SG-2100 Motor installation

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

skillet

Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
New Hampshire, US
So just received my new SG-2100 Motor from Hypermegasat.com. I'm planning on taking my currently functional fta system and upgrading it. Here's what I've got at the moment:

Receiver 1: Openbox S10
Receiver 2: Centronics 3000 (10 dollar hamfest pickup)
ARIZA 90 CM Offset Dish with JSC322 Twin KU LNBF

My S10 will be driving the motor. The plan is to begin on Friday from what I've read having the mast be plum is very important. I picked up a magnetic angle finder/inclinometer to help with that. What are the how tos worth reading and does anyone have any tips or cautions for me. Hopefully I will be back up and enjoying fta before the snow flys.

thanks

It's all in the "Details".
Assume nothing, except that you did not understand the Bablefish translated instructions included with motor.
It's not Plug n Play
If already familiar with current system and aiming, find your Tues South Sat before installing Motor.
Post must be Plumb, on 2 sides, with the Motor and Dish installed
Dishpointer.com
Set the Motor's "Latitude" Scale (not elevation) to your Lat: 43+
Know / understand approx where you will be pointing the Dish for True South.
Dish "Elevation" markings are known to be inaccurate, results are what counts.
Have a known Hot Transponder selected in the receiver's Sat Setup Menu
Don't even connect cables to the Motor until you have a Quality reading on your True South Sat
Bypass any / all switches until finished.
Understand how the LNB should be skewed - Zero Skew for Motor Setup.
Double check that you entered your location for USALS as North and West.
Small, very Small moves / Adjustments.

Give yourself enough time, and enjoy the process.

Your true south sat will be 72W - AMC6. Look for either 12143 V 2573 - GBN or 12053 V 6890 - the NBC mux. As Lak7 said, find this satellite before installing the motor. I found that using an angle finder to measure the dish setting without the motor first makes aligning things with the motor much faster and easier. Have patience and you will get it.

It would be really helpful if you can confirm that once you are set up, the s10 can move your sg2100. I'm having a problem with that (s10 keeps rebooting when try to move dish with an sg2100) so would be good to know there is light at the end of the tunnel. I like the s10 but I'm stuck on 72w.

Last edited:
Thats not good news on your S10 not moving your motor. Have you tried other firmware versions? Thanks for all the info so far.

skillet

Different firmware didn't do it but a different s10 did. So now I can move the dish ok with a second s10 (no rebooting) but each time I do it I lose the tp (have to hit a different tp and then go back again to the first one to get S and Q). Seems like more power with the second s10 so I can run the motor but not strong enough to keep the lnb powered when the motor moves the dish. I do have a longer cable run to deal wit so I'm going to try boosting my line power either with a power inserter or a 2 x ? diseq switch so I can hook up a second stb for power only and see if that helps.

Suggest you go ahead. Lots of s10 users not complaining so maybe your set up will work and it will confirm its a good box. I like what I see on the fixed sat, just need to have it work like my old vs so I can hit 20 sats.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts