Setting up DSR905 for AMC11 programming

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
you can move the dish to G5 and dial up that on the 905. Its on there as an option (as is G1 so it **should** work)

dont give up yet...but you do have to move the dish somewhere else...since G1 or G5 is closest try those

The 10 footer is going up tomorrow on a base of 4x4" posts held down with concrete patio blocks. It's all I can do because the ground is frozen. Should work ok.

A few pics from today of the trail to the dish farm through the snow.
One of the portable setup I use for setting things up, this is the winter version which is carried by a snow scoop. It consists of the TV and receiver and a 12V battery pack with built in inverter so it's free of extension cords!
There's one looking up at the house from the dish farm and one looking at the barn (can see the horses in the distance to the right of the barn) from the dish farm..........I guess the barn makes the dish farm more "legit" as a real farm.

One pic of the thermometer was taken early this week (Mon or Tues I think). It warmed up to about 20 today so it was actually nice to work out there. No really, 20 feels warm when you've had -20.

Attachments

• P1010204.JPG
    P1010204.JPG
    398.4 KB · Views: 121
  • P1010197.JPG
    P1010197.JPG
    306.6 KB · Views: 106
  • P1010195.JPG
    P1010195.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 112
  • P1010194.JPG
    P1010194.JPG
    487.6 KB · Views: 105
  • P1010193.JPG
    P1010193.JPG
    449.6 KB · Views: 134
  • P1010210.JPG
    P1010210.JPG
    477.3 KB · Views: 120
  • P1010211.JPG
    P1010211.JPG
    434.7 KB · Views: 140
The thermometer pic wasn't from today.......like I said, it warmed up to 20:D

I've worked on them in worse weather but today was nice and sunny so it just felt good to be out there. You can actually work up a sweat if you're dressed properly. I hauled hay this morning so I had some extra heat to use up.

I didn't read every post, but if you are using a LNBF with Voltage Controlled Polarity, like a CK1 or BSC621, try the "Rotated 90" LNB setting in the 905 - if it has one.

It warmed up to about 20 today so it was actually nice to work out there. No really, 20 feels warm when you've had -20.

I can attest to that...when its -10 out you actually think about whether its worth working on the issue or waiting until it gets warmer

today I sprayed out my garage with all the muck & yuck from the snow/mud etc on the truck and had fallen off in the garage...sure you could see your breath but hey its warm :)

I didn't read every post, but if you are using a LNBF with Voltage Controlled Polarity, like a CK1 or BSC621, try the "Rotated 90" LNB setting in the 905 - if it has one.

Yeah, that's what I'm using and I did try both settings.

I was watching the Wx Channel this a.m. and they were talking about Fairbanks, AK with -58 temp... Then I put 2 and 2 together... yeesh... It'd have to warm up 90 degrees to freeze...
So... it's so cold out, you set a pot of boiling water outside to cool. A couple minutes later you return to get the pot. The water is froze and the ice is still warm...

Yes.......so comparatively speaking I don't really have it so bad at all. Although I don't suppose there's much FTA tweaking going on in Alaska at this time of year. When it's that cold up there you don't even think about going outside.

Got up early this morning, got the snowblower out and cleared a spot for my new 10' dish mount. Got the dish and it's mounting post moved to the location, cleaned up a new/old VonWeiss actuator, found another C-Band LNBF to put on the 6 footer as I'm going to put the one from it on the 10 footer ('cause I know it works well). I mounted the actuator to the polar mount, set my elevation, got all my co-ordinates found out my due south satellite is G26.
I drew out the plans for the 4x4 base so all I have to do now is make a trip to Menards, pick up the stuff and put it together.
Should have something by early/mid afternoon!!!!!!!!!
Pics to come later.

2:53 : 10' Orbitron was in the air
approx 5:00 pm, had G1 loaded as a tile and it's sitting on Ch. 3 as we speak.......green lights abound!
I think I have the dish tracking the arc pretty well, at least the western portion which is all I currently care about right now.
Going to get it re-hit soon and see what happens.

approx 5:00 pm, had G1 loaded as a tile and it's sitting on Ch. 3 as we speak.......green lights abound!
I think I have the dish tracking the arc pretty well, at least the western portion which is all I currently care about right now.

WooHoo!!!

You work fast in the cold. :)

Glad to see you have a DC lock, and got it working again. :D

Good for you Inno, can you post a picture of your mount?

The thermometer pic wasn't from today.......like I said, it warmed up to 20:D

I've worked on them in worse weather but today was nice and sunny so it just felt good to be out there. You can actually work up a sweat if you're dressed properly. I hauled hay this morning so I had some extra heat to use up.

I worked at about 20 deg twice this past week on the dishes. Last Monday was sunny when I realigned the Primestar for AMC 9 for RTN. That wasn't too bad. Friday was the bear when I put the new actuator on the BUD. We had snow in the AM and had to put rock salt on the garage roof so I wouldn't fall off because of the ice underneath. By the time I was getting the wires hooked up it started snowing again and snowed from Fri Night till Sat night.

Im just glad I got everything done now I can sit inside posting on Satellite Guys and watch the dishes why it drops to sub zero this week. :)

I will be glad when Spring gets here though.

All this talk about the 905. Guess I'll have to hook up the output and see if it still functions. Have not checked it for several months(since G16 Ku shutdown). C Band still connected to it, though. Got a renewal notice for the "Guide Keeper"(2 channels) annual subscription the other day.

Good for you Inno, can you post a picture of your mount?

Will do.......maybe not for a day or so. It got dark awfully fast on me today and I had other things on my mind!
It seems to have worked pretty well, it's 4 4x4x8 posts criss crossed......actually I have a picture of that, just have to get it from the camera.
Don't think I have any of the post mounted to it but I can't be sure.

My fiance was out there with me to get the dish mounted once the post was set up.........she's AMAZING!!!!! Both in strength and tolerance.......just had to mention that. I think she snapped a couple pics from the deck 'cause she knew I'd want to post them.

Ooops, this was the post I was responding to:
"I was watching the Wx Channel this a.m. and they were talking about Fairbanks, AK with -58 temp... Then I put 2 and 2 together... yeesh... It'd have to warm up 90 degrees to freeze...
So... it's so cold out, you set a pot of boiling water outside to cool. A couple minutes later you return to get the pot. The water is froze and the ice is still warm..."

We just talked to our daughter and grandson. She has a block heater, a radiator heater and a battery charger on her 4WD truck and still has trouble getting it started. But it is so cold that the icy roads are not very slippery. Only at some polished intersections is there a problem.
Tweaking the dishes is usually not necessary. The TV station's 6M dish for C band is not moving this time of the year. They do use two or three turnbuckles to position it. I do not have any idea what they use for KU, although I am quite sure they do have at least one on KU.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)