Setting up a 10 foot dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rdrjoe

Original poster
May 12, 2010
O.C.
I have a 10' motorized dish & old analog receiver that I have left sitting since the digital signal took over. What will it take to get back in the game & is it worth it? Are satellites like the ones that show local games still free? The ones going to the local affiliates?

Thanks

Introduction

Hello!

I once installed & repaired the big dish systems, worked with the on the VC & IIs to grab signals, gave it p after the switch to digital.
I still have the 10' system & would like to watch all the available channels on C Band.
Can someone tell me what I will need? as to receiver, lnb etc.?

Thanks!

Better question

The question I should have asked is- will I need to realign & reset the angle of the dish & change all the settings? I am sure I will, just asking.

Thanks again!

don't know why nobody answered you

As for the dish. There is still a few analog feeds up there. No I don't know were they are at. IF you still have a analog receiver you can catch one of those to make sure the dish is okay. As for the digital. You need a fta receiver like a cool sat 5000. Something with blind scan it good. If you do not have a analog receiver you can get a Gbox or vbox to control the large dish. But there is several instructions on keeping you analog receiver connected to position the dish and then split over to the fta receiver. Something like if you have a ku and c band feed horn. Then you have the two wires going to the recieiver. You get two splitters. One for each wire with dc only going into one port. IF both receivers was to go into the lnb with. Thn it would fry it. Plus the older lnb required more power. You will also need a discq swith. THis combines the ku/c into port 1 and 2 that is controlled on the setup in the fta receiver. If you search you can find a diagram that explain how to connect a fta receiver to a analog system without much trouble.

Josh

lots of sports on the big dish and other stuff.
well worth it. put up 4 in the past year in the backyard.
you know big dishes is a plus. get it lubed up and try to get the channels on g-4 16 & 17 and g-1 5 arts they are still there and a few others
then get a little box coolsat 50O0 6000 or better yet a pansat 2500,2700.3500 as they control the v/h for you. that wil give you the hang of it.
but for sports you will need a azbox as they are mostly HD these days and it will pick them all up like no other box.
yes it might need repeaked you will find out how good of a installer you were lol.

let us know the type of feedhorn (Adjustable is best) and lnb you have.
good luck

I have a 10' motorized dish & old analog receiver that I have left sitting since the digital signal took over. What will it take to get back in the game & is it worth it? Are satellites like the ones that show local games still free? The ones going to the local affiliates?

Thanks

Hi rdrjoe and the group, if the big dish and the old analogue receiver are still hooked up and still work you will not need much to get going. The old receiver can control the old servo motor if that's what you have and it can also move the actuator provided it is still free and in working order.

About all you will need to receive digital SD is a newer digital receiver. Get one that has blind scan.

BTW - the old LNB can even be used to receive digital HD and 4:2:2 feeds - just need a HD receiver.

Hope this helps, DC

The question I should have asked is- will I need to realign & reset the angle of the dish & change all the settings? I am sure I will, just asking.

Thanks again!

Hi, if the dish is still at the original location and storm winds have not moved it and it was set up correct to begin with then it may still be on the arc.

The satellite names and locations have changed, you may have some still stored in the old receiver that have the same longitude as the current satellites. If so you should be able to use then to get started. You may have to play around with the polarity to peak the signal.

Hope this helps, DC

Well you may need a satellite receiver, or you might want to try a computer with an HD card, if you are ok with the learning curve on that.

You didn't say what analog receiver you had or what lnb, but you might be able to use them. the receiver slaved to your new satellite receiver, to drive your actuator or motor.

lnbs are cheap and most guys now seem to go for the voltage control lnbs that set polarity electronically instead of mechanically.

I would do it. The hard installation work is done. Start by going out to your dish and then slap a level on the mast. If it is still plumb, so far so good. If your cable is buried, you might have to replace it, because gophers apparently think it is delicious. It's ok to bury it, but the better practice is to run it through a pvc conduit.

I would then spray some penetrating oil on all the bolts and nuts. I'd get some string and run it from edge to edge in a + shape. If the dish is still straight the strings will be straight and meet in the middle.

I'd measure from the edge of the dish to the scalar hole in a few places. If the measurements are exactly the same, you are looking good. If not, well there may be some bending needed.

Good luck.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)