setting up hd satellite at camper

catonite

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2005
We have Dish Network HD at home. I called Dish to see if we could set it up at the camper and they said even though the dish will be stationary they can't service 5th wheels. We have set dishes up before ourselves so we thought we would try and I wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what we may need for the hd setup. We could only pick up 110 where we are but we found out that we may be able get the hd satellites 61.5, 72.7 and 77. We know that we need the 1000.4 satellite dish and the lnb's that go with it. Can we run the single receiver directly off the lnb's or do we need a DP34 switch? I assume if we need the switch we also need the power supply? This is how we have it hooked up at our house. I wasn't sure if it would be the same for the camper. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

catonite said:
We have Dish Network HD at home. I called Dish to see if we could set it up at the camper and they said even though the dish will be stationary they can't service 5th wheels. We have set dishes up before ourselves so we thought we would try and I wondered if anyone could tell me exactly what we may need for the hd setup. We could only pick up 110 where we are but we found out that we may be able get the hd satellites 61.5, 72.7 and 77. We know that we need the 1000.4 satellite dish and the lnb's that go with it. Can we run the single receiver directly off the lnb's or do we need a DP34 switch? I assume if we need the switch we also need the power supply? This is how we have it hooked up at our house. I wasn't sure if it would be the same for the camper. Thanks for any help that you can give me.

With the 1000.4 there is no switch necessary. Just set up the dish and you should be good to go.

And may you have a better LoS than I. Had to give up Dish where we camp. :(

Maybe I'm a diffrent breed of cat , but remember the days when going camping ment "roughing it". We didnt have tv, phone, or computers. We went fishing, biking, hiking, then sat by the campfire and had family time. Maybe we had a radio to keep track of storms, but that was all.

Sorry that turned into abit of a rant, but if you cant live without tv theres a problem.

Sat Monkey said:
Maybe I'm a diffrent breed of cat , but remember the days when going camping ment "roughing it". We didnt have tv, phone, or computers. We went fishing, biking, hiking, then sat by the campfire and had family time. Maybe we had a radio to keep track of storms, but that was all.

Sorry that turned into abit of a rant, but if you cant live without tv theres a problem.

Just for the record my portable setup is actually for tailgating. When I go camping it is all nature. :)

Yea, you could get a stand alone Dish. However your probably better off using a Dish500 and just getting standard definition programming, as a Dish500 is easier to align than a Dish1000

Hi all, a simple Dish 500 with the Dish Pro single LNB on it can receive all the HD from the 129 west satellite provided you have LOS to it. It used to be able to get HD from the 61.5 satellite too but lots of the HD has been moved off of this satellite.

If you have an E.A. Dish at your home now you might want to make a list of your favourite channels then hit the info button twice on the remote and see what satellite then are on. You might find enough on the same satellite to make using the simple Dish 500 feasible.

The Dish 500 with the single LNB are very common in the east and were used as a wing dish. They are easy to find on Craigslist for next to nothing.

Hope this helps, DC

If you have an E.A. Dish at your home now you might want to make a list of your favourite channels then hit the info button twice on the remote and see what satellite then are on. You might find enough on the same satellite to make using the simple Dish 500 feasible.

Or you can use the link in the tabs at the top of this site to "DishChannelChart.com"

or just go straight to SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription subdish

That will show you exactly which channels are on each satellite so you can figure out which ones you need.

In my opinion the Dish 1000.2 (the Western Arc cousin to the 1000.4 dish) is really not hard to aim as long as you take your time and are able to get it level. I bought mine from Karaoke.com: Music, Songs, Machines, Players, and CDs and it works great for my tailgates!!!

Ditto on the 1000.2 is as easy to aim as a 500.

We live in our RV, we are not camping. So HD is important. We setup often, sometimes nightly. We started with a 500 and upgraded to a 1000.2 so we can attest to the setup being the same.

A vertical mast is critical so a good adjustable leg tripod is important unless you can guarantee level ground. You also need the 1000 manual for the setup parameters as the receivers do not have the settings for the 1000 dish.

delta_charlie.;2274606 It used to be able to get HD from the 61.5 satellite too but lots of the HD has been moved off of this satellite. DC[/QUOTE said:
I have 61.5 and I don't think I am missing any HD. Please list what HD channels have moved off of 61.5. I know some new channels have been added and are not on 61.5.

Actually, I agree with you completely. I should have said "where we RV." I usually do, to maintain the distinction.

We moved from ground and tent, to mini-van with and without tent, to SUV without tent, to rented trailer, to a tow along solid trailer, to our current fifth wheel. Got older, softer, and with different goals. The RV is for comfort, wherever we go. Our own bed and stuff, you know. Where we go is to see the sights. Not so big on the great outdoors anymore, especially since we had a big scare with my wife having an anaphylactic shock reaction to a sting. Real high pitched voice, couldn't get her to the hospital fast enough to suit me. She's been getting allergy shots ever since, and probably will for the rest of her life.

We don't camp anymore. We RV.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Actually, I agree with you completely. I should have said "where we RV." I usually do, to maintain the distinction.

We moved from ground and tent, to mini-van with and without tent, to SUV without tent, to rented trailer, to a tow along solid trailer, to our current fifth wheel. Got older, softer, and with different goals. The RV is for comfort, wherever we go. Our own bed and stuff, you know. Where we go is to see the sights. Not so big on the great outdoors anymore, especially since we had a big scare with my wife having an anaphylactic shock reaction to a sting. Real high pitched voice, couldn't get her to the hospital fast enough to suit me. She's been getting allergy shots ever since, and probably will for the rest of her life.

We don't camp anymore. We RV.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.

if she is that sensitive they have a injection emprepine sp? she should carry with her at all times. i have been offered one for my nut allergy

if she is that sensitive they have a injection emprepine sp? she should carry with her at all times. i have been offered one for my nut allergy

Actually, they gave her two "packages." Each "Eppy pen" package has two syringes. Both she and I were required to attend training on their use. And they automatically replace them, just before expiration.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)