SES 2 @ 87°W With a 6' Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I'm curious if there is anyone in this forum who can tell me what results I can expect with a 6' dish pointed at 87°W. I checked the footprint, and I'm in the 42 dBW EIRP here in Ohio. What channels are available here with a 6' dish?

Just yesterday for a test I repointed a 6' offset dish at 87W. I was really trying to see if I could get the 4000H 29125 TP (retro TV channels) which I normally watch with my 10' dish. To my surprise I can with 58Q. Totally watchable with a clear sky here in NY yesterday. The microHD takes about a minute to lock it. The Univision and Westar affiliate backup channels have 75Q.

A member here reported that they had increased the power recently and apparently succeeded. I had tried several times in the past and was only able to receive the DVB-S transponders on 87W on the 6' dishes. Several years ago when Luken was running 2 DVB-S2 TPs, I tried and was only able to barely lock one of them. The last time I tried was a few months ago and the RTV channels were not even a blip.

Reactions: Dee_Ann
I guess the best way to describe reception on 87W c band on a 6ft dish would be inconsistent. I have had a 6ft dish for about 1 ½ years and am in the 43dbW area. I will go months at a time where the luken mux is receivable, I have gone months when it is not, and I have gone months when I get it part of the day but not all. Reception is good right now.

Thanks for the input Corrado and 77TA. I studied the footprint maps, and I figured that 87°W had a really good signal on C-band where I live. But from what it sounds like, a 6' dish may not give me what I desire even on the strong satellites like this one. I don't want spotty unreliable signals if I'm going to install a C-band dish, so perhaps a 2.1 meter (6.89') dish would be the minimum for reliability. The satellite I would really want is SES 6 at 40.5°W. There is a ton of Spanish channels at this one that I would watch, and I have a good spot to put the dish for aiming at 40.5°W. These are all circularly polarized, and there are also a lot of DVB-S2 channels which would make it difficult... I'm thinking an 8' dish may bring me what I desire for 40.5°W. There is no way I would go beyond 8' though.

Are you still getting RTV on the 6'. If not when was the last time you received it on 6'?
I am in central NYS and in the end I had to use a 12' solid to get it.
Now I been asked to move a 7.5' dish to try to get it again.
I has just been a PITA.

Thanks for the info

Just yesterday for a test I repointed a 6' offset dish at 87W. I was really trying to see if I could get the 4000H 29125 TP (retro TV channels) which I normally watch with my 10' dish. To my surprise I can with 58Q. Totally watchable with a clear sky here in NY yesterday. The microHD takes about a minute to lock it. The Univision and Westar affiliate backup channels have 75Q.

A member here reported that they had increased the power recently and apparently succeeded. I had tried several times in the past and was only able to receive the DVB-S transponders on 87W on the 6' dishes. Several years ago when Luken was running 2 DVB-S2 TPs, I tried and was only able to barely lock one of them. The last time I tried was a few months ago and the RTV channels were not even a blip.

the signal is smokin' hot on a 8' dish,
6' dish would probably get it fine, but if your going that far, why not step up to an 8' and get it strong?
if its an offset dish and your anywhere near east tennessee i would love to work out some kind of trade.
i would love to have a 6' Ku dish ;)

Same here. It is the first time I receive the 4000 so solid and stable. It has been that way since the last week. Hopefully it will stay for a long time. I myself, have a 6ft dish and 4000 is usually out of the picture for me. As corrado says, it has been traditionally good only with a 10 ft dish. My signal fluctuates around 65 with a Geosat Micro HD receiver ( probably yet the best receiver for pure FTA)

And I got it on a 7.5' dish with a dual Ku/C LNB. Forgot the model.

Are you still getting RTV on the 6'. If not when was the last time you received it on 6'?
I am in central NYS and in the end I had to use a 12' solid to get it.
Now I been asked to move a 7.5' dish to try to get it again.
I has just been a PITA.

Thanks for the info

Status
Please reply by conversation.