Setup and cabling question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gabow

Original poster
Mar 24, 2015
michigan
I currently have directv but am considering switching due to my cost continuing to rise.

My question is whether my existing cable will support dish network.

I have only one coax out to the dish with with one DVR in my main TV room, then a 2nd dvr that is about 150ft away. I have their whole home dvr so I can watch any show recorded on either DVRs at either location.

I don't have a lot of concerns with recording shows, scheduling, or whatever. Mostly just concerned with running any additional cable. All my existing cable was run prior to installing foam (sealed) insulation so i don't want to do another penetration of the building for more cable.

thanks, gabow

RG6. yes, you are correct. The only thing I know is that it works with directv, hence my starting some research to see if I can switch to dish without running new cable. If I can, then I'll move at least for a couple of years or until they raise their prices out of control like directv has.

I have little doubt the present cable will OK. However, if you are going to continue with a whole home Hopper/Joey setup, you will need a second cable from the dish. One line will work with a single, dual tuner DVR, like the 722K. Being unfamiliar with Direct whole home wiring, where does the cable to the second DVR originate?

Directv can have 8 or 13 tuners on a single cable depending on lnb. Most likely have a standard splitter for the second room, which I believe won't work with dish.

The cable to the 2nd dvr is just a splitter inside the house that continues on to the 2nd dvr. I would post a link to a similar wiring diagram but the forum won't let me post links.

That's what I was concerned about, that the dish would require two connections to the dish. I might be ok as long as I can use just "one" coax to the 2nd dvr.

thanks, gabow

The cable to the 2nd dvr is just a splitter inside the house that continues on to the 2nd dvr. I would post a link to a similar wiring diagram but the forum won't let me post links.

That's what I was concerned about, that the dish would require two connections to the dish. I might be ok as long as I can use just "one" coax to the 2nd dvr.

thanks, gabow
With one cable from dish, you can only connect to one dual tuner DVR. You could go out from, say a 722K with coax to the second TV, but it would only be SD.

Ok, thanks. So to get a hopper in the primary location and a joey in the 2nd location, I need two cables from the dish, one routes to the hopper and the 2nd to the joey. Is that correct?

Will the joey work out to about 225ft on rg6? If I go out to the dish that's about how far I would have to go and there would be one connection in there as well. I know there are a lot of factors to answer that question. The cable is fairly new and conditions pretty close to ideal sans the one connector. I would have to connect the cable coming into the house to the one going out to my garage "man cave" to get there.

thanks, gabow.

Ok, thanks. So to get a hopper in the primary location and a joey in the 2nd location, I need two cables from the dish, one routes to the hopper and the 2nd to the joey. Is that correct?

Will the joey work out to about 225ft on rg6? If I go out to the dish that's about how far I would have to go and there would be one connection in there as well. I know there are a lot of factors to answer that question. The cable is fairly new and conditions pretty close to ideal sans the one connector. I would have to connect the cable coming into the house to the one going out to my garage "man cave" to get there.

thanks, gabow.
Also if you are happy with directv have you tried calling the retention dept. and ask for your discounts back, let them know you are thinking about going to dish. Again this is only if you are happy with the service. I am sure you would be happy with dish as well but may save Ya some trouble.

thanks, gabow.
Here is a Hopper training guide with wiring diagrams so you can understand how it works:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/attachments/hopper-training-guide-pdf.75239/

So, in looking at the training guide provided by KAB, does the "solo node" reside out at the dish or is it inside the home?

If the solo node is located out at the dish, I could use the 2nd diagram in that doc and use a tap on the inside to go to a joey. Basically my configuration would be one hopper and one joey. The joey is however, about 150 ft from the hopper, with the hopper being about 75 ft from the dish.

If the solo node is located inside the house, then I would use the first diagram with my hopper and joey cabled to the solo node with no splitters.

Also, another question. I don't have a "land line" only cell phones. So it needs to work without a telephone connection, just an internet connection.

Thanks, gabow.

The only thing missing without a telephone connection is caller ID. It works fine without an internet connection as well but, as already noted, you get much more with that connection....

Which raises a question for us non-HwS customers... Does the DA transfer function work w/o an Internet connection?

Which raises a question for us non-HwS customers... Does the DA transfer function work w/o an Internet connection?
Yes, sort of. Internet is not necessary, but your HWS and mobile device have to still be connected to the same router... Whether it has a modem connected or not.

The requirement for transfer is both devices be on the same network. It could be a closed home network, or an open network. As long as it's all on the same network.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thank you guys very much, I think I have my questions answered. It looks like I can indeed switch to dish without too much trouble. As always I will have to do a few things.

With the way these company's work, I think I will do the things I need to do to be able to switch back and forth from dish to directv without too much trouble.

This industry is crazy, all the prices online are only available to "new" customers and long term customers get screwed. Most other industries give you a price and it's the price. If you have a long term contract that is still in effect, you may have to honor it, but if not you can get the newer price.

My directv bill is at $116/month. Been a customer for 17 years!! The same service I get is listed on their web site for around $65/month and that's about what dish charges new customers as well. I don't have any movie channels, the only specialty channels I have are the SEC network, B10 network, golf channel and a few others like history/discovery channels.

I've called directv and I understand that if I go through enough BS I can get it down to something more reasonable, but at this point it's the principle of the thing.

I'm ready to get set up where I can swap companies about every 2-3 years and get the prices they list on their web sites. It's just insane that they treat their customers like they do.

For comparison, I do application hosting on the internet for a living. I have a co-locate company that I purchase space/servers from on a monthly basis. They just recently advertised a special rate on their web site. I got into an online chat session to see if I could change my plan to get the new rates. In about 10 minutes not only did I have the new rates, but they gave me an additional 10% because I had been a customer for 5+ years.

I guess the satellite tv guys make a lot of money screwing customers, but I for one am ready to do what I can do to fight back.

Thanks, gabow

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts