SetEdit (please read)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I looked at the Homecast Firmware in a Hex Editor.
The first Thousand or so lines are the same.
But the Homecast Firm is about 1 Meg larger, not a good sign for Converting, but you never know.
Does the Coolsat 8100 have an ATSC Tuner?

If you are serious about trying to convert, I will look into it a little more. But Googling did not return favorable info.

Techno-
Do you have the proper Serial Cable to attempt, if things did not work, you would probably have to reload via Serial.

I looked at the Homecast Firmware in a Hex Editor.
The first Thousand or so lines are the same.
But the Homecast Firm is about 1 Meg larger, not a good sign for Converting, but you never know.
Does the Coolsat 8100 have an ATSC Tuner?

The model id in the firmware needs to be changed to match the Coolsat and the checksum recalculated. The ATSC tuner would not work any longer since the Homecast firmware wouldn't have support for it.

The larger size might be due to graphic differences, more languages, different CAMs.

The model id in the firmware needs to be changed to match the Coolsat and the checksum recalculated.

I was hoping it would be as easy as the Diamond, just replace the header.

The ATSC tuner would not work any longer since the Homecast firmware wouldn't have support for it.
The same with the Diamond. The "donor" Firm only supported DVB-T

The larger size might be due to graphic differences, more languages, different CAMs.
Or a better Channel Manager!?!

I was hoping it would be as easy as the Diamond, just replace the header.

It might work, but I read that the length of the firmware has to be updated. I guess it depends on how much checking the loader does. Right now it just says model mismatch. I'm guessing the header swap would solve that, but the checksum issue concerned me. I guess I should just try it! :)

Do you know where the Checksum is?

Only thing I found so far is that the end of the first 2 line are the same and have to do with file length. They seem to point to the same place, 12 "full" lines from the end of the file.

Sorry for the "Technical Terms" I don't have a clue. :)

I have a hex editor but I'm not a programmer. Go figure. I guess someone may try it one day.

Yes, I have a serial cable and I successfully figured out the "clean SW" flash BIN and the re-load. So...if worse comes to worse, I could always re-load.

Yes, the ATSC tuner will become un-workable which is fine with me. I can live without it. That's the least of my worries.

This is the supposed list of clones that are related to the 8100 HD

1. Homecast HS-5101
2. Ferguson HF-8800HD
3. OPTICUM 7700HD
4. OPENSAT 9000 HDCI
5. Coolsat 8000 HD
6. Hivion HDTV (Homecast GbSAT)
7. VIZYON VZ-8100HD
8. Jepssen PVR-S2 HD
9. FERGUSON HF-8900HD
10.Hivion HD9090X Ultima
11.Coolsat 8100 HD PVR

Have yet to research a few. I checked in on Hivion and all I find is hackware. No legit firmware easily available without trying to track down the company's website in English. (which is a pain)

Last edited:
Do you know where the Checksum is?

It is in the first line I believe, based on the clean file's contents and the differences between the two factory versions I have.

Only thing I found so far is that the end of the first 2 line are the same and have to do with file length. They seem to point to the same place, 12 "full" lines from the end of the file.
That appears to be the length of the file, minus 192 bytes of header. The version and model number are on the 2nd line.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts