SetEdit (please read)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

techno935

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 27, 2006
Pompano Beach, FL
I'm researching new (well not new, but newly discovered) software that could be useful in editing the CS 8100/8000 channel list. Wish me luck. Dare to try if you want.

hxxp://www.setedit.de/startup_d.html

I picked the English install and edit it as a Homecast STB. My channel list file became corrupt and I'm trying to repair it. Either that or I gotta re-scan EVERYTHING back into the receiver.

Talk about coincidences, I was playing with setedit this morning. Someone sent me a vantage channel list and I was trying setedit to see if it would handle the .si extension. No luck yet.

Channel list request

Could I get some channel lists from everyone who owns a CS 8100? (or an 8000?)

I'm having editing issues with mine and I'm not really in the mood to re-scan everything. If it's too much trouble, no worries.

I've been meaning to investigate this, and prove it one way or the other, but from what I've seen of the behavior of the 8100 before and after the newest versions of firmware, I think that it is very likely that the format of the channel data file has probably changed. In other words, I would guess that perhaps any program written for the 8000/8100 might work on the older firmware but not newer, or visa/versa.
This is just a guess on my part at this point, but having looked at the data stored by the Coolsat in the older firmware versions, I'm convinced that the previous channel data file just doesn't have the info required to do what the current firmware apparently does with the channel data (based on what I've seen posted). If I remember correctly, I think that the old channel data only had transponder info for favorites and stored channels, but the new version I think retains transponder info for all sats.

But I may be wrong, since I haven't really looked at it closely since the new firmware came out. Anyway, I think I'm going to wait until I'm sure that the data file format is stable before messing much with channel data.
Actually, perhaps one way to do this is to feed a newly created data file and an older data file into this new program, to see if it parses them the same.

Would I be a huge dumb*** if I loaded the Homecast firmware into my 8100 for stability purposes???

Seriously. I have the Homecast editor that loves to corrupt the Coolsat channel list. Maybe if I convert the SW to Homecast, maybe it won't misbehave so much. Open to input.

techno-only if you're sure they are the same internally. You know the risks of killing the box, or killing it and being able to reload the right firmware. If I had a box that does S2 I don't think I'd try it, but that's just my .02.

the homecast and coolsat co-exist on a list of clones. Yes, it's a risk, but I'm not sure if anyone has taken that yet.

The way I figure it, is if I successfully convert it a Homecast STB, then I can use the Homecast editor and not worry about corrupting the channel list when I re-load.

Hence, no channel editor for the Coolsat 8000 or 8100.

the homecast and coolsat co-exist on a list of clones. Yes, it's a risk, but I'm not sure if anyone has taken that yet.

The way I figure it, is if I successfully convert it a Homecast STB, then I can use the Homecast editor and not worry about corrupting the channel list when I re-load.

Hence, no channel editor for the Coolsat 8000 or 8100.

Have you tried the Clarke Tech or Technomate editors? I've been told they are basically Coolsat receivers. I have no idea if they would work, but it might be worth looking at.

It might be possible to flash the Homecast firmware as long as the normal Coolsat loader will accept the file. You should be able to recover via serial port. Powering up the receiver with the PC loader software running should interrupt the boot and allow a "clean" file and then factory file to be loaded. I have never tried flashing the wrong file in, other than the "clean" file itself.

Worst case you would need to JTAG the board to restore the factory firmware. I don't know that it is worth the risk. It might just make your Coolsat 8100 experience even worse. :rolleyes:

Setedit corrupts Visionsat files too... I thought I could use it to replace the Visionsat's broken channel editor, but it is very buggy. I'm currently using the K-Box editor, which works, but won't add satellites.

I have a question for anyone who actually uses the channel data file of the 8000/8100 for recovery ( I haven't even bothered trying, because I was convinced that it wouldn't work).

Prior to the newest firmware versions, there was no transponder data for satellites stored in the channel data file, so that if you've created new satellites, edited the transponders in an existing satellite, or changed the LO freqs, etc, etc, then that data would be lost if you reset to factory and try to recover your channels. The actual channel parameters would be saved, but they usually wouldn't be associated with a satellite, since usually I had either created a new channel or used one which wasn't on the list of 31, and after a channel recovery, the list of 31 reverts to it's default.

With the new firmware, there is no list of 31, and there have been posts from people who have stated that they could now recover channels via the channel data file, so I was hoping that Coolsat had changed the format of the channel data file significantly. Yesterday, however, I took a look at the format, and it doesn't look to me like the format has changed much. This makes me very doubtful that the channel data file is really capable of functioning with a channel editor program in a way that most of us expect a channel editor to function.

Basically, I have MANY questions, but I'm going to ask just a couple here now. Question is, IF you have edited the transponders of any satellite, when you reset to factory conditions and restore via the channel data file, does it go back to the default transponders again, or are your edited changes recovered? Also, if you have inserted DiseQc or 22KHz switch parameters for a satellite, are those parameters recovered when you restore via the channel data file?? Also, if you have edited satellite parameters, but not scanned any channels in from that satellite, are the sat parameters recovered?

Basically, it just doesn't seem like the channel data file has enough info in it to possibly recover all the important satellite info. Prior to the new firmware, the 8100 had a very strange way of using satellite data, such as switches, etc. What it would do, was when you'd scan in channels, all the switch info, and such was stored in the channel info, so that if say you scan in all the channels on a satellite, then change the position of your LNB on the DiseqC switch (such as if the switch stops working on position 2 and you have to move that lnb to position 3), then even after you change the satellite parameters to match the change you've made, NONE of your channels would work. You'd have to scan in ALL the channels again, and you would now have duplicate channels, half of which do not work. Most receivers I've used save LO freqs, switch settings and the like in the satellite data, and the channel data only refers to the satellite, whereas the 8100 seems to require saving all of these parameters for each channel, not just for the satellite.... this WAS really strange, and if it's still the case with the new firmware, it is more than strange, it could become a real annoyance, since with this new firmware, you risk wiping out everything if you ever delete channels. Anyway, I could do this myself with a bit of work, but I just thought I'd ask first to see what other people have experienced with the new firmware. I was about to try to make a concerted effort to figure out where various parameters are stored in the channel data file, but if the file is completely worthless, which I think is a real possibility, then I won't bother even trying.
When I looked at the file yesterday, it seems like there are 5 sections to the very small channel data files, The first section, I don't have a clue yet, relative to what's in it. The second section seems to list the various satellites you have actually saved channels from(including DTV for OTA). About the only thing in this section is the satellite name, and the sat's longitude. Following this section is another section that I haven't figured out yet. I'm guessing that it has some satellite parameters, but I"m not sure. Following this, is a section containing data on the channels you've saved, and it's not obvious how or if this data is related to the satellite list. Following the channel data, is a list of FAVORITES.
Nowhere in the channel data file is ANY information on satellites that you have not used, and I don't see any indication that there are any transponder lists even for satellites that you have used, ie so if anyone is hoping to use a channel editor to create some of the sats that are missing, and in the wrong orbital slot, then this isn't going to happen. So I am very dubious that the channel data file can EVER function with a channel editor program, at least in the way that we would want it to function.
Just curious what other user's experiences with saved channel data.

IF you have edited the transponders of any satellite, when you reset to factory conditions and restore via the channel data file, does it go back to the default transponders again, or are your edited changes recovered?

Also, if you have inserted Diseqc or 22KHz switch parameters for a satellite, are those parameters recovered when you restore via the channel data file??

Not sure. Never had a successful recovery. I've always had to re-enter most of the info. Your luck may vary. I could be wrong.

Also, if you have edited satellite parameters, but not scanned any channels in from that satellite, are the sat parameters recovered?

Not quite sure, again, no successful recovery on my end.

Basically, it just doesn't seem like the channel data file has enough info in it to possibly recover all the important satellite info. Prior to the new firmware, the 8100 had a very strange way of using satellite data, such as switches, etc. What it would do, was when you'd scan in channels, all the switch info, and such was stored in the channel info, so that if say you scan in all the channels on a satellite, then change the position of your LNB on the DiseqC switch (such as if the switch stops working on position 2 and you have to move that lnb to position 3), then even after you change the satellite parameters to match the change you've made, NONE of your channels would work. You'd have to scan in ALL the channels again, and you would now have duplicate channels, half of which do not work. Most receivers I've used save LO freqs, switch settings and the like in the satellite data, and the channel data only refers to the satellite, whereas the 8100 seems to require saving all of these parameters for each channel, not just for the satellite.... this WAS really strange, and if it's still the case with the new firmware, it is more than strange, it could become a real annoyance, since with this new firmware, you risk wiping out everything if you ever delete channels. Anyway, I could do this myself with a bit of work, but I just thought I'd ask first to see what other people have experienced with the new firmware. I was about to try to make a concerted effort to figure out where various parameters are stored in the channel data file, but if the file is completely worthless, which I think is a real possibility, then I won't bother even trying.

Did I mention I still can't deal with this thing? I'm getting ready to convert it to a Homecast!!!

When I looked at the file yesterday, it seems like there are 5 sections to the very small channel data files, The first section, I don't have a clue yet, relative to what's in it. The second section seems to list the various satellites you have actually saved channels from(including DTV for OTA). About the only thing in this section is the satellite name, and the sat's longitude. Following this section is another section that I haven't figured out yet. I'm guessing that it has some satellite parameters, but I"m not sure. Following this, is a section containing data on the channels you've saved, and it's not obvious how or if this data is related to the satellite list. Following the channel data, is a list of FAVORITES.

Nowhere in the channel data file is ANY information on satellites that you have not used, and I don't see any indication that there are any transponder lists even for satellites that you have used, ie so if anyone is hoping to use a channel editor to create some of the sats that are missing, and in the wrong orbital slot, then this isn't going to happen. So I am very dubious that the channel data file can EVER function with a channel editor program, at least in the way that we would want it to function.
Just curious what other user's experiences with saved channel data.

BTW, when you edit channel names WITHIN the receiver via remote, there goes your file. It becomes...you guessed it...corrupt.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts