setup advice wanted and questions needing answered.

nunyadam

Original poster
Sep 30, 2006
I need to figure out the best way to get my dish working again. I have a 301 receiver that works fine. The dish 500 LNBF is bad though. I was given a Superdish HDTV dish and LNBs, and cables.
Can I just buy a DP34 switch and make it work?
would it be cheaper to buy the new LNBF for the 500?
Which one is going to give me better reception?
Any advice you have is welcome.

From what little research I have done it appears the superdish and 301 will work together, and I do plan to add another receiver later. so am i headed in the right direction?

Nunya

DP 34 switches are all over E-bay. cheap too. I find I get better signal strength with the superdish (larger surface) that the lowly 500. if you do use the superdish make sure it is supported either on a pole or with bracing if mounted on a house.

However, is your "Superdish HDTV" dish a "SuperDish 121", a "SuperDish 105", or maybe its really a "Dish 1000"?

If it's the Dish 1000 with a DP Twin, maybe you just need to run a single cable from it to your 301 receiver.

If you do need to buy anything, I believe you could buy either a Twin or DP Twin cheaper than the DP-34, but both the SuperDish and the Dish 1000 are larger and would be better for rain fade, and the DP-34 would allow future upgrades.

PS - Also, you did not say what kind of LNBF's were given to you.

Ok, So tell me how to identify the beast and I'll let you know what I have after work.
2 lnbf's in the HD center pod with the 3rd to the east side. I can get model #'s later if needed

With only a 301 receiver and a superdish why would he need a DP-34 ? He should just be able to bypass the international lnb and come straight from the ....uh oh...he will have to use a 21 switch, if it's not a dp pro..if it is...I don't think it would be though.... he could come striaght from the lnb...

Exactly what I was thinking. Just ignore the 105 or 121 LNB and use a DP21 switch for 119 and 110. If a receiver is added someday the DP21 will need to be replaced with a DP34 or DPP33. Or just get a DP Twin for the Dish500 and save the hassle of aiming another dish.

LNBF's are cheap.. The cost of a new DP Twin will be cheaper than the hassel of a superdish installation. And Superdishes are just a problem waiting to happen anyway. Stay with the Dish 500 and replace the LNB. Even a Legacy Twin will work in you situation.. Stay away from the Superdish..

The 301 i have is a pro, at least thats what it says at the sat coax hookup.

How do I identify which LNB is which?

Last edited:
wait, i have never installed a super dish... but does it have a twin on it? i thought it did. If it does... just take the twin off of the super dish and put it on your Dish500... done.

I have it sorted out well enough that it will see 119 on either of the lnbf's i have. can't find 110, but that could be a location issue as i have to shoot between trees.
looks like i need a dp21 for the short term, and some luck finding 110 through the trees. the worst part is they are stink trees that people should cut down when there small due to the fact they are soft wood and grow like weeds.
I may wind up having to set up two dishes so i can find 119 and 110.

Looks like a fun day for me tomorrow. lol

Thanks for The help you have provided its been of more use than the Dishnetwork site. I'm still open to more ideas as this problem isn't whipped yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)