Several FTA Quetions Please

ndennis

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Southern US
I still have and use a 10' C/Ku dish. But it has not moved off of Galaxy 19 in years.

I just got a new TV and decided it was time to clean up my room and retire some equipment, including my 4DTV receiver. I've only used it as a slave to change the skew for my Traxis 3500.

When I powered up the Traxis LNB it worked but I cannot find out how to change the skew. I suspect it cannot be done from the Traxis?

Perhaps I should retire the 10' dish too and replace it with a small dish?

Do they make dual satellite small dishes like I have with DirecTV?

I use to greatly enjoy all the wild feeds many years ago. But I was replacing my actuator arm about every two years. Has the digital age made difficult finding wild feeds? Is there a forum for wild feeds?

Finally, are there any reasonably priced HD receivers?

This is my first post. Thanks,

Dennis

I've been on this forum for a few hours now and the AZBox looks great. I need to wait for the newest model to come out, which should be soon according to this forum.

Novice Questions

I just discovered this forum and glad I did.

Many years ago I enjoyed scanning the sky with my BUD. I still have it and use a Traxis 3500 on Galaxy 19 only. My BUD has not been upgraded in 15 years.

The AZBox looks exciting. More than what I thought was available. But I have a few questions please.

If I use the AZBox with my BUD should I change the LNB (or anything else) to something more modern?

Is it strictly Ku band? If so, then I would think about a smaller dish to extend the life of the actuator arm.

I see a new model is expected soon (I want the latest blind scan). Will it be announced on this forum?

Where can I get the best price (I live in the Southern US)?

Thanks,

Dennis

I need to wait for the newest model to come out, which should be soon according to this forum.
The newest AZBox model is the AzBox Premium Plus. It's out, just no one in the States selling them. You can get them online from a few European places.
It won't control a Servo for Polarity, and without a GBox or VBox, can't control an Actuator.
But you already have a 4DTV that you could slave it to.

Good information. Just what I need. Thank you.

I guess I'll get the 4DTV back out of the closet.

Any suggestions where to buy in Europe? What about EBay?

Also, the only reason for me to get the latest is an improved blind scan. Is the Plus better at this?

What else has improved?

The azbox will work with both C & Ku Band. I use mine for both
you wouldnt need to change anything with your current setup but the azbox will not control an actuator. Your 4DTV or C-Band receiver can do that

Blind scan is on the azbox via a software upgrade but its kinda useless
1. only does 1 symbol rate at a time
2. logs duplicate channels
3. misses a lot

I did a scan yesterday of a known symbol rate. The Coolsat 5000 which I normally use for blind scan found it at (example) 11960 H 30000

The azbox logged it at 11955, 11960, 11965 so I had 3 channels of the same thing

I'm having problems with this site being very slow and I am missing some posts. Sorry.

The bad thing is missing channels. But perhaps they will get it better over time.

Do I need to upgrade my old BUD?

Is there still stuff on C-Band?

Thanks

I use a different receiver to blind scan and then load the 4:2:2/HD stuff into the azbox

Your BUD should be fine depending on what you have right now for equipment

yes there is PLENTY still on C-Band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)