Apprentice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Wichita Kansas
Re: CS4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apprentice
Hey can I bug you for a min? I am not sure how to set the CS4000 to say the pentagon channel TP so I can AIM this Dish. Sorry to IM u direct my boy is about to kill me cause I am making him help me lol.

I am using the eagle aspen 270 KU with one RG6 attached directly to the CS4000.

One other stupid question. on the 75E dish it was set at 90 on the skew so would I move it 7.3 degrees from there clockwise to get the proper skew for AMC1?

to set a transponder on the 4000

menu
installation...scroll over to manual scan
red button to select satellite
green button to add TP
enter info (12100 V 20000)
press exit (it will ask if you want to save, say yes)
then you should be able to view that TP when you scroll through the transponders on manual scan

103W has a goofy skew. Its actually 25 degrees opposite what it says. So if it shows 7.3 then you would go to 18 counterclockwise for optimum signal. Pentagon will come in if you skew it like the charts show (7 skew) but the signal will JUMP when you skew it properly

Iceberg was kind enough to help me out on the above. But rather than bugging Iceberg all night thought I would post it out here and it might help some other newbies like me also.

So when following the above instructions. Are the charts and the Sat Calc on the forum here. Does this mean counterclockwise standing and looking at the dish from the front. Or from the back looking out at the satellite arc?

Are the charts and the Sat Calc on the forum here. Does this mean counterclockwise standing and looking at the dish from the front. Or from the back looking out at the satellite arc?

If you are talking about TheList: "LNB Skew (Looking towards the dish): Positive: (Left) Negative: (Right) ".

If you are facing the dish in front of it, qwert explained it the best

here is a visual.....The LNB is skewed for 123W which for me in MN is counterclockwise (left)

the key thing though is (as noted in the PM) AMC1 where Pentagon is located has an oddball skew. So you actually would turn it about 18 degrees to the RIGHT (even though thelist says left)

Attachments

• 000_0284.jpg
    000_0284.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 196
Here is a great look of how goofy a LNB can be for AMC1 skew

This was on old setup I had for 89/93/97/103
89 on left
93 next, then 97 then 103

93 is my true south so really all LNB's are within 5 or so skew.....look at the far right LNB skew compared to the other...technically it should be going the other way (the coax should be to the right)

This is only on 103 that you have this issue

Attachments

• 000_0420.jpg
    000_0420.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 226
Ok got that now and I have done a bunch of reading to try to make sure how to setup the LNB in the CS4000. Has to be set to standard from what I can tell since it is a dual output and each port is 13/18 volt switched.

Now one more silly question lol well for now anyway. The eagle aspen 270 looks like it is not set to 0 degree skew from the seller. is that likely or am i looking at it wrong. Tomorrow evening if I can not figure it out. I will take some pics so you can see it. I am thinking if it is not setup right then skewing the dish is not going to help?

Thanks for the help. Key here seems to be read ask and have some patience

setup for the LNB is
SINGLE
LNB freq 10750

can the whole dish be skewed or just the LNB can be? You should be able to get something since 103 is somewhat close to your true south satellite

you mention a 75e dish but googling the LNB it looks like a old Primestar LNB...there are 4 little screws where the skew is (where the LNB connects to the feedhorn). Loosen those just a little but and you should be able to line up the notch to 0 (or whatever the skew is suppose to be)

I can move the whole dish and that was what I was planning on doing. As I have seen in other post I took it that was best as to get the whole dish on the plane that the Sat is transmitting on. But when looking at the LNB it looked like it was skewed already and would need to be set to 0 to be able to skew the dish properly.

I took out two of the screws last night and I will have to take the LNB off the feed horn to adjust it :( oh well what ever works I would think.

I would have to pick an odd sat to start playing with lol.

Got it figured out. Iceberg was right as usual just loosen the four screws and set the skew as needed. I set it back to zero and moved the dish. Works great on AMC1 now. Have no idea why it came from the dealer set at 60 on the skew. sure had me confused for a bit. Guess it is all a learning curve. More I run into issues the more I learn. Got two sats setup on the DP34 switch that was already in the house.

One other question. If AMC1 is really 18 degress on skew why not reflet that in the list rather than the 7 degrees that everyone shows?

chuck

One other question. If AMC1 is really 18 degress on skew why not reflet that in the list rather than the 7 degrees that everyone shows?

good thought...I think right now its all generated via the computer

and I was wrong...its actually 26 degrees CCW per the SES site
SES WORLD SKIES - Satellite Data

Polarization Offset 26.0° CCW (viewed from the earth)

whereas the rest dont say that :)

Maybe that is something that qwert can change on thelist

I think the next challenge will have to be setting up a motor. Should be fun on the heavy dish. But since there is lots of info on the site about it. I think it should be fun to try.

Wonder how many dish I can put up before the wife starts at yelling me lol. If you have a motorized dish how do you keep several recievers from turning it?

Chuck

Only one actually turns the motor. The rest are "slaved"

If you have a dual LNB setup you can have 2 receivers off one motorized setup

LNB output 1-----motor------------------------receiver 1
LNB output 2------------------------------------receiver 2

I kind of wondered if it would work that way. So they say in another room would be able to get the channels on the fixed dishes at anytime but would have to deal with what ever Satellite I was on if it was not where they would like it to be. In order to have two motorized dishes you would have to more or less have to different complete setups. would it be possible to keep the fixed dishes viewable on the two seperate systems? I will have to think about that one for a bit.

yes you can. That is what I have.

I have 2 motorized setups. I also have 2 receivers that can view fixed dish systems or a feed from the motorized. See attached (crude) pic.

The azbox can view either G16 C-Band, 105 KU Band or a feed from either motorized. So if there is a HD college football game on say 105W I can still be scanning other sats with the Coolsat 5000 and the motorized setup. The 2nd motorized is in the computer room :)

The one motorized has both a KU & DBS LNB on it (hence the switch at the top of the page)

edit: for the longest time I had a fixed dish at 123W (when Equity had the stations going) and a couple receivers always had access to those regardless of where the motorized was. i use to have a fixed dish setup for the computer room but that limited me. Got a 2nd motorized setup instead ;)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 201
Thanks so much that gives me something to chew on. I copied and pasted the pic and message to a pdf so I won't lose it lol. I seem to read lots of things here that peak my interest then I forget where I saw it.

This type of setup would make the older kids and myself happier lol

chuck

I spoke to qwert1515 (who runs thelist) and he has changed it now with the 26 degree offset

Here is what mine shows now (Minneapolis, MN)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 161
...In order to have two motorized dishes you would have to more or less have to different complete setups.
would it be possible to keep the fixed dishes viewable on the two seperate systems?
While not specifically discussed, it's implied in the Switch FAQ.
Remember, it's for beginners with rudimentary systems, and you're not exactly discussing a simple hookup.

For multiple dishes and multiple receivers, you might want to read the entire thread.
Then, the simple trick is to put your motor between one receiver and the appropriate switch network.
That gives you local control, but all the LNBs are available to all receivers.
If you want a second motorized dish, you put that motor between its receiver and where it hooks to the switch network.

See Multiswitch Examples, for guidance, and only build as much of that design as you need.
Remember, all LNBs will need dual outputs.

Thanks Anole I will review the thread again. I would hate to do anything to simple in life lol.

Thanks qwert1515 just seemed to make sence to me to have it what it really is since there is a fairly large difference than what is shown typically on like dish pointer. I have started using the list for information rather than other sites.

Guess I will have to use the LNB that I found the other day in the junk pile to update the 119 dish for ION and Nasa. I found a Eagle Aspen circular in the junk pile the other day and it has dual outputs. It is amazing what the installers throw away when they are doing new installs. Also found another Zenwell switch however this one is powered and I have not been able to find much on the net about it yet. So not sure if it is worth keeping or not. Oh well added it to my pile of things that might be useful one day :)

Guess I will have to use the LNB that I found the other day in the junk pile to update the 119 dish for ION and Nasa. I found a Eagle Aspen circular in the junk pile the other day and it has dual outputs. It is amazing what the installers throw away when they are doing new installs.
yep. Seen many LNB's and dishes laying on the curb after a new upgrade. Use to have a bunch of DBS LNB's but got rid of them. Really didnt need like 40 DBS LNB's ;)

Also found another Zenwell switch however this one is powered and I have not been able to find much on the net about it yet. So not sure if it is worth keeping or not. Oh well added it to my pile of things that might be useful one day :)

Like this?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/satelliteguys-classifieds/184679-zimwell-4x8-multiswitch-brand-new.html

If so its a 4x8 multiswitch but in essence it a 2x8 switch
2 LNB's in
8 outputs

allows you to hook 2 LNB's up to 8 receivers. I use to have something like that when 123W had a bunch of channels. Had 99 C-Band and 123 KU Band hooked into a 4x8 multisiwtch and ran that to 4 receivers for the networks and the Eqtuity channels

That would be it. However no power supply with it. But I get the guy has it guess I should ask him. I have found several liner LNB's also. Not sure if they are pulling out FTA setup and install DN also or what. He saves the off the wall stuff for me now lol and I look at it before tossing it to the pile. If I don't know what it is I take it and look it up then trash it if I don't think it is useful. Before long I will have to have a post showing what I have and a free for all if shipping paid lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)