Setting up Dish at a new location

gopherwes

Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Mpls
Hi guys, newb here and I apologize as I am very inexperienced when it comes to Dish. So please bear with me if you are able to help me as I am not very familiar with the lingo.

I have had Dish Network at my apartment since September. My family has an ice house (we live in Minnesota). Our question is how difficult/easy it would be to get Dish at the ice house. Is it possible to purchase a dish (which I have seen numorous available on craigslist and such) and just transport our Dish receiver with us when we go up to the ice house on the weekends? There is a mount on the house with a clamp so we are hoping we can put the Dish on a tall pole and be able to clamp it in place. I have heard a lot of people mention LNBs which I am not very familiar with. Again, I apologize because I am not very familiar with the equipment and lingo so input is greatly appreciated but please bear with me. Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can do that. The bigger dishes for HD are harder to aim than the smaller Dish 500 for 110/119. The dish is the pan-shaped reflector that you aim at the satellites. The LNB assembly is the gizmo with one or two or three white covers at the end of the arm aimed backward at the dish.

Depending on what you want to watch, you don't necessarily have to install a big dish. We have a camp up in northern Maine - rustic, no electricity or running water. We were only interested in catching the local channels for news and sports so I installed a small dish 300 aimed at 61.5. We bring our spare VIP211 with us, connect to a car battery with inverter, run "test switch" and are good to go. Upon returning home, we have to run "test switch" again to be able to use the rest of the EA.

Depending on what you want to watch, you don't necessarily have to install a big dish. We have a camp up in northern Maine - rustic, no electricity or running water. We were only interested in catching the local channels for news and sports so I installed a small dish 300 aimed at 61.5. We bring our spare VIP211 with us, connect to a car battery with inverter, run "test switch" and are good to go. Upon returning home, we have to run "test switch" again to be able to use the rest of the EA.
We also will be using a VIP211. We are looking to be able to watch FSN and BTN for sports if possible. It will save us a lot of money and fishing time if we can stay in the house to watch games instead of having to go into the bar. We have a generator so we don't have to worry about inverting. Again, forgive me, but what is "test switch" and "EA"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)