Setting up a C-band Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I'm tempted to get into C-band with a 6' solid dish. My idea is to get a large bucket, fill it with concrete, and mount a pole inside the concrete. I want to use this to set on my back deck and move it around when I want to so that I can point at different satellites. I have a clear view of everything west of 83W from my deck.

Has anyone tried this idea? If so, does it work well, and how much concrete do I need or what size bucket?

Does anyone receive the Disney Channel on C-band?

I'm tempted to get into C-band with a 6' solid dish. My idea is to get a large bucket, fill it with concrete, and mount a pole inside the concrete. I want to use this to set on my back deck and move it around when I want to so that I can point at different satellites. I have a clear view of everything west of 83W from my deck.

Has anyone tried this idea? If so, does it work well, and how much concrete do I need or what size bucket?

Does anyone receive the Disney Channel on C-band?
In this case a bucket wouldn't cut it . You need something like this. Others with active C-band can chime in about Disney.

No Disney on C-band FTA, refer to the list at the top of the page to see what all you get.

Actually, a 6' dish in a 15mph wind has more horsepower than you. So you would need a bucket of concrete bigger than you can move. So, bad idea. If you want a fixed dish that you can move at times, go for that. Instead of a pole they use an adjustable frame. The frame could be easily secured to the deck, or weight it down with a bunch of sand bags.

The link isn't working.

The link works for me. Anyway, I have attached a picture below. I see FAT Air has provided a different, link but similar product.

Attachments

• FRM125.jpg
    FRM125.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 236
The link works for me. Anyway, I have attached a picture below. I see FAT Air has provided a different, link but similar product.

That can hold a 6' dish? My wife probably wouldn't like that on our deck. How wide is it? Perhaps I could plant a garden in that square shape to make it look nice.

would strongly suggest finding more stable mounting method, a bucket unlikely would hold the weight of a 6' dish and any wind would effect calibration
i would suggest building some type of platform to mount pole to or even the deck itself

I'm considering a dish with a mount like this. I'm not sure, but is this specific mount called a "ground mount"? Sadoun's website isn't clear on that, and if I ordered a dish, I would be interested in one like this.

Iceberg, I saw some pictures of your various dishes you posted on your deck, and this type of dish was shown. You used sandbags to hold the mount down. I was considering that and wondering if it works well.

Attachments

• 277702912_151.jpg
    277702912_151.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 224
Andrew, yes that is what we call a "ground mount". That is how the Fortec 6' dish used to be.

The Sadoun 6 ft dish mounts on a pole (model P76) like this:
P1030006_small.jpg

The surface area of a 6ft dish is quite large. Even if the dish is mesh and not solid any small amount of wind can be quite powerful. A pole with concrete in the ground really is best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)