Set up wireless internet to DISH RECEIVER

ROBERTPEP

Original poster
Dec 10, 2006
I am trying to connect my new Dish Network Receivers to my home broadband network. My ethernet is too far away and will not reach them without created a mess of cables. I already have a wireless network at home.

What is the best way to connect the receiver to the wireless network? Should I just buy a USB wireless adapter and plug it in? Will that work? Thanks.

I use a Linksys WET54GS5 wireless-to-wired bridge with my ViP 622. Works great. It has 5 wired ethernet ports on it so you can plug in other stuff too. This particular one may not be available anymore but there is probably a similar one that replaced it.

Some USB adapters work.. but instead of just guessing since I haven't seen an official list I'd suggest just pick up a wireless bridge or a router than can load DDWRT on it and use it as a bridge. Cheap way for a wireless bridge with 4 ethernet ports.

Reactions: TomD
I agree. Get a WRT54G off Ebay or anywhere else. Upgrade to third party firmware (I used DD-WRT, just google).
I picked up a WRT54G v6. Downloaded the free firmware and instructions to upgrade. Set up the router as a client bridge (also repeater bridge is an option to extend wireless to any area of house).
Put the router by my entertainment center. Hooked an ethernet cable to a LAN input and other end to the Dish 722K receiver. Went to Network setup and reset ip. Bingo, receiver is online.
The great thing about this setup is I have three more LAN inputs for other internet devices (Roku, HDTV, DVD player, Wii, Xbox or the like).
If you set the router up as a repeater bridge then it can also be a wireless access point.

My WAP-B/G was zapped recently and was replaced by a Trendnet 642 N Wireless Gaming Adapter.

Wireless Access Point was a pain in the butt to set up and it was quirky. It would loose signal all the time.

After updating firmware the gaming adapter was a breeze to set up. Set it up in B/G/N mode. It has a rock solid connection with a 300 mbs Router. If it gets zapped, it will be replaced with another gaming adapter.

Should add, my network is super secure. Dedicated IP addresses. MAC Filtering. Do not broadcast SSID. WPA2.

Last edited:
I agree. Get a WRT54G off Ebay or anywhere else. Upgrade to third party firmware (I used DD-WRT, just google).
I picked up a WRT54G v6. Downloaded the free firmware and instructions to upgrade. Set up the router as a client bridge (also repeater bridge is an option to extend wireless to any area of house).
Put the router by my entertainment center. Hooked an ethernet cable to a LAN input and other end to the Dish 722K receiver. Went to Network setup and reset ip. Bingo, receiver is online.
The great thing about this setup is I have three more LAN inputs for other internet devices (Roku, HDTV, DVD player, Wii, Xbox or the like).
If you set the router up as a repeater bridge then it can also be a wireless access point.

This exactly what I did, and it works great.

There's no an official supported list yet.
Dish will be using Netgear 802.11n USB wireless adapters.
722(&k)/622/222k are all supported currently.
They aren't selling them yet but they're providing them in new installations if the supply and demand is there.

I agree. Get a WRT54G ...
Linksys also continues to sell this particular modem new as WRT54GL with warranty. Even they realized the potential sales to people who wanted to use WRT-DD and quietly re-released the original version under this model number. It's not likely you will find it in the local big box store, but it can often found on-line at pretty good discount. Once setup this way, it works fine as a wireless bridge for my second receiver.

If you purchase an older WRT54G off ebay make sure that it is Version 4 or earlier.

I just bought a netgear wnda3100 and when I plug it in the front usb port it says that I have installed an unsupported device. I have a hard drive plugged into the back port on the 622 and the present software is l629. How do I get it to work?

JC

I have a couple of BUFFALO WHR-HP-G54 routers, which in my opinion are much more capable than similar Linksys offerings (and if you keep an eye on NewEgg they can often be found cheap.)

I have them in a wireless bridge mode via DD-WRT. One receives the incoming braodband connection and the other is in my entertainment cabinet. From the second router, I have ethernet running to my Dish receiver, Onkyo AVR, bluray player and my television with a couple of extra ports free for a Google TV box or whatever gadget comes along that I need to network.

Not only that, but I get improved wireless range on that side of my house being the second router repeats the signal from the primary router.

Win-win.

DRayFin said:
I used a Netgear WNDA3100 Version 2 usb adapter I got off ebay for $22, works great.

I just received the WBDA3100 adapter today and I am trying to get my Vip622 to see the device and it will not connect to the receiver. What do I need to do to get this to work. The wireless section on the Broadband setup is grayed out even when I put the device in. Any suggestions on how to get this to work or will my receiver not be able to use this wireless device???

johnch said:
I just bought a netgear wnda3100 and when I plug it in the front usb port it says that I have installed an unsupported device. I have a hard drive plugged into the back port on the 622 and the present software is l629. How do I get it to work?

JC

That is the problem I am running in to. I just got off the phone with Dish and the tech done some research and told me that this adapter will work for the Vip622 receiver. But before I got off the phone she came back on after doing more research on this issue and told me that I can not use a USB adapter and that I would have to use Ethernet cable. So why tell me that the receivers support this adapter and then tell me that I can not use it and it will not work. I hate all the run-a-round you get with these companies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)