Setting up Eliptical Dish for RV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Plowboysbbq.com

Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Hi folks. Been a Directv customer since 1997. Wow how things have changed. I've not kept up with understanding all of the technology. As such, I have some questions.

I have an elliptical dish with a triple LNB and a Hughes HD reciever with TIVO that I want to use for my RV. This was the system we had in the house until upgrading. The dish has a build in multi-switch with four outputs. My RV only has one coax in from the outside. I don't need to run more than one of the lines to my RV, do I?

Any anticipated issues running this setup where I'm trying to find satellites each time we set up camp? Of course beyond the obvious of knowing what coordinates to use and having a clear line of site to the satellites.

Thanks...

Todd

Hi folks. Been a Directv customer since 1997. Wow how things have changed. I've not kept up with understanding all of the technology. As such, I have some questions.

I have an elliptical dish with a triple LNB and a Hughes HD reciever with TIVO that I want to use for my RV. This was the system we had in the house until upgrading. The dish has a build in multi-switch with four outputs. My RV only has one coax in from the outside. I don't need to run more than one of the lines to my RV, do I?

Any anticipated issues running this setup where I'm trying to find satellites each time we set up camp? Of course beyond the obvious of knowing what coordinates to use and having a clear line of site to the satellites.

Thanks...

Todd

First of all, your triple LNB dish won't pull in any of the new HD channels (although that shouldn't be an issue since your Hughes and Tivo receivers can't see the new sats either).

Yes, you need to run in one cable for each tuner that you plan on using. Your RV has splitters in the walls, and as such it won't work with a DirecTV signal. The only way that using the RV connection may work, and I stress the MAY part, is if you are only going to be using one tuner such as the Hughes, or only one input to the TiVo.

Thanks...

Todd
You do realize you will get very few HD channels with that set up correct ?
I don't know if HD is important to you in your RV or not.
Your rec. handles mpeg 2 only and that should be around for another year or two, if thats good for you, Great.
If you want all the new HD channels and all, I would direct you towards the new 5 lnb set up, with a slimline dish and all, but if HD is not important in the RV then you should be good to go.

Jimbo

First of all, your triple LNB dish won't pull in any of the new HD channels (although that shouldn't be an issue since your Hughes and Tivo receivers can't see the new sats either).

Yes, you need to run in one cable for each tuner that you plan on using. Your RV has splitters in the walls, and as such it won't work with a DirecTV signal. The only way that using the RV connection may work, and I stress the MAY part, is if you are only going to be using one tuner such as the Hughes, or only one input to the TiVo.

My "RV" is actually a custom trailer built for competition BBQ. There is no splitter in the wall. So it sounds like going to the Hughes HD/DVR tuner won't be an issue with on input.

Thanks!

My "RV" is actually a custom trailer built for competition BBQ. There is no splitter in the wall. So it sounds like going to the Hughes HD/DVR tuner won't be an issue with on input.

Thanks!

Only if you plan on using one tuner and not have the ability to record one channel while watching another. I didn't realize that you were talking about one receiver...my bad. ;)

You do realize you will get very few HD channels with that set up correct ?
I don't know if HD is important to you in your RV or not.
Your rec. handles mpeg 2 only and that should be around for another year or two, if thats good for you, Great.
If you want all the new HD channels and all, I would direct you towards the new 5 lnb set up, with a slimline dish and all, but if HD is not important in the RV then you should be good to go.

Jimbo

Yup, not important. Just want some content to watch. Local channels over the air aren't cutting it.

Only if you plan on using one tuner and not have the ability to record one channel while watching another. I didn't realize that you were talking about one receiver...my bad. ;)

Yup. Recording isn't important. This is more of a mobile kitchen than an RV.

Attachments

• alma bbq farm 2008 110 [640x480].JPG
    alma bbq farm 2008 110 [640x480].JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 187
  • alma bbq farm 2008 113 [640x480].JPG
    alma bbq farm 2008 113 [640x480].JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 176
  • bbq trailer 014 [640x480].JPG
    bbq trailer 014 [640x480].JPG
    41 KB · Views: 186
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)