Setting up Directv at Cabin in Manitoba

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Disarmingyou

Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
I am a Seattle resident wanting to set up a receiver at my cabin in Manitoba Canada, I have a receiver and dish for up here but I am wondering how I can register it while im up here and if they will allow me to use it. I'm obviously clueless about how this stuff works so any help is much appreciated. I already have a system at my house in Seattle I am just wondering how I get this other receiver registered and working up north.

Thanks for any help!

:welcome to Satelliteguys Disarmingyou!

Are you talking sd or hd? If hd, do you know if it's a swm setup? Where in Manitoba?

KA/KU kaku SATELLITE DISH Antenna SWM5 SWiM 5 SL5s - thats the product description of the satellite I bought. It's about 1.5 hours north west of the the North Dakota border. I am wanting to do HD if possible. My extra receiver is an HR44.

It sounds like you would be a little to far north to receive hd signals. Sd is a possibility. What town in Manitoba?

If you tell them you are in Canada they can't give you service, it is illegal even for you to receive U.S. encrypted signals. (Very different laws in Canada than here) You should be able set it up and use it based on whatever signals you can get. Do you already have the equipment across the border?

the closest town is wasagaming and the closest big town is Brandon. I have equipment up there already my extra receiver and my dish

Looking at the satmaps, you might be able to get the hd channels! You will need to use a swm setup since a Genie needs it to work correctly.

I can tell you that direct works in Brandon MB -both HD &SD
My old home town !
However it may be only SD @ clear lake-as its on edge of HD signal strength
Don
Ps remember that you can't call their 800 # from Canada-Skypes may work

So when I set up my dish I need to use an SWM not a SWIM for the setup ? any helpful links as to everything I will need for setup outside the dish and the receiver! thanks again for all the help!

So when I set up my dish I need to use an SWM not a SWIM for the setup ? any helpful links as to everything I will need for setup outside the dish and the receiver! thanks again for all the help!
SWM and SWiM is the same thing.

As for How ?
Are you able to point the dish and run the wiring and do the set up at the Canada residence ?

Heres what I would do, take the recvr HR44 back to the US, hook it up there, call D* and activate it, them go back up there and set it up from there.

What recvrs do you have at the US address ?
You are aware that the HR44 is a Genie and you can only have 1 per account, I would use the HR44 in the US and take a HR24 for example to Canada.

What are your plans for the HR44 in Canada, you can't hook it up to the internet, therefore it's not in my opinion worth taking THAT recvr to Canada for the difference it offers.

Reactions: Tampa8
I read it to mean that it was the HR44 he would take north, not that he had more than one of them. Either way it's clear now.

No problem with the Slimline dish at this location to get all your HD channels. The HD signal starts falling apart as you move north of 52N latitude. Here in Edmonton (53.3) we get about half of the subscribed HD channels on the Slimline. Starting to see a few more 1.2 meter Alaska/Hawaii dishes to combat that problem.

Activate box at home and then fly, drive, or send the box via mail to your Manitoba addy. Thousands of Canadian snowbirds do the reverse in getting their receivers down to their winter homes to receive Canadian TV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)