Service Restored to 129 Satellite!

Daily Double

The math geek in me is curious to know the distance that the satellite traveled out of it's box. I can't remember my SSA, ASA, SAS, etc. from trig back in the day to figure it out.
so how far is the distance traveled in this statement
at no time did the satellite veer outside the 128.8°-129.2° W.L.
i know it's a difference of .4 degrees but what does that come out too in distance between them?:confused::confused:

A little wikipedia searching and quick calculations gave me this:

The Clarke Orbit is about 265,000 km (165,000 mi) long. (taking wikipedia's word on this one, although a calulation could be done for the orbital hight plus the radius of the earth, multiplied times pi.)

165000 / 360 = 458.3 miles per degree

458.3 * .4 = 183.3 miles traveled in .4 degrees

Reading the statement though, it doesn't look like it traveled quite this far, but was in this 183.3 mile area.

You can bet there will be words between DISH and SES. Hours is a long time to wait to tell someone that their satellite went for a spin.
Thats not it. Anytime there is an interuption there are procedures and checklists they must go through before putting the satellite back in operation.

The distance is somewhere between the arc length and the chord length (for a powered move as opposed to a drift). The difference is pretty small so I'll use the algebraic calculation for arc length.

angle/360 * 2 ? R = 182.9035 miles

where R is the radius of the orbit (versus the height above sea level).

Altitude of Clarke Belt = 22236 miles
Radius of Earth = 3963 miles
R = 26199 miles

I usually cheap out and use the sine (opposite over hypotenuse):

R sine angle = 182.902 miles

Thats not it. Anytime there is an interuption there are procedures and checklists they must go through before putting the satellite back in operation.
If they know the satellite is offline, they don't need to wade through a restoration checklist before they notify the customer that there is a problem.

If they know the satellite is offline, they don't need to wade through a restoration checklist before they notify the customer that there is a problem.

I had an industrial factory fire years ago that was big enough to be covered by the national evening newscasts. The last thing I was thinking about was news releases. I'd guess this was big enough to have everyone running in circles since they apparantly did not know what happened.

"The STA could not have been requested earlier than today as the satellite’s orbital parameters and drift were not reported to DISH and EchoStar until the morning of Wednesday, September 14, 2011."

On the other hand, although I understand how the "Easterners" say they are the market, we "Westerners" do get excited when our main HD satellite disappears. California alone has something like 12 percent of the US population.

TRANSCRIPT of CONVERSATION BETWEEN SES and DISH NETWORK UPLINK CENTER [DNU]

SES AUTO-ATTENDANT: Hello, thank you for calling SES, your satellite company, where we provide satellite service to the world. Did you know that SES is a world-leading satellite operator, providing reliable and secure satellite communications solutions to broadcast, telecom, corporate and government customers worldwide.

We own and operate a fleet of 47 geostationary satellites that are complemented by a network of teleports and offices located around the globe. This far-reaching infrastructure enables our customers to reach 99% of the world’s population and places SES at the heart of the global communications chain.

We are headquartered in Luxembourg and operate worldwide through dedicated regional teams. We are listed on Euronext Paris and on the Luxembourg Stock Exchange (SESG).

Please enter or say your ten-digit telephone number so I can access your records.

DNU: 800333DISH

SES AUTO-ATTENDANT: I am sorry, I did not understand you, please enter or say your ten-digit telephone number, using numbers only! What do you think I am, an AT&T Operator from the 50s?

DNU: 8003333474

SES AUTO-ATTENDANT: beep, squark, noise, blurp, beep - OK, I see you are one of our best customers!

How can I help you today? You can interrupt me as soon as you hear something which you think might help. Just remember to speak louder than me. You can say NEW SATELLITE, BILLING, MOVE OFFICE, MOVE SATELLITE ORBIT, TECH SUPPORT, AUTO-DISTRUCT, LAUNCH RESCHEDULE, DISCONNECT SERVICE, PROGRAM CH

DNU: TECH SUPORT

SES AUTO-ATTENDANT: I am sorry, I did not understand you. You can say You can say NEW SATELLITE, BILLING, MOVE OFFICE, MOVE SATELLITE ORBIT, TECH SUPPORT, AUTO-DISTRUCT, LAUNCH RESCHEDULE, DISCONNECT SE

DNU: TECK NICK CAL SUP PORT

SES AUTO-ATTENDANT: OK, Technical Support. I can get you there . . .

Did you know that you can go to the SES website and find answers to many of what our persnickity uplink center users perceive as common problems? Just go to Satellite Services - SES.com. There you can find information on common satellite problems and may be able to self-asssit your company before I can get you to tech support.

I will route your call to someone who can help you in a few minutes, but first I need to tell you that you should be in front of your UPLINK CONFIGURATION MONITOR. If you are not there and need some time to get there, say WAIT, when you are ready to continue, say CONTINUE . . . . .

You can also try to UNPLUG your UPLINK CENTER for one hour and then plug it back in - this frequently resolves the problems right away.

Have you experienced high winds lately? Many of our customers have problems with the allignment of thier uplink dishes. If you have experienced high winds lately be cartain to tell the support rep this information right away so we can schedule a team to come to your location and re-allign your uplink center.

OBNOXIOUS MUSIC ON HOLD

All of our representatives are extremely busy right now, but your call is extremely important to us. Your approximate wait time is . . .

SES: Hello, thank you for calling SES, my name is Korraine, how may I help you today?

DNU: Hi, this is Matt over at the Dish Network Uplink Center, we seem to be having a problem with CEIL II at 129 West,

SES: Thank you, Matt, I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with CEIL II, do you mind if I verify the billing address associated with this satellite?

DNU: Well, no, I guess not. We have a lot of offices, so this may not be right, but try 9601 S. Meridian Blvd. Englewood, CO 80112

SES: OK, Thank you, Matt, now do you mind if I ask you for the billing telephone number on that account?

DNU: 800.333.8474

SES: No, I am sorry, Matt, but that is not right. Perhaps there is another number?

DNU: How about 888.624.3474

SES: OK, Matt, now I have just one more question before we can begin. Can you tell me the last four digits of the social security number on this account?

DNU: NO, this is a businnes, it does not have a social security nunmber, it has an EIN and I do not have it. Now, we have a bird which is not functioning, can we please get to the issue at hand so we can get our programming restored?

SES: I am sorry, Matt, we do not handle birds or wildlife here at SES. We handle only satellites. Since you are located in Colorado, I think you should probably try calling the Colorado Division of Wildlife. It is very possible that a large bird has built a nest in your uplink dish and is blocking your ability to send your signal to your satellite. The Colorado Division of Wildlife can assist you better than us. You can find both their website and telephone number if you google for it.

DNU: But WAIT, I meant a satellite bird!

SES: Thank you for calling SES, Matt. If you should be selected for a random survey, please remember to rate my service as EXCELLENT. Goodbye.

TRANSCRIPT of CONVERSATION BETWEEN SES and DISH NETWORK UPLINK CENTER [DNU]

How can I help you today? You can interrupt me as soon as you hear something which you think might help. Just remember to speak louder than me. You can say NEW SATELLITE, BILLING, MOVE OFFICE, MOVE SATELLITE ORBIT, TECH SUPPORT, AUTO-DISTRUCT, LAUNCH RESCHEDULE, DISCONNECT SERVICE, PROGRAM CH

SES: Thank you for calling SES, Matt. If you should be selected for a random survey, please remember to rate my service as EXCELLENT. Goodbye.
Now this is too long to quote it all ....... however, THANK YOU and you score the best post of the day. Laughed until my Depends leaked and I spotted the recliner. Amazing --- simply amazing! WELL DONE!
:D;):eek::angel::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::canada::amen::amen::first::first::first::first::first::first::first:

Now ........ I have a question. Is it possible this temporary satellite and transponders etc are NOT COMPRESSING the signal as much as the sick little bird? It may be the bottle of Grey Goose - but things look "sharper" to me on this birdie than the one that went astray.

Just askin' .................. anyone?

Now ........ I have a question. Is it possible this temporary satellite and transponders etc are NOT COMPRESSING the signal as much as the sick little bird? It may be the bottle of Grey Goose - but things look "sharper" to me on this birdie than the one that went astray.

Same bird but had a reboot like an Windows PC. So of course it looks better. :D :whoo: I had to say it couldn't resist.

We received a gallon bottle of Grey Goose from one of the guests who attended our annual Garden Party in August but have not even opened it yet so I know our Grey Goose bottle was not used as the replacement. Anyone missing theirs?

129 may be out again around 10pm PT. I cannot receive CNN, CNBC, CSN Chicago HD, and other 129 stuff. Programming on 110 and SD on 119 is not affected. Hopefully this is a re-positioning move late at night and nothing more...

I've had pixelation and a couple of complete dropouts tonight in the Atlanta spot beam. I wasn't watching any of the channels like CNN, etc.

The report said it would be Monday before the bird was back in its old slot, so I guess it's up there wobbling around.