Setting up a 5lnb?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

igator99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 16, 2006
How hard would you rate it to tune it? I've seen the solid signal video. I did the 1LNB and 3LNB without a problem. Is it a major step up? I was planning on using a receiver? Is the Slimline easier than the AT-9?

Personally, I had a hell of a time with the 3LNB. I would get signals in the upper 90's, when I tightened the bolts I would lose the signal. I had two AT9's installed since then, the first tech had a hard time, it took 2+ hours on the dish alone. finally Directv sent out a senior tech who replaced it in 15 minutes. (i also had a tech who originally told me a 5LNB wouldnt work - I think he didnt know how to install it. This was July 06 and I think not too many were experienced.

5 lnb install

For me the 5 lnb is a piece of cake, then again i am using a Birdog to aim, and can lock in a 5 lnb in under 2 minutes. I would not reccomend trying to aim a 5 lnb without any type of decent sat meter such as a birdog or digiisat II. The birdog is nice because you tell it what bird you want to hit, with the Digisat you will need to have the signal meter on the ird on so you can tell if you hit the right dtv bird. Also aim for 101 and peak 119 and 101 alternately.

For me the 5 lnb is a piece of cake, then again i am using a Birdog to aim, and can lock in a 5 lnb in under 2 minutes. I would not reccomend trying to aim a 5 lnb without any type of decent sat meter such as a birdog or digiisat II. The birdog is nice because you tell it what bird you want to hit, with the Digisat you will need to have the signal meter on the ird on so you can tell if you hit the right dtv bird. Also aim for 101 and peak 119 and 101 alternately.

Thanks for the information. I figured I would need a meter this time around. I wonder if a tool rental company would have sat meters. I don't want to spend 200 - 500 for a sat meter. Thanks again for the info.

Super Buddy meter with AT9KaKu or Slimline

That's understandable about not wanting to spend so much if you're not doing installs everyday.

Our company caters to the guys who install several units a day. I have received a lot of compliments from installers using our Super Buddy sat id meter for AT9KaKu / Slimline installs. The Super Buddy allows you to lock on the 101, 110, and 119 birds and then do your fine tune peaking off of the signal level on the 99 and 103 Ka birds. You just scroll through to the different satellites with one button.

You can read the application note here:
http://www.appliedin.com/downloads/directvat9kaku.pdf

Scott Haywood
Applied Instruments, Inc.
http://www.appliedin.com

Thanks for the information. I figured I would need a meter this time around. I wonder if a tool rental company would have sat meters. I don't want to spend 200 - 500 for a sat meter. Thanks again for the info.

Just get 2 people and cell phones like you did before, hey its worth a shot especially if you have a nice warm day to do it.

I'm a new member who is a retailer and installation/service contractor for DTV. If you want a detailed explanation of installing the dish, throw a post on the thread and I'll try to get a reply posted in the next few days.

As far as the choice between the AT-9 and the Slimline, I suggest the Slimline. The AT-9 has a few more assemby quirks and (if my memory is correct) has two little connectors exposed to the weather. Also, the Slimline's got a much easier to use fine tuning system. For either one I'd recommend ordering a pair of the diagonal braces.

Have you checked with DTV to see what it'd cost to have them do the upgrade? locally, they'll do it for less than I could sell you the hardware for. The only problem then is that you're at thier mercy regarding the quality of the tech they dispatch.

Lance

Have you checked with DTV to see what it'd cost to have them do the upgrade? locally, they'll do it for less than I could sell you the hardware for. The only problem then is that you're at thier mercy regarding the quality of the tech they dispatch.

Lance

That is the biggest problem I've seen with DTV. There is no quality control for their techs. Some of those guys look like they literally picked up of the street. Expect a lot of calls for your installers depending on where you are located and the quality of the D* techs in your area.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts