Set those mechanical limit switches & Lightning

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bpalone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 1, 2014
44N 105W
I had promised to upload some pictures of my dish damage, so here they are. Also included are pictures of the repaired dish.

As a side note, I had contacted to Tek2000 to inquire about new mount, just in case it turned out that way. They responded and informed me that they had beefed up their mount from what I have. Just thought I would pass that on, in case someone was thinking of buying one from them.

The following pictures tell the tale of WHY YOU SHOULD SET THE MECHANICAL LIMIT SWITCHES.

Attachments

• shrunk-DSCN5865.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5865.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 234
  • shrunk-DSCN5866.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5866.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 217
  • shrunk-DSCN5868.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5868.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 229
  • shrunk-DSCN5869.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5869.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 218
  • shrunk-DSCN5870.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5870.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 241
  • shrunk-DSCN5877.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5877.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 234
  • shrunk-DSCN5872.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5872.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 247
  • shrunk-DSCN5874.JPG
    shrunk-DSCN5874.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 231
I had promised to upload some pictures of my dish damage, so here they are. Also included are pictures of the repaired dish.

As a side note, I had contacted to Tek2000 to inquire about new mount, just in case it turned out that way. They responded and informed me that they had beefed up their mount from what I have. Just thought I would pass that on, in case someone was thinking of buying one from them.

The following pictures tell the tale of WHY YOU SHOULD SET THE MECHANICAL LIMIT SWITCHES.
Glad to see your dish is fixed. I think you and I set up our Tek2000 dishes about the same time so I probably have the 'non beefed up' mount as well. :( Gonna check my limit switches just to be safe. Any progress with the rest of your equipment?

Still turning up stuff that was affected by the near strike. Just replaced the TV, will mess with old one to see if maybe just a component or two would fix it. Lost my Micro HD receiver, and found that the one I had in reserve was bad. My AZ Box survived and my A3 survived. Think the A3 survived because the power supply sacrificed itself. My old actuator controller is had, have an ASC1 coming, the CHEAP VBOX stuff even has a tough time in the summer, so the ASC1 should cure all those headaches. Not sure about the status of my Venture actuator, I just hung the one that came with the 8 foot kit back on it.

Even finding things elsewhere that are having issues. No rhyme or reason as to what gets whacked and what doesn't.

All in all, nothing money won't cure.

Still turning up stuff that was affected by the near strike. Just replaced the TV, will mess with old one to see if maybe just a component or two would fix it. Lost my Micro HD receiver, and found that the one I had in reserve was bad. My AZ Box survived and my A3 survived. Think the A3 survived because the power supply sacrificed itself. My old actuator controller is had, have an ASC1 coming, the CHEAP VBOX stuff even has a tough time in the summer, so the ASC1 should cure all those headaches. Not sure about the status of my Venture actuator, I just hung the one that came with the 8 foot kit back on it.

Even finding things elsewhere that are having issues. No rhyme or reason as to what gets whacked and what doesn't.

All in all, nothing money won't cure.
Know what you mean. When we got zapped I expected the stuff hooked to the antenna/dishes to be involved but the kids computer was in another room and not attached to the entertainment stuff in any way. Glad some of your equipment made it. Good luck getting things up and running again.

Like that cement mixer in the background... Been looking for something like that at auction sales up here, no one ever wants to get rid of them!

Lightning is a strange phenomenon, every hit is different and there is always something that gets hit or survives that one doesn't expect. The most prevalent memory of the last hit here was the strike itself; I was in the house at the time and had just disconnected the antenna from the TV and was half way across the living room when everything turned white... I mean everything! The percussion was like one would imagine being close to an explosion... Thought the whole house blew up for a moment. Then the fresh smell of ozone and dust... Biggest worry after realizing what had happened was if there was a fire somewhere. Makes one realize that it can get a lot worse than zapping some electronic gear...

Reminds me of my first 4DTV receiver that had the "runaway actuator bug". Woke up one morning and the clock on my 4DTV was stuck at 2:00am. I knew right then something was wrong. Looked outside at my 10 foot dish and sure enough it was cranked all the way over to the east. The limit switch stopped it before any damage, but I had to help the dish back because the arm wouldn't pull it back. After that I set the limit just past my last Satellite East and never again had a problem. I had one of the first dsr-922's made by General Instruments. Great memories of a wonderful hobby.

The cement mixer is Harbor Freight special. I don't remember what I paid for it, but it wasn't all that bad.

I don't quite understand everything I know about lightning strikes. My Winegard system sat at the old house from 1988 until we moved into the new house back in 2000 and never has been hit at either place in 27 years.

Mounted a second dish at the new house about 5 years ago not 75 feet from that original one and it's been a freaking lightning rod since, ie, lost my 24" HD TV TWICE IN ONE YEAR, LAN on my AZBox Elete, the gigabit switch it was connected to and the LAN function on the motherboard of my main shop computer. Also have lost 3 DMX741 LNBFs as well. Two years ago I put a ground rod in and connected it to that dish post and haven't had another problem to date??? Every time a storm comes up though I disconnect everything from that system just to be safe. Oh, and I hold my breath also as there are no more DMX741s around!

Also have lost 3 DMX741 LNBFs as well. Two years ago I put a ground rod in and connected it to that dish post and haven't had another problem to date??? Every time a storm comes up though I disconnect everything from that system just to be safe. Oh, and I hold my breath also as there are no more DMX741s around!
Well, it's not a DMX741 but there is this option. I'm always wary about ordering from China but they do have 100% positive feedback. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...t-twin-LNBF-15K-Satellite-LNB/1891952008.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts