

Also, it should be mentioned the ERT/OOP team has a completely separate responsibility then the DIRT team. DIRT is there to basically offer the CS to those that would prefer online forums such as this or Twitter. OOP is there for the escalations of issues such as BBB or AG complaints from customers. They are like the last account before something would go to court. DIRT members are 'just' reps... But everyone knows, we would hate to go without them.

OK, GREAT clarification from both of the two previous posts. Good to know. I now have a much more clear idea of the different levels or portals of support. Like most, all I rally care about is that someone at Dish either solve a problem (non-technical) or provide what I am entitled to or due as part of my subscription or terms of upgrades or promotions, etc. I don't seek any "freebies" or exceptions to policies. However, in the past the higher level CEO offices SOMETIMES did provide beyond because my experience with CSR's was so negative/bad and cause such problems for me (I would always tell them the long story of how I was bounced around, given incorrect info, or told I had to pay when I KNEW I did not have to pay, etc. and how much TIME and trouble a relatively SIMPLE matter would take) they wanted to be certain that I knew that Dish found such an arduous journey seeking resolution should have never happened and is NOT an acceptable experience for customers), something like what Starbucks would do to somehow compensate for all the trouble I had until I finally got resolution. I greatly appreciate that Dish does have avenues or alternative places to go for resolution if the basic CSR's can't or won't help. Does any other MVPD have any committed customer service avenues beyond the basic CSR? That would be interesting.

Reactions: ChadT41 and BBCInc
Isn't it the buyer's responsibility to check before making a change like that? A simple glance at the channel guides @Dishnetwork.com shows which package contains which channels.
Did it not occur to you to at least ask someone? Saving $54 dollars encompasses a lot more than a simple box change? Buyer beware ...................

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)