Setting up DirecTV. Menu screen is black/white.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PIZ

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Pennsylvania
I am setting up my old directv system myself because I moved. It worked fine before. I would have had Directv set the new one up, but I don't want to subscribe to a package if I don't have to. Right now I only get NFL Sunday Ticket and pay per view. I have everything hooked up, which are both cables connected to the grounding block, and a copper ground to the house's main ground. I tried to find the signal, but didn't have alot of time, but I did notice that the menu (dish pointing) didn't have color to it. My question is, is this normal, to have a black and white menu screen prior to finding a signal, or should the menu be in color even before I find a signal? I have a feeling I'm going to need a new receiver. Either that or maybe something is hooked up wrong, but I don't think it is. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm going nuts here because I'm not going to be able to search for the signal until at least this weekend.

Oh, by the way, I'm a new member.

I have had the same thing happen to some of the lower end Hughes receivers straight out of the box. I have not saw one yet that re-booting (unplugging it from the wall & plugging it back in) a couple times didn't take care of the problem. However you may have to remove the card and re-insert it, but re booting should take care of the problem.

WOW. Really. If it works, you just made my day. This really is a great site. Thanks.

Update

I tried unplugging and re-plugging but it didn't change it. I disconnected the entire thing to no avail. Then I took the card out and turned it on without the card in, and then color appeared. I inserted the card back in and all is well. Thanks for your help everyone.

I would first check your cable ... this just screams bad cable, so try svideo or another composite connection. If not , try another receiver ... that will tell you if you have bad hardware which is more rare, unless you broke the video connector in the move.

justsatellites said:
It needed re-booting..see above. Re-booted then re-inserted the card.
uh yeah ... but no. He alrady said the reboot failed. He as a bad cable or bad receiver.

uh yeah ... but no. He alrady said the reboot failed. He as a bad cable or bad receiver.

He said he removed the card and rebooted, and it worked fine.

Then I took the card out and turned it on without the card in, and then color appeared. I inserted the card back in and all is well

So, uhhh yeah, it works fine, cable is not the cause and the reciever is fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.