SET TV is Ordered To Pay Dish $90 Million in Piracy Damages

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bluegras

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
For some time, SET TV was the talk of cord cutting. Hundreds of channels for just $20 a month. Many argued if it was legal and the battle went on even after Dish sued SETTV. Now a United States Judge has ordered the founders of SET TV to pay Dish $90,000,000 in damages.

“DISH is awarded statutory damages of $90,199,000 under the FCA. The statutory damages are calculated at the parties’ agreed upon $500 for each of the 180,398 subscribers that were acquired directly by Defendants and provided with unauthorized access to DISH’s television programming using Defendants’ SetTV streaming service. Defendants are jointly and severally liable for all damages awarded herein,” the Judge wrote.

SET TV is Ordered To Pay Dish $90 Million in Piracy Damages - Cord Cutters News

Reactions: charlesrshell
Now Dish can afford to bring back HBO :p

Was going to post the same thing when I read the headline!
lol.gif

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I will say this. As much as I hate Dish, I will give them credit for going after these guys.

These illegal streaming services are killing the pay Tv Industry.

New video subscriptions are at an all time low due to streaming, so this was much needed.

Now if they can just figure out how to go after all the jail broken fire sticks. The piracy on that has gotten so bad people don’t even realize it’s illegal

I wish DISH offered a Whistle Blower Reward and a way to report these illegal streaming services.

I My Facebook has lots of ads for these services, offering over 1,000 live channels for only $30 a year. No way in hell they can be legal.

I report the ads to Facebook and get a reply back that the ads do not violate their guidelines. :(

I will say this. As much as I hate Dish, I will give them credit for going after these guys.

These illegal streaming services are killing the pay Tv Industry.

New video subscriptions are at an all time low due to streaming, so this was much needed.

Now if they can just figure out how to go after all the jail broken fire sticks. The piracy on that has gotten so bad people don’t even realize it’s illegal

"Jailbreaking" a FireTVstick is not illegal. It simply means the operating system root privileges have been unblocked and made available to the user. The same thing is routinely done with other Android, iOS, Linux, and Windows OS's when admin privileges are enabled. The root privileges are blocked in the first place simply to protect the casual user from inadvertently damaging the OS, not to prevent any potential illegal use. One of the most commonly used apps for streaming illegal programming is Kodi, and it does not require root privileges to operate. To be clear, Kodi itself is also not illegal, but there are some third-party add-ons for it that do access illegal content. There are also many legal add-ons...

Were not talking about jailbreaking a FireTV stick.

We are talking about services selling live TV and including 1000's of live TV channels from around the globe, all PPV movies and events all pay channels for a low price of $20 a month

These services are popping up all over and are highly illegal.

Most of them do not even use Kodi, they have their own programs, or can be programmed in to a smart tv.

Since Facebook allows ads on these, I do NOT believe the "average person" understands these are pirate services. Heck, there's people out there as old as in their 30's, that simply can't understand that putting up an antenna will bring in FREE tv channels! That flabbergasts me.

I belong to a cordcutters group on Facebook, and I bring it up all the time that these sorts of programmers are pirating the signals. That at least gets to some people, and they can make a more informed decision as to whether they are going to buy it despite that fact.

If more of us join those groups and bring that subject up as much as possible (without being obnoxious about it) it would go a long way in helping to shut them down.

Also IMO, LEGIT providers bring a lot of this on themselves by charging prices far above "what the market will bare".

It's going to come to a head eventually, and the entire market will be broken if legit programmers don't wake up soon.

Old guy mode on.

This whole thing reminds me of the early era of BUD. Look at all this free TV I am stealing. UNTIL it got big enough to be a bother to the content makers, and then CRUSH.

Speaking of Facebook it’s almost comical reading the comments on these services-like do you have this service in such and such town. These folks actually believing or acting dumb. Come on people, something is up when a service with all that they are advertising is 20.00 when a normal cost per month could be in the hundreds, let’s be real people!

Interesting note that dish gets domain name and set top boxes and passwords from set

Speaking of Facebook it’s almost comical reading the comments on these services-like do you have this service in such and such town. These folks actually believing or acting dumb. Come on people, something is up when a service with all that they are advertising is 20.00 when a normal cost per month could be in the hundreds, let’s be real people!

Interesting note that dish gets domain name and set top boxes and passwords from set
Could have been a set up to catch customers

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: charlesrshell
Since Facebook allows ads on these, I do NOT believe the "average person" understands these are pirate services. Heck, there's people out there as old as in their 30's, that simply can't understand that putting up an antenna will bring in FREE tv channels! That flabbergasts me.

I belong to a cordcutters group on Facebook, and I bring it up all the time that these sorts of programmers are pirating the signals. That at least gets to some people, and they can make a more informed decision as to whether they are going to buy it despite that fact.

If more of us join those groups and bring that subject up as much as possible (without being obnoxious about it) it would go a long way in helping to shut them down.

Also IMO, LEGIT providers bring a lot of this on themselves by charging prices far above "what the market will bare".

It's going to come to a head eventually, and the entire market will be broken if legit programmers don't wake up soon.

Your absolutely right.

Also the average consumer younger than 40 years old doesn’t really care if the broadcast is pirated or not. People actually believe the content was supposed to be free to begin with and that the cable companies are over charging then because they can get away with it.

Almost reminds me of the cable “cheater” boxes in the 1980’s. Although it was not as bad as the streaming piracy, nobody really took it seriously.

The only time I can remember when people where worried when Comcast cracked down on people stealing analog cable. They had the news media out showing Comcast seizing everything hooked up to the cable. Big screen Tv’s, DVD Players, game systems all being removed from homes.

The FTA piracy on Dish nobody took seriously either, which was not bad as it is today with the illegal streaming.

Reactions: pattykay
What I've been keeping my eye on is the streaming services on the Fire Sticks that allows viewers to watch movies that are newly released in the cinemas. One of my brother-in-laws and a few of friends brag about this when tell me that I was a fool for going with Roku. When they showed me this, I knew right away that couldn't be legal.

Yet, that goes uncontested. But my roku's unlisted channels that stream the BBC and iTV get yanked constantly. Damn Brit Box.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)