Setting up a Primestar Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ok and thanks for the help i wont give up hate tp bother you guys any more

here at satelliteguys.us we actually LIKE to help people out. NO bother at all, heres hoping you figure it out.

sam mudface said:
ok and thanks for the help i wont give up hate tp bother you guys any more

no bother here. We always like to help out :)

We're here to help. We were all in the same boat once before :)

Sam,

I hope I didn't confuse the issue or make matters worse for you. Ice and Pete are definitely "World-Class". They are willing to help almost anyone with almost anything FTA related (Notice that I wrote almost anything) We all know what nobody should ever ask about around here if they want to stay. :)

Think of it this way:
Our hobby consists of folks who want to sit around and watch TV! How cool is that! I think half the fun of this hobby is this site in particular. Everyone wants to do everything they can to help you reach that goal of sittin' around watchin' TV. You can't beat that! Even when you suck at helping as much as I do, I still want to see you get through your first setup.

Hang in there! The more you read around here, the more you'll understand and it will make all of your future installs (and there will be more of them, if you get the "multi-dish disease" we all have) more effortless and fun.

Cheers

sam mudface said:
been out working on this prime star dish got level of 90 quality none diseqc 3

Sam dont forget to skew that lnb to the correct polarization. Until I did that, I was getting a 94 sig. and 0-10 quality. For my area I had to set it to +40 on the skew. Unbelievably I locked in almost right away with a 96 sig. and 88 quality with my 39" dish! Good luck!

BTW I only have 1 cable coming from the V side of the LNB to my diseqc switch and when I blind scan, I draw in both verticle AND Horizonal! Dont ask me how, but it does. And I've rescanned several times.

Hey swampman,
I bet when you look at the channel list you will see that you have duplicates. The reciever doesnt know that you only have one polarity hooked up, so it scans the same polarity twice :) Next time you scan, tell the receiver to scan "v" only.

drhydro said:
Hey swampman,
I bet when you look at the channel list you will see that you have duplicates. The reciever doesnt know that you only have one polarity hooked up, so it scans the same polarity twice :) Next time you scan, tell the receiver to scan "v" only.[/QUOTE

Yes you are correct. There are duplicate channels. However, as I do a blind scan it starts scanning the vertical, then begins scanning the horizonal. Once scan is completed, I click info on these channels and it shows half being V and half H. It seems its scanning the H polarities also. I cant figure that out. Any ideas?

You have to tell it within the blind scan screen to scan vertical only. I am not sure how to do that with a coolsat as I dont have one.

drhydro said:
You have to tell it within the blind scan screen to scan vertical only. I am not sure how to do that with a coolsat as I dont have one.
I understand that part... what I dont understand is why it would scan H TPs in the first place when I only have the vertical connected. :confused:

Your receiver sends out one voltage to switch the lnb to the vertical receive mode. Then it scans through ALL the possible Freq. Then the receiver sends out a higher voltager to switch the LNB to Horz. receive mode. Then the receiver scans through ALL the frequencies again.

The signals it received in the vert. scan it records in the receiver as Vert. The signals it received when it rescanned ALL the freq. again in the Horz. mode the receiver lists them in the receiver as Horz.

Since you only had one output of your LNB connected The receiver had no way of knowing that . It just assumed that the signal it sent to the lnb caused it to switch from V to H.

A standard LNB only has one connection and the polarity is swicthed within the LNB.

To switch the polarity of a lnb with H and V output requires an external switch.

Last edited:
OK I think I understand. I did notice on the "h" side there are 2 or 3 more channels. SO what advantage, if any, is there in connecting both H and V?

Last edited:
swampman said:
OK I think I understand. I did notice on the "h" side there are 2 or 3 more channels. SO what advantage, if any, is there in connecting both H and V?

It depends on what satellite you are lookin at. If you park your primestar on G10R like I did most of the tv stations are vertical and there was not anything I wanted to watch on Horz. So I just connected the vertical output.

i never did git g 10r 123 w but have amc4 on primestar dish and found another
prime star dish to try for G10r on got to set up one works and dont yet but it will
i have found 121w and 127w but 123 is hard to find not giveing up

Remember to rotate your LNB. If your primestar dish is like mine, the lnb will have 4 bolts to loosen. Then there is a scale on the lnb ring to set the Skew. Until I set the skew on my LNB I could not pick up anything on G10R.

to the + or - side iam in rushsprings okla. 73082

Last edited:
thanks iceburg your the man if you was here i would give you a jug of home made wine

sam mudface said:
thanks iceburg your the man if you was here i would give you a jug of home made wine

sorry. no drinky :)
(stopped drinking in 1999 by choice, not due to a habit) :)

My Primestar has a scale on the LNB ring. There is a line on the lnb that points to the scale. I think the scale Goes from -40 to 0 to +40. I rotated my LNB while looking at the signal meter on the receiver. Afterwards when I looked at the scale it was right where the satellite aiming program said it should be for the best signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts