setting up motorized dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yosemitedale

Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Hi all,
I'm setting up a SG2100 motor on a 33" dish. When I set up all the angles on the motor bracket and the dish bracket as per the instructions, the dish looks like it is pointed up too high (elevation too high). I'm comparing it to the BEV dish that I have up and running right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

One side of the motor is marked ELEVATION and the other LATITUDE, make sure you do not have them mixed up, give us your zip and we can double check the angles for you!

PSB said:
WELCOME to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum!

One side of the motor is marked ELEVATION and the other LATITUDE, make sure you do not have them mixed up, give us your zip and we can double check the angles for you!

Thanks for your reply Pete,

My site lattitude is 43.88 (N) longitude is -79.29 (W)

These are the angle settings that I'm using on this installation;

Motor bracket; 44 degrees
Dish bracket; 23.3 degrees (30-6.7=23.3)

At my latitude (44 degrees), it doesn't seem to matter which scale I use on the motor because around the 45 degree midpoint, they both read the same thing.

These are the settings right out of the installation manual.

Thanks for your help, Pete.

For a Latitude of 44º the motor Elevation should be set at 46º (or Lat. 44º)

The dish (when on motor) should be set to an Elevation of 23º

So if you are using the above angles and the mast/pole is plumb and level it should be set correctly.

Does your motor have Lat. on one side and ELEV. on the other?

Any pictures?

Remember the motor elevation should never be touched after setting it, but the Dish elevation can be changed slightly to get the maximum signal quality!

Thanks for your reply, Pete,

Yes, the motor has Elevation on one side and Lattitude on the other and when I set the two angles as you suggested, the dish still looks weird and pointed up too high as compared to the BEV dish I have. I understand that the 33" dishes sold in North America are offset dishes and they should actually look like they are pointed down too much. Am I wrong? Because the dish looks like it's pointed wrong doesn't give me much confidence that I'm pointing the dish properly to get the satellite signals.

P.S. I am having problems getting any satellite signals.

Thanks for your help

Any pictures?

Have a look at the below maybe that will help. The mast pole must be straight up and down.

Off-set dish look around 22º lower than where they are actually pointing!

Attachments

• elevatio.gif
    elevatio.gif
    2 KB · Views: 144
  • mountpole.gif
    mountpole.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 142
  • pdss047078.jpg
    pdss047078.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 22-deg-offset.gif
    22-deg-offset.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 148
Your ExpressVu dish should be a bit lower than your FTA dish, since the ExpressVu elevation is going to be set for between their satellite at 82w and their satellite at 91w. Your FTA dish (on motor at '0') will be set to the elevation of your true south satellite, which should be a tad bit higher.

Can you post any pictures?

Status
Please reply by conversation.