setting up my first dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tricity_48611

Original poster
Oct 1, 2004
This is my first post so I hope I don't sound like a newbe.

I'm in the process of setting up my dish and dish motor. While reading I realize my signal meter wont work with the Univeral LNB that I just got.

My idea is to build up the neck on one of my old dtv lnb's with tape, mount it to my dish and use that with my signal meter to aim the dish then change it to the new lnb. I don't think I can get a great fit with the tape but will it be good enough to aim the dish?

Yes! A few people have done this in the past, for example you can use the regular DBS LNB to point at Directv 101 satellite then simply change to the universal KU LNBF and you will be bang on AMC-4, welcome!

Thanks.

One more thing, how would you suggest I find my true south satellite. I'm at 84" 6' west. Will the DBS LNB give me a reading on my meter for a satellite true south of me. Which if I'm figuring correctly would be Brasilsat B3?

tricity_48611 said:
Thanks.

One more thing, how would you suggest I find my true south satellite. I'm at 84" 6' west. Will the DBS LNB give me a reading on my meter for a satellite true south of me. Which if I'm figuring correctly would be Brasilsat B3?
You're right in that your true south satellite is just what's closest to your longitude. BUT, the satellite you mentioned is pointed to South America (mostly Brazil), and it's C-band only, so you would not see any signal. You're actually not far from me longitudelly. I used AMC3 at 87 because AMC9 doesn't always have something on I could see with my digital receiver. You could probably use Nimiq 2 as it's closer, but that depends on how far away from Canada you are.

One other important note...

Of course, you will still point the motor directly at true south, but then make the motor turn its mast to the nearest satellite for pointing. In other words, you'll not want to point the whole motor assembly at whatever satellite you chose. And be sure to take into account you're area's magnetic deviation (likely around -6 if you're not too far north or south of Ohio).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)