Setup confusion! please help!

mmganger

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
United States
Hello, I am new to this hopper/joey system and had a few questions before I order it. I basically have 6 tv's that I would like to set up. However i only want 3 tv's to access dvr and to save money on unnecessary cost of the Joey's. I understand the setup is from the satellite to the node to the receivers, but is the sole purpose of the joey just to access the dvr? Can I connect a tv directly to a tuner without a joey for the tv's that don't require a dvr and possibly split that connection to other tv's? Thank you for the help. Much appreciated for your input. My current set up is the 722k one tuner going to the bedroom and the 2nd tuner split across the rest of the rooms.

Hello, I am new to this hopper/joey system and had a few questions before I order it. I basically have 6 tv's that I would like to set up. However i only want 3 tv's to access dvr and to save money on unnecessary cost of the Joey's. I understand the setup is from the satellite to the node to the receivers, but is the sole purpose of the joey just to access the dvr? Can I connect a tv directly to a tuner without a joey for the tv's that don't require a dvr and possibly split that connection to other tv's? Thank you for the help. Much appreciated for your input. My current set up is the 722k one tuner going to the bedroom and the 2nd tuner split across the rest of the rooms.

For Hopper Joey system you need 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys to give independent channel selection at 6 TV's. If you want 2 tuners with 5 TV's and the same SD channel split to them keep what you have now.

But how many TVs need independent viewing? HDMI splitters and home distro are options.

Only 3 would need independent viewing. the others really dont need to be independent. Could even sacrifice and make it only 2 independent if it made things easier to split. HDMI splitting would be very difficult for me to wire throughout the house. The rooms are not close to eachother.

But how many TVs need independent viewing? HDMI splitters and home distro are options.

That is the setup I use with 1 hopper and 2 joey's. One tv is far away from the rest (bedroom) so it gets one Joey. LR the hopper. Office, kitchen and spa room share one joey. That joey is in a common area so the remotes work from every site. HDMI feed to office, RF ch 4 to kitchen and spa room. RF feed is good and those tv's are LED's pre-digital. Next year the spa room is getting HTMI to a new tv.

Oh Great! Can you explain to me how did you split the Joey in your office/kitchen and spa room?
That is the setup I use with 1 hopper and 2 joey's. One tv is far away from the rest (bedroom) so it gets one Joey. LR the hopper. Office, kitchen and spa room share one joey. That joey is in a common area so the remotes work from every site. HDMI feed to office, RF ch 4 to kitchen and spa room. RF feed is good and those tv's are LED's pre-digital. Next year the spa room is getting HTMI to a new tv.

OK, if you're going to do this with a Hopper & Joey setup: The Joey has composite out and HDMI out. You might be ahead to rig a wireless transmitter and receiver. You could do that from the Hopper also. Or set up wireless remote Joeys at the other TVs.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Joey also has USB port and it works wirelesly with wifi adapter, assuming you have good wifi coverage in the house (strong and fast). So if you need only two tv's running at the same time get wifi adapter and drag Joey around.

The best thing is to hardwire the Joey the hd channels seem to scramble at times. I tried both ways and found it better to hardwire the Joey in. Just keep in mind dish will not support this feature and they are still testing it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts