Servicing 4dtv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boomer_106

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Ok here is the scoop. I have a 922 that wont power up. I posted here about it and got the number to Motorola and called them. They say it needs service. My question is has anyone worked on these? I have a feeling it will be some pretty simple parts to fix it. Obviously I'm not positive of that. Just a hunch. Has anyone had this problem ? Do you know what it takes to fix it? Thanks for your help.

922 4dtv Repair

Do the front lights come on at all when you plug it in? Do you see "WM UP" on the front panel? If you disconnect everything but the power cord, will it boot up? If it is still under warranty, you will have to send it to Motorola for repair. If it is out of warranty, you might want to contact ATS Electronics, Inc. Here is their website: http://www.atselectronics.com/

Hey photoman, No the front lights do not come on when I plug it in. Nothing comes on at all. If I disconnect everything except the power cord it still does nothing. It is not under warranty. I have noticed something peculiar though. Right behind where the power cord plugs into the daughter board, just inside the case, there is what looks similar to a glass type fuse. I put my meter across it to check for continuity and have none. I'm no expert so I dont know if this is normal or not but, it wouldn't seem so. The center part of it is a white color so I cant tell exactly what is supposed to do.
I contacted Motorola before and they said it would have to be sent in. I just thought maybe someone here was a repair oriented person. It seems alot of these have problems so I thought maybe there is one common part that is failing?

922 Repair

It sounds like the fuse on the power supply board has blown and needs to be replaced. Unless you are an experienced electronics technician, I would highly recommend that you do not attempt to fix it yourself. If the 922 is similar to the 920, the fuse is soldered to the underside of the board. Changing it is not a simple matter. Doing it incorrectly could further damage the receiver and cause shock and fire danger. Even if you did replace the fuse, there could be other problems which caused the fuse to blow in the first place. If any other problems are not fixed first, the fuse would probably just blow again. I would suggest that you contact ATS Electronics rather than Motorola, since the unit is out of warranty.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)