Setting up my VIP722 with dishproplus 1000.4

dandif518

Original poster
Jul 26, 2012
upstate NY
Hello all! Thank you for checking out this post! I am new here and not a satellite technician and need help with this install I need to do.

I currently have a dish 500 dish with a sd dvr 622. I got a dish from my parents old house(it was still mounted and they 5 minutes from me)and it says dish network plus on it. It has a big lnb and a smaller lnb(please see pic)and I know its a 1000.4 eastern arc.

The installer put just one line into my house going to a triplexer and then into the 622 dvr. My question is, can I still use just the one coax line coming into the house with a hd dvr I bought(VIP722)and just go right to the triplexer the way it is now? It sucks not having hd but I want to make sure I have the right dish and lnb's to get my hd channels I'll be signing up for once I get it installed.

My next question is a biggie. How many lines do I attach to the lnb and which one do I attach to? The big lnb has 2 out ports. 1F and 2D. This kinda confuses me. Do you just hook the line up to just one of those seeing as I only have 1 tv in the house or do you have to hook up to both of them and go to a switch or something? It just seems like hooking up to 1 output won't get me all my sd and hd channels. Maybe I'm wrong. And that's not even taking that little lnb with the 2 outs on it.

Just one more thing, I promise! I know my elavation, azimuth and skew. It has the scales right on the dish. If I set the dish to those positions on the scales, will I be in the neighborhood when I turn on the new box. I understand I'll need to do fine tuning but wondering if it will put me in the ballpark.

Any help would be huge!!!! Thank you so much for reading. Dan IMAG0214.jpg

That's actually a Dish 500 Plus. It gets 110, 118.7 and 119. No HD. You can however add the 129 LNB to make it a 1000 Plus.

My buddy has a dish that says dish super that looks almost identical to this one. Could that be hd? If not, what do I look for to get hd?

Thanbks for the reply.

You could try pointing your dish 500 to the 72.7 & 61.5 orbitals. Not sure if it would work i hear it can. Worth a shot. But im not sure what orbital is needed fir your locals.

The dish 500 plus super dish is sd but if you add another lnb to the other side of the bigger lnb it turns it into the 1000 plus super dish. Which would then make it hd/sd also a 44switch is needed

Cool. Thanks man!!! I will check into that. Btw, I have my roof top antenna still hooked up to my tv so if it's just locals I'd miss out on, I'm not worried about that. So you are saying that if I aim my current dish 500 to those orbitals, I could pick up hd's(except locals)?

My question would be to the OP, why would you have a Dish500 dish with a 622? If you have HD and your locals are on 129, Dish should give you a freebie dish to get your locals and your HD. I would check the receiver, if it is a 625, a Dish1000 would not give you anything and you would just be wasting time unless you plan on upgrading your system.

You're right Gary. My dvr is a 625. I bought a vip722 on ebay that I'm waiting for to come in. I picked up the dish pictured from my parents house. They have hd now and their new dish says turbo hd. The installer came to their house when they upgraded to hd and was going to use the dish they had(the one pictured)but my mom didn't want to leave the holes exposed so the tech said he would just install a new dish. So according to my mom, the tech was going to use the dish I got from them for hd but he might have planned to add another lnb like mentioned above.

If it's gonna be a huge pita, I'll just search for a dish that is marked hd on it. Dish wanted 200.00 for a hd dvr that I didn't have so I looked for a cheaper alternative and bought a used bo:mad:722)a lot cheaper.

The current dish IO have up is much smaller than that plus and does have 2 lnb's so I thought it couldn't pull in hd's

Here's a 1000.2 dish does the same as a 1000.4 might want to call dish and find out which they require in your area. Both are capable of hitting both arcs. Both bring in hd. So its just a question of locals. In my area we can use the 110 sd 129 hd or the 61.5 hd and I think the 72.7 for sd. Kinda lucky I can arc flip with no worries.

http://www.google.com/search?q=dish...r6wGb_YGgDA&ved=0CF4QsAQ&biw=320&bih=508#i=17

Note the 1000.2 has what is called a Ea twin its two lnbs and brings in the 61.5 & 72.7

Theoretically the 500 plus could pick up 61.5/72.7 but it will be more of a PITA than just getting a 1000.2 (110, 119, 129) or a 1000.4 (61.5, 72.7, 77.) The 500 plus can be converted into a 1000 plus (110, 118.7, 119, 129) with the appropriate bracket and another LNB. That would probably be your better bet than attempting 61.5/72.7 with the 500 plus, especially if you're not concerned with locals via sat.

However one thing to take note is in the northeast 129 is pretty low on the horizon so you'll need a good LOS.

True dat halo! I believe I have the LOS but who know's. lol. I did find a 1000.4 EA lnb on ebay for 15.00. It's just the lnb unit and doesn't have the dish included. Could that just bolt up to the 500 or the 500 plus I have and work?

No you'll need the 1000.4 reflector as well. You might be able to jury rig it onto the 1000 plus assembly but it would be far from ideal.

I really don't know I'll have to attempt that one. Maybe I'll try to attempt this later in the week when I have time. I get bored easily.

I've made a .2 lnbf work on a 1000.4 dish and a WA 1000.4 work on a super dish reflector a dot 4 arm and lnb bracket. got into the high 90s . Its not ideal but it was cool. Btw in my area the 119 comes in at 72ish

If you can get a 1000.4 LNB arm and bracket you can use the 500 plus pan with the 1000.4 LNB. This is technically called the 1000.5.

Nice Gary! Ok. I'll look for one of those too halo. Back to one quick thing. When I get the right lnb's, can I still use the one line currently going into the dish 500 I have or do those hd lnb's require more than a single cable. With just the one receiver, I'd love to keep it simple.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)