SG-2100 or SG-9120 for 36" dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

myth_user

Original poster
May 2, 2010
CA, USA
Hi all, I currently have a a GEOSATpro 36" Dish static setup and am considering moving to a motorized system. I was looking through Moteck SG-2100s on Ebay and also came across a heavy duty version model Powermax SG-9120, priced fairly comparatively.

The Powermax SG-9120 claims to have metal gears (vs plastic on the SG-2100) and seems to be recommended for bigger dishes. Has anyone have any experience with the SG-9120? Or will a SG-2100 provide long term reliable service for a 36" setup?

Many thanks

I've got a 9210; I'm just a little on the disappointed side because I think it's got more rotational "play" in the shaft than I thought it would. I haven't checked it again to make sure;. It is definitely a heavy duty motor, but get longer bolts to hold it to the pole mounting bracket; the bolts that come with it don't catch all the threads....

Last edited:
I just got the SG-9120 for my 1.2 Meter dish and I am very happy with it. (I have previously used the SG2100, and the GS120)

One issue that I see is that the SG-9120 only has a 55mm post (For dishes with U-Bolt mounting brackets) So I don't think you can mount the GEOSATpro90cm on it.

Edit: From their website: "Please note, this motor will NOT fit on Winegard DS2076 and most Fortec Star 80cm and 90cm antennas."

Edit: Drboyddrboyd - I am not seeing an noticeable play on my SG-9120,
I did have play on my last motor (which was very annoying) but that was because it was old and I wore it out.

I have 2 SG2100's

one is on my WInegard 30" dish and has been there since early 2004.
The other dish is a GeosatPro 36" dish and has been up for 2 years now.

Both have survived the cold Minnesota winters here just fine :)

I just got the SG-9120 for my 1.2 Meter dish and I am very happy with it. (I have previously used the SG2100, and the GS120)

One issue that I see is that the SG-9120 only has a 55mm post (For dishes with U-Bolt mounting brackets) So I don't think you can mount the GEOSATpro90cm on it.

Edit: From their website: "Please note, this motor will NOT fit on Winegard DS2076 and most Fortec Star 80cm and 90cm antennas."

This is a good point. The GEOSATpro 36" Dish does not have U-bolt mounts but a cylindrical clamp with screws, would not likely fit the 55mm post on the SG-9120, so likely to be more trouble than it's worth. Looks like I'll be going with a SG-2100. Thanks!:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)