Status
Please reply by conversation.

madpoet

Too Much Hi Def!
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 3, 2004
Vernon, CT
I've got severe ghosting on my Fox61, all the time. I litterally see 3 ghosts of everyone on every program on. And unfortunately my reception of the local digital version is spotty at best. I talked with a D* tech and they were less than helpful. Has anyone seen anything like this on their locals? Honesltly it looks like I'm picking up the SD broadcats of this channel and not any kind of feed from D*!

Usually these kinds of issues wind up as a "finger-pointing" contest between D* and
the local affilate. You don't say what your location is...are you referring to WDSI in
Chat. Tn? or WTIC in Conn.? if so, have you tried contacting the stations chief engineer? If you contact
the station, I'm sure they can work with D*, to provide a good signal. Also you should
search the local area forum to see if others are having this problem.
http://www.fox61tv.com/
http://fox61.trb.com/

Sorry, should have mentioned its is WTIC Connecticut. The worst part is that when I get the OTA signal it really is beautiful... crystal clear. But it drops out so often it's painful.

I've got the same problem with the PBS station out of South Bend/Elkhart. It's obviously either an antenna at the Local Receive Facility that's pointed in the wrong direction or multipath reception. I've contacted them a couple of times about it, and as moonman said, 'it's not their problem'. According to them it's either Directv or a problem with my equipment.
You would think they'd take some pride in the quality of the signal they deliver to Directv, but apparently not.

Ditto moonman, WTIC out of CT (FoX61) has severe ghosting issues. Audio quaility is just fine expect the PQ levels are poor to fair at best. I forget which transponder I am using now but it's ~slightly~ better than what I started with. For anyone else reading this it doesn't matter what source you use (HDMI / Component / S-Video , etc...) as they are all poor picture quality. My neighbor lives 20 feet away from my house and he is using OTA with no reception to WTIC (maybe obstructions / bad line of site issues).

I do not know what method is being used to get the station's feed to D*, the problem
could be anywhere...however you do need to convince the Chief engineer, that there
is a problem, and he needs to work with D* to try to resolve it.....
---------------
Phone: 860-527-6161
The switchboard is open during normal business hours,
Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Mailing address:
Fox 61 WTIC-TV
One Corporate Center
Hartford, CT 06103

moonman said:
I do not know what method is being used to get the station's feed to D*, the problem
could be anywhere...however you do need to convince the Chief engineer, that there
is a problem, and he needs to work with D* to try to resolve it.....
---------------
Phone: 860-527-6161
The switchboard is open during normal business hours,
Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

Mailing address:
Fox 61 WTIC-TV
One Corporate Center
Hartford, CT 06103

Make a video tape. That's what I'm thinking of doing. But make two, and make sure the general manager of the station gets a copy. I'm waiting for 'significantly viewed' and hopefully I be able to get the PBS station from Chicago. If not I'll try the video tapes.

I had a similar problem to yours a few weeks ago with my local Univision Station, called both DirecTV and then the station itself, D* said they could not find any problems at all and that I might want to contact the station, well I did call them and few hours later it was fixed, so looks like it worked in my case, I would suggest you to call the station and talk to one of the engineers or just tell whoever answers the phone that you wish to report a problem with the channel signal in your area, They will forward you to the right person hopefully.

What time of the day does this happen? Fox61 turns down their output power sometimes.. I work for a cable company in connecticut, and we have problems picking up TIC from time to time due to this.

Depending on where DirecTV is picking up the station, it could be related to that.

I see it on the night broadcasts. For instance, Wednesday night's "So you think you can Dance" was TERRIBLE. I still have it on my Tivo. It's got ghosting, color bands, and even slides off center a couple times before snapping back into place. Last night the football game looked pretty good. I called D* yesterday and they opened a ticket to track any complaints on that channel, and said they would talk with WTIC. I also called and left a message for Lee at WTIC, who is an engineer supposedly familiar with the uplink. So I don't know if it was coincidence of not, but last night was much better. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Most stations send out a "Ghost Cancelling" signal that special receivers (like the models DirecTV use) can eliminate even the worst ghosting. Unfortunatly, it is hard for DirecTV,s local people (not the TV station, but the person who keeps the local receive/multiplex spots going) to either turn this on or keep it turned on. The Tektronix demods they use are execelt, if this is enabled.

I do not know what receiver Dish uses at their pickup points, but one station here does have ghosting in its transmission line and sends out the cancelling signal. It looks beautiful on Dish, but lousy on DirecTV. We are calling constantly to have them turn it on. How we can tell is I turn off the signal to see what happens at the station. On Direct, I see no change most of the time. On Dish, I can see myself turning it on and off. Ghost cancellation in professional equipment makes a world of difference.

not all channels on dish look that great ..abc in new orleans has ghosting sometimes at night and one of the pbs's has "fuzz" like an analog signal would have.

call D* tech support directly @800-695-9251 if contacting the local station engineer isnt in your list of things to do for the day or its not a problem there. tech support does have a sheet to fill out for local channel outages and the problem is usually resolved within the week. better than just waiting around hoping it fixes itself

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts