Set up wireless internet to DISH RECEIVER

This exactly what I did, and it works great.
I have had my New Linksys WRT54G with dd-wrt preloaded (from ebay). Functions O.K., but I have been pulling out hairs to get the thing to connect to the internet. I have been following dd-wrt instructions to setup a bridge or router. Even found a U-tube video to follow. I my using my home wireless and home I.P. address, working hard to follow instructions to get finished....but have yet to get to the internet up to connect to my Dish receiver.

CAN ANYONE offer any kind of help. I know some you just give little short answers, but I have spent 3 days doing work around to get this network on my Dish. No luck. HELP?:rant:

I don't think that Dish has officiallly said which USB adapters will work, but a few have posted that the Netgear WNDA3100 Version 2 works. I am not sure about the version 1. You have to be careful about the version numbers because sometimes a different version of the USB adapter will use a completely different chip set internally (even though it is the same part number). Also, Dish has said that they will be offering a USB adapter for sale sometime soon.

Every thing is going to be available SOON. New equipment will be out SOON. You will have this feature on your receivers SOON. You will be able to upgrade your Dish equipment SOON. May be I will pay my bill SOON. Dish keeps telling me that I can upgrade my equipment SOON. It is just not available yet, but it will be SOON. I am trying to upgrade 2 of my Vip622 which I have had almost ever since they came out to the Vip722K so I can get extra recording space and record 4 shows at one time if I want. I want to put my receivers on wireless Internet via USB adapter but I can not seem to get it to work or Dish has that feature disabled on my equipment right now. Not sure why?? But I guess I will have to wait and it will be available like always SOON. SOON, SOON, SOON. Every thing is always SOON.

Every thing is going to be available SOON. New equipment will be out SOON. You will have this feature on your receivers SOON. You will be able to upgrade your Dish equipment SOON. May be I will pay my bill SOON. Dish keeps telling me that I can upgrade my equipment SOON. It is just not available yet, but it will be SOON. I am trying to upgrade 2 of my Vip622 which I have had almost ever since they came out to the Vip722K so I can get extra recording space and record 4 shows at one time if I want. I want to put my receivers on wireless Internet via USB adapter but I can not seem to get it to work or Dish has that feature disabled on my equipment right now. Not sure why?? But I guess I will have to wait and it will be available like always SOON. SOON, SOON, SOON. Every thing is always SOON.

Why does this make me want to say :

MARSHA! MARSHA! MARSHA!:p

I ran into this same issue last week. I contacted Dish, and they said they wont support the USB wireless adapter until after 9/29/10. I also asked if I can use ANY USB wireless adapter to which they replied "we can only support the one we will be offering."

So, soon might equal tomorrow 9/29/10.

I want! I want! I want!
I used to think that wireless was the rats ass, imagine, no wires! Eventually came to the conclusion that If it was going to work anytime SOON, then it would need wires. Hmm, go figger.
While we're at it, could we have wireless sent right from the dish itself? Get rid of all those messy rg6 cables all over the place? Why you ask? Because we WANT it, SOONer than later.

jonesy99 said:
I want! I want! I want!
I used to think that wireless was the rats ass, imagine, no wires! Eventually came to the conclusion that If it was going to work anytime SOON, then it would need wires. Hmm, go figger.
While we're at it, could we have wireless sent right from the dish itself? Get rid of all those messy rg6 cables all over the place? Why you ask? Because we WANT it, SOONer than later.

I could not agree with you more. Because we want it. NOW. NOW NOW

I used a Netgear WNDA3100 Version 2 usb adapter I got off ebay for $22, works great.

I just bought a netgear wnda3100 and when I plug it in the front usb port it says that I have installed an unsupported device. I have a hard drive plugged into the back port on the 622 and the present software is l629. How do I get it to work?

JC

I just received the WBDA3100 adapter today and I am trying to get my Vip622 to see the device and it will not connect to the receiver. What do I need to do to get this to work. The wireless section on the Broadband setup is grayed out even when I put the device in. Any suggestions on how to get this to work or will my receiver not be able to use this wireless device???

That is the problem I am running in to. I just got off the phone with Dish and the tech done some research and told me that this adapter will work for the Vip622 receiver. But before I got off the phone she came back on after doing more research on this issue and told me that I can not use a USB adapter and that I would have to use Ethernet cable. So why tell me that the receivers support this adapter and then tell me that I can not use it and it will not work. I hate all the run-a-round you get with these companies.

I don't think that Dish has officiallly said which USB adapters will work, but a few have posted that the Netgear WNDA3100 Version 2 works. I am not sure about the version 1. You have to be careful about the version numbers because sometimes a different version of the USB adapter will use a completely different chip set internally (even though it is the same part number). Also, Dish has said that they will be offering a USB adapter for sale sometime soon.

Well ... you can add me to the list of WNDA3100 Version 2 folks that ... WORKS! :D

Plugged it in ... entered my SSID and password ... using 5GHz even ...

Downloaded a free HD program as a test ...

Went to my account on Dish network's web site ... accessed my 722 ... played some stuff ... viewed all of my recordings ... scheduled a few things.

For $20 (plus $2 shipping) at NewEgg ... works great here!

I've wasted about an hour screwing with two wireless adapters this morning....tried to chat with tech support but that failed. Typical Dish rollout.
You're having problems with wireless adapters and you blame Dish? lol :rolleyes:

Dish does lots of things wrong - and lots right. But this sounds like your problem. ;)

I've wasted about an hour screwing with two wireless adapters this morning....tried to chat with tech support but that failed. Typical Dish rollout.
Wireless networks are not the easiest thing to set up if you do not do it regularly. Some router/AP support Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) were you press a couple of buttons and they set themselves up. If not, expect to spend some time testing out different configurations.

Received an email yesterday for a 48 hour sale on Trendnet 647 Wireless Gaming Adapters for $29 - free delivery. After flashing firmware update, it took less than 15 to set up. Its set up software has a "available networks" feature that lists every available b/g/n network. After picking one it pretty much set itself up.

If you ask me, $30 bucks is cheap compared with 1-3 hours to set one up ad hoc.

Google can find the sale.

Wrong.....The website has clear instructions. rolleyes yourself imbecile.
The "clear" instructions that Dish provides leaves them open to your blame? lol :rolleyes:

With clear instructions available and you can't set up the adapter, I'd re-examine who the imbecile is. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I use my 802.11n Apple airport express w/ itunes. Set it up to join my wireless network. Cat 5 cable from the airport express to my 722. Works perfectly.

I believe that works well if your main router is an Airport Extreme base station that has the WDS natively, or a router that supports WDS (such as DD-WRT).

Miner
I have a Dlink DIR-655. Doesn't support bridge mode. ( WDS ) My AE is just another wireless device on my network. Not used to extend my wireless network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts