SES2 87W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

metal head

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
The Rock
Do anyone know the KU footprint for SES2, just wondering if it includes Newfoundland. And if it does whats a good strong tp to use. Thanks for any help.

Hello Newfoundland. satbeams footprint here indicates you need a 90cm dish. I watch this one here near Halifax all the time. LPB on it is one of my favourites. For dish tuning, try the Patient channel on 11717 H 4856 or Bloomberg on 11724 H 3675. Once you receive one of those, then go for the harder to receive DVB-S2 signals of LPB on 11807 H 11149. It's worth the trouble.

I got the satellite, no trouble at all. But the LPD channels did not come in. Actually I got no signal on that tp at all. Is there a trick to getting those.

It may only be a matter of adjusting your dish a hair East/West/Up/Down. You can find that out by pulling/pushing in each of those directions with a finger and holding it for five seconds or so, so that a signal will register on your receiver. If you can see a signal by doing that adjust your dish accordingly. S2 signals can be tricky with smaller dishes.

FWIW, I find best signals from LPB are in the late evening hours. During daytime, I usually cannot receive it but, as the night progresses, the signal becomes much stronger. That would be the best time to do dish orientation if possible. Right now, before sunset here, I am not receiving it. And one bump of the motor can make the difference between receiving nothing and receiving perfect video.

The footprint says I need a 70cm dish here in BC, however I certainly need the one meter fixed dish to get a good lock on LPB. The 1 meter motorized dish is just not accurate enough. Unlike DVBS signals, S2 signals are either there or they are gone. There seems to be very little in-between area where there is pixilation. One heavy rain cloud can make the difference. I suspect you will need a 1.2 meter dish to get S2 signals and 90 cm for the stronger DVBS signals.

I am always on 87W for Telemundo which is weaker than the Patient channel. LPB is just a bonus signal that compliments the family of channels on 125W.

I, like above, also have a particular transponder with an S2 signal that just won't come in the morning unless the conditions are just right.

Last edited:
I understand and agree. Though I like using a motor since I believe that at different times of day, the dish actually needs to be oriented in a slightly different manner for best signal reception. I don't know if this is caused by weather, temperature, the presence of vegetation near the dish, humidity, etc. Now, at 11:00 pm local time, LPB is strong and the HD channel is just great to watch. I receive Telemundo more easily than LPB, but it's weaker than Patient as you say. Though Telemundo is blank now; perhaps it's off the air at this time of night. I am working on getting a dedicated dish fixed on 125W. Just need some nice weather to get it done.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts